COLUMN SHIFTER LINKAGE

zeitgeist57

Gaddamn...I was driving my truck up and down the driveway just because I'm afraid to get the shifter stuck again. The transmission is free, the linkages to the steering column are free, everything should work!

But...for some damn reason...

Between where the linkages join the steering column in the engine bay and my shifter in the cab, it keeps getting stuck in 1st gear. I can't figure it out. Once it's stuck, I have to turn off the engine (since it's stuck in gear it won't idle in neutral smile.gif ) open the hood and gently wiggle the linkages to free the shifter, and then I can go back into the cab and shift once or twice again before it gets stuck again.

SOMEONE HELP ME....AGAIN!!! smile.gif

P.s...really, this is a good truck. I'm just working out the kinks after so many years of not being used.

My grandpa's C10 did that a couple of times. Like you said, grab the linkage and yank it free. You need to clean all the linkage with parts cleaner and lube it with something slippery like grease or teflon, wd40 won't do it.