Am I the only person who's pissed off about this?

smokin5s

Guest JoesGirlfriend
Man, if gas was that cheap around here, I'd be driving a monster blown big block 1st Gen F-body getting 5MPG, if that. That would rule. :D

Guest Crankshaft
<font color ="midnightblue"> A guy could make a killing over there if he could find a way to legally (or if he could get away with it, illegally) exporting processed oil to citizens in Britain or the US. Wonder if anyone's tried it.

we could have cheap stuff to if we were pumping oil out of our back yards, throw out the damn tree huggers and open up our own oil supplies,. build a couple refineries, stop making companies make 20+ different formulas of 87 gas, and watch the price fall.

When a taxi ride costs .17 and a car cost 3000 dollars, you have to wonder how much money anyone has. If you sell a product that costs a dollar to make for .10 but no one buy's it, how much money are you loosing.

I have no doubt that there are other reasons that this is happening, Yahoo does tend to lean a bit to the left in their reporting and to tend to write things to make them sound different than they actually are.

But, politics aside, we do have too many regulations, pertaining to air quality, controling the building of new fuel refineries, and the transporting and taxation of all motor fuels meant to be used for over the road vehicles. This is the reason that racing fuel does not jump around as much as pump gas. It is not meant to be used in street cars, and it not taxed as such. Farmers pay NO tax on diesel fuel and gas, which is a savings of about .50 a gallon. But this fuel is ONLY sold to farmers and if you are caught with it in your fuel tank (it is marked with a red dye) the fine is really bad ($5000) and semi's are checked all the time for the dye.

The tax laws also cover the manufacturing of your own fuel (soy diesel and grain alcohol) and you are required to pay the tax that you would normally pay if you were running pump gas. Also, you can NOT sell the home made fuel either without collecting these taxes and paying them to the federal, state, and possibly local goverment.

Guest stevil

This has been going on for awhile... they are just spotlighting it now to make certain political parties look bad for an upcoming election.

So the U.S. government pays about $1.50 a gallon to buy fuel in neighboring countries and deliver it to Iraqi stations.
The U.S. government paid even more last year for Iraqis' gasoline — between $1.59 and $1.70 per gallon
So we are saving money now, compared to last year. And compared to their economy, the gas prices sound right.

no offense but most of you guys are bitching about the prices of gas here. we have no room to complain compared to european gas prices.

In Britain, by contrast, gasoline prices hit $5.79 per gallon last week — $127 for a tankful.

i agree that the prices do suck, but if we were up to $5.79 a gallon i believe we would all be car pooling, driving honda's and owning a bus pass. not driving our 8 cyl. camaros and mustangs.

Guest Jonnygts
Originally posted by still2high:

no offense but most of you guys are bitching about the prices of gas here. we have no room to complain compared to european gas prices.

i agree that the prices do suck, but if we were up to $5.79 a gallon i believe we would all be car pooling, driving honda's and owning a bus pass. not driving our 8 cyl. camaros and mustangs.

Mustang costs too much for me right now. Id have a bike.

Guest Tony_K
Originally posted by still2high:

Not to diminish your post, just to paint more of the picture: In many cases, in Europe, a tank of gas will take you clear into another country. Land is such a precious commodity there. They just don't have far to go physically, so 1) it takes a lot longer to burn a tank of gas, and 2) public transportation is much more practical for them, being more densely populated.

For the average Fiat or Ford Ka driver, getting 30-40mpg in the city and actually driving maybe half the distance on average that an American does, the price of fuel does not impact life as much as the staggering amount of $5.79 per gallon sounds.

Originally posted by Tony K:

Not to diminish your post, just to paint more of the picture: In many cases, in Europe, a tank of gas will take you clear into another country. Land is such a precious commodity there. They just don't have far to go physically, so 1) it takes a lot longer to burn a tank of gas, and 2) public transportation is much more practical for them, being more densely populated.

For the average Fiat or Ford Ka driver, getting 30-40mpg in the city and actually driving maybe half the distance on average that an American does, the price of fuel does not impact life as much as the staggering amount of $5.79 per gallon sounds.

Just to add to that, I know in Germany the price of gas is regulated by the government.

Originally posted by Tony K:

For the average Fiat or Ford Ka driver, getting 30-40mpg in the city and actually driving maybe half the distance on average that an American does, the price of fuel does not impact life as much as the staggering amount of $5.79 per gallon sounds. [/QB]

when i was there that is all we used was public transportation. so i agree with you, but the only reason it is better is because of how expensive it is there. that is why you dont see to many high performace cars or suv's.