Couple questions about my dell laptop setup...

Bam

Ok, I just got RoadRunner and a wireless router setup in my new place and I'm using it with my Dell laptop.

What can I install to help block out hackers and all kinds of shit that I'm open too?

Also, I have a 5150 w/ the DVD/CD-RW combo drive on one side, and an empty bay on the other side.

Is there anywhere I can get a floppy bay thing for this computer other than DELL?

Lastly, can I run a wireless external mouse with this thing or what do I need to run just a mouse?

Thanks

Matt

Fuck Zonealarm, that just seems to give more problems than it's worth. Matt wants to keep other people from using his network, he didn't say anything about spyware, so that stuff doesn't really help.

What you need to do is log into your router, there are instructions to do so in the manual that came with it. You need turn on WEP and come up with a password, and fucking WRITE IT DOWN. Have the router come up with one at random, it will be something like 12 digits long. You'll just have to put that key into your laptop when you go to connect to the router again after getting it set up.

As for the other stuff, a wireless mouse should work just fine. I don't know about the empty bay, I've not messed with Dell's at all.

Ok, I've got a WPA/WEP encrypted password setup, but how do I only allow my MAC address through the router?

Thanks for the other answers, I've currently got Norton, Spyware Blaster, and AD Aware handling all my spyware and virus crap.

You need to go to wireless settings then go to mac address filter. And choose only allow MAC's listed to connect to the network. Find the MAC by opening up a command prompt and typing ipconfig/all if the wireless card is inside the pc. If it is a PCMCIA card then take it out and get the MAC off of it. Enter that in the table save settings and you are good to go.