Looking for a good, smaller "hole in the wall" microbrew-pub

excell

Got a couple good buddies coming into town tonight. They want to hit a good "hole in the wall" type microbrew pub place. I'd hit the brewery district, but those places are too damn busy and too "clubish" (at least the ones I've been to).

Anyone have any good ideas for less busy, quieter microbrew pubs?

Thanks,

Guest riggs867

+1 for Byrnes

They have PBR, that's a micro-brew right?

Nice eye candy, and all the important beers (Guiness, Blue Moon, Stella Artois, etc.) on tap. Plus, they have Old Grandad's pizza, and everything is inexpensive there.

Elevator on High between Spring and Long on the West side of the street.

Barleys. Brewhouse No. 1 is in the brewery district on the Westside of High right in front of the North Market/Across High from the Convention Center. Brewhouse No. 2 is on 33 (River Side Dr. not sure what it's called there) just West of Grandview Ave on the North side of the road.

I highly suggest any of these, you can't go wrong. You can probably spend more time at the Elevator and not get bored though.

A friend came in for the Cincinnati game and I basically wanted to do the same thing. We went and had dinner and the beer sampler at the Elevator, played some pool and looked around the place. I cannot emphasize how amazing some of the architecture (floor, bar, ceiling, glass), stained glass, paintings and pool tables are in this place. If you go there look at the stained glass angle on the righ hand side and her gown, also make sure you walk into the two front 'round' places and look up. Then we shoot over to Barleys for a beer, appetizer and played some darts. Both places have good food, just different. Ask for the Firkin at Barleys.

Avoid Gordon Biersch like the plague. I hate that place.

Those are the places that I've been in Columbus and which ones I like and don’t' like. graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh, and unlike what the other places people have suggested in this thread seem to be, these places are Micro Brewery’s. They brew their own beer. tongue.gif Except for Gordon Biersch, they brew some beer, but they are a yuppie club.

Byrne's is ok, i don't like it particularly. you could go to Mickey's around the corner, a definite "hole in the wall" ...but i think they have Kareoke tonight, and it gets a decent crowd, and it's cheap!...but cash only

Elevator is cool, Brazenhead is a nice "pub" atmosphere.