Computer/Online issues, please help! (long)

Stallion Motorsports1647545491

Hey guys last night I was online, and happen to look down at the task bar. On the far right side where the task manager is it had a icon I have never seen, I couldn't close it either. Well I didnt really think anything of it, until I noticed that it had a percentage of a download done. At 78% I signed-off line. Soon after about 25-30 spyware pop up windows appeared, and the computer shut its self down.

Today when I signed online I could only view posts from yesterday. A error screen came up, and said "You may only view/work online, would you like to continue to work offline?" Then it had an option to connect or not???

What the hell? Please help?

I am computer stupid, so if you need more details let me know.

thanks in advance,

Tom

Guest stvbreal

See what's running in the background. Check Task Manager/Processes and see if anything looks odd. Tough to tell unless you know what is what. Also run MSCONFIG and see what processes are listed under Startup. More than likely it will be listed in there. You might also want to check Add/Remove Programs and see if anything in there looks odd, like stuff you have not installed yourslef. One more thing, check the root of C:\ and see if there are any .EXE's listed in there and let me know what they are. You realy should't have any .EXE's listed in there. Some are like e.exe, n.exe, single letter .EXE's. Another thing, delete all files in your temp directory, temporary internet files, history and cookies.

If you want Print Screen the Task Manager/Processes and MSCONFIG/Startup and post it on here. I will be able to tell what is causing the problem.

I use aol (I know, but its free), I just noticed that while on aol searching sites that IE, even though not opened was viewing other sites. Also the IE taskbar had a button on the top to delete "spyware that is on your computer". I deleted IE, so we will see what happens. Anyone have any ideas?

Tom

At least give Spybot and Ad-Aware a chance to clean it out, and if that's no help, then just nuke and pave, use firefox, and be careful which web sites you visit. The web really isn't a safe place for a Windows machine at all these days.

Originally posted by Stallion Motorsports:

I use aol (I know, but its free), I just noticed that while on aol searching sites that IE, even though not opened was viewing other sites. Also the IE taskbar had a button on the top to delete "spyware that is on your computer". I deleted IE, so we will see what happens. Anyone have any ideas?

Tom

If you are running anything over Win95 then you did not actually delete IE. And if it's XP, you really did not delete it. XP relies on IE for a lot of important OS-related tasks to the point that when you open your control panel, that's IE that's used to display it to you. If you deleted it, your copy of Windows would not work properly. Everything else, it's such a pain in the ass to remove IE that it's not worth trying for most people.

Originally posted by EvilEvo:

See what's running in the background. Check Task Manager/Processes and see if anything looks odd. Tough to tell unless you know what is what. Also run MSCONFIG and see what processes are listed under Startup. More than likely it will be listed in there. You might also want to check Add/Remove Programs and see if anything in there looks odd, like stuff you have not installed yourslef. One more thing, check the root of C:\ and see if there are any .EXE's listed in there and let me know what they are. You realy should't have any .EXE's listed in there. Some are like e.exe, n.exe, single letter .EXE's. Another thing, delete all files in your temp directory, temporary internet files, history and cookies.

If you want Print Screen the Task Manager/Processes and MSCONFIG/Startup and post it on here. I will be able to tell what is causing the problem.

Steve, you are the man. I don't really reconize any of the programs so I am typing them up for you to look at.

Thanks,

Tom

Guest stvbreal
Honeslty, I have nothing running but systray and some little system progs that go with my Vaio TR2 laptop, for the built in cam.. I hate anything that runs in the background. If I want to use it I will open the program myself. You'll be amazed how much faster your PC will run. SOme people like all that crap like Weatherbug, Print configs, ticker tapes, news, even anti virus. Not that anti virus is bad it's that it slows the piss out of your system. Unless you have some big badass system.

He's right. Having a bunch of crap in the system tray all the time is like driving around with a little U-Haul trailer hitched to yor car 24/7. Just slows you down when you could get the same functionality by only hooking it up when you had something to haul. I see way too man people with 10-15 icons there, and there's really no point to that. At most, maybe a good software firewall (even if you have a router) and a couple other things you *really* want, like the volume control is enough

... and Weatherbug = Spyware, so it should NEVER be there :D

Guest stvbreal

I would take all out except for:

Direct CD, unless you use it alot. If not just start it yourself when you need to use it.

digital cin detect, seems like a web cam or something. you got one of those? Maybe a scanner/printer.

All others shitcan, well uncheck. Hell if you want uncheck all of them and reboot. Worse case scenario you won't boot up but that is highly unlikely. If it does happen go int Safe Mode and turn them back on.

Process

cidaemon.exe

wuauclt.exe

aolwbspd.exe

waol.exe

aol.exe

downloadplus.exe

dlg.exe

wanmpsvc.exe

svchost.exe

scsiaccess.exe

wo.exe

cisvc.exe

lespps.exe

spoolsr.exe

lexbccs.exe

explorer.exe

mmod.exe

svhost.exe 4 times

lsass.exe

services.exe

winogon.exe

csrss.exe

smss.exe

mcagent.exe

qbuome.exe

these are only the questionable ones.

Guest stvbreal

cidaemon.exe

wuauclt.exe - end

aolwbspd.exe

waol.exe - end

aol.exe - end - unless yo have it open

downloadplus.exe - end

dlg.exe - end

wuauclt.exe - end

svchost.exe

scsiaccess.exe

wo.exe - end

cisvc.exe

lespps.exe

spoolsr.exe

lexbccs.exe

explorer.exe

mmod.exe - end

svhost.exe 4 times

lsass.exe

services.exe

winogon.exe

csrss.exe

smss.exe

mcagent.exe - end

qbuome.exe - end

Looks like your running a SCSI drive.

Guest stvbreal

Turn the AOL stuff back on.

waol.exe

aol.exe

I doubt it has anything to do with IE. AOL doesn't us it to connect. Worst case reinstall AOL. What exactly does it do when you try to connect? You use dial up correct?