Laptops

Not like there's been 80 billion threads about this before, but I need some specific advice.

I'm getting a laptop for college, and it needs to be good. I'm lookin at Dell, HP/Compaq and Toshiba.

My biggest question for anyone that knows is: does all that "HT Technology" make a difference in the pentium 4 for wireless networking or is it just marketing bullshit.

DONT buy a TOSHIBA Satellite a75.. unless you want to have warranty work done 5 months after you bought it.. ihave to have hte mtoher board and faceplate replaced because of faulty wiring and non grounding of the speakers so it shorts out the motherboard.. but from what i am told after that they have no problems :(

Othere than that i have beeen happy with the performance of my laptop. The battery life sucks ass, but thats because i bought it for a desktop replacement.

HT is also for longer battery life too..

IN all honesty though, i would buy a toshiba.. just not the model i bought.

Originally posted by CaptainTerrific:

no hp/compaq period

I've heard mostly good things about hp/compaq. I almost went with a compaq V2000, but didn't need something with a screen that big. I ended up going with a Dell.

Originally posted by 10xworse:

Not like there's been 80 billion threads about this before, but I need some specific advice.

I'm getting a laptop for college, and it needs to be good. I'm lookin at Dell, HP/Compaq and Toshiba.

My biggest question for anyone that knows is: does all that "HT Technology" make a difference in the pentium 4 for wireless networking or is it just marketing bullshit.

You do not need Hyperthreading or a P4. Choose a processor chip that is made for a laptop, rather than the P4 which will require the fans to be on all the time. Just load up on a gig of ram and a 60+ gig hard drive. Stick to a Dell but check out www.gotapex.com for info on deals and coupons.

I've had a couple of dozen Dell laptops.

My last 2 work laptops were a Compaq and HP, in that order. Both were fine, just lacking in the ram dept. which caused them to be a bit slow, but no real complaints on each (though the Compaq would only hold it's battery charge, unused, for about a week, but it was a couple years old).

My new Laptop is a Dell something or other; only had it a couple days and haven't played w/ it much. So far so good, though the f'er is heavy.

Personally i'd look at Dell simply b/c they will be the cheapest and have the most extensive warranty (depending on warranty). a few week's ago they had a coupon for 750$ off of any notebook. If you can take advantage of a similar deal it would be worth it.

Originally posted by harry's94tsi:

Personally i'd look at Dell simply b/c they will be the cheapest and have the most extensive warranty (depending on warranty). a few week's ago they had a coupon for 750$ off of any notebook. If you can take advantage of a similar deal it would be worth it.

$750 off any notebook over $1999. $500 off anyone over $1699. $250 off anything over $1299 or something like that. Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up the codes for you.

VCLRVP1?N54H1Z $750 off select Inspiron Notebook purchases of $1999 or more. Coupon expires 5/12/05 at 5:59 am CT or after 3000 uses, whichever comes first.

H71N36VX36Z8DG $500 off select Inspiron Notebook purchases of $1599 or more. Coupon expires 5/12/05 at 5:59 am CT or after 3000 uses, whichever comes first.

B9PKG4DSBCB$CL $400 off select Inspiron Notebook purchases of $1399 or more. Coupon expires 5/12/05 at 5:59 am CT or after 3000 uses, whichever comes first.

These are good until the 12th or until they are used 3000 times. There will probably be a new set of coupons that come out the 13th or 14th if you need to wait. PM me if you have any questions.