Beer Review: Bunratty Meade

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

Meads are quite the interesting bunch. Made from grapes, honey, spices and herbs, they could be classified as wine. However, since it is not made the way that wine is supposed to be made, meads get classified as beer. That is rather odd since it is closer to wine in taste, mouthfeel and alcohol content. Meads are probably, if not surely, the oldest alcoholic drink known to modern man since they date back to the beginning of civilization.

I found this example at the new Whole Foods and was coaxed out of $14 of my hard earned money to buy the 750ml bottle.

Bottle: The back of the bottle has Bunratty Meade written rather large with the following novel written below it:

“Bunratty Meade, Made from white wine with honey and herbs added recreates Mead, the drink of the ancient Guals and Anglo Saxons which was made from fermented honey and water. Mead soon made its way into the courts of the Four Kings of Ireland and no banquet was complete without it. This honey-based drink was believe to have powers of virility and fertility, and it became custom for the bride and groom to drink mead for one full moon after their wedding, hence the word “honeymoon.” In Ireland today, it is still a tradition to toast the bride and groom with a glass of Meade when they depart on their honeymoon from the wedding feast.

“Bunratty Meade can be drunk chilled, before meals or as a relaxing after dinner drink. You may also enjoy Meade on the rocks with a slice of lemon. In the winder, nothing takes the chill out better than Meade as a hot toddy. And you may wish to drink it at dinner with your chicken, turkey or game.”

The front of the bottle has a nice picture of a castle overlooking a lake. The only other important piece of information is the alcohol by volume which just so happens to be 14.7%.

Pour: The liquid pours out just like a white wine since no head or carbonation is present. The color is a light straw hue with a slight hint of a honey tone hiding in there somewhere. The liquid, when swirled, sticks to the glass much like liquor does. The smell reminds me of a Riesling wine with a bit of honey mixed in for an added bonus.

Taste: As a beer drinker, I can not for the life of me get over how weird the first taste is. I have had meads before but I can never get used to the taste. A sweet… no, that isn’t right. An absolutely breathtaking sweetness greets your palate as soon as you get the liquid near your mouth. I am not kidding when I say that mead emits more sweetness than Michael Jackson does to little boys. The weird thing is that it is not just sweetness, but sweetness with flavor. The sweet taste mixes with honey, spices and herbs that manage to go completely over the top of any other tastes within the drink. The only other taste sensation that is apparent is the throat warming that you get from high amounts of alcohol.

Overall: I could see most of you turning your nose up at this because of the sheer oddity of it all but really; you should give it a try. It makes a wonderful nightcap and could even be a nice conversation piece at a party. Mead is definitely not an everyday thing but every now and again good mead is decidedly a good thing. I recommend this drink for special occasions.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/meade.jpg