New Car: Poll

Guest Crankshaft

Guest Crankshaft

<font color ="midnightblue"> Ok. So I'm in the market for a new car. Not sure exactly what to buy, but my price range hits from 15-35k. That's a fairly decent range. And, in order of first preferrence to last, here are the following cars I'm considering.

-Mustang Mach 1 (2003/04)

-Mustang SVT Cobra (2003/04)

-Nissan 350z Track Model

-Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe

-Saab 93 Sport Sedan

-Subaru Impreza WRX STi

-Pontiac Firebird Trans AM (2002 only)

-Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T (2004/05)

-Volkswagen Jetta (2002-05)

-Volkswagen Golf GTI 1.8T (2002-2005)

-Chevrolet Corvette 350 (1999-2003)

-Ford Focus (2000-04)

-Mini Cooper (S) (2003-2005)

That's my list. My primary concern is price vs. performance, followed closely by elegance, sophistication of design and package, and practicality within the specified market. I think for it's price of $27,000, the Mach 1 performs admirably. Hell, it beats out the 350z track model in acceleration by 2 to 3 tenths of a second, and costs a full 5 to 6 grand less. Certainly it's not the most sophisticated of cars, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for its looks and performance. Other than that, my options are open. Suggestions?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Varioram
My dad is selling his 01' Corvette Z06 for 32K if your intrested. your talking about price vs performance well I dont think any of those cars would come close to a Z06 for 32K. Other than that I would tell you to hell with it and buy the WRX STI.

I like the AWD of the STI, so thats where I would go. I'd definately stay away from the Focus because there are just way too many of the things around and as for performance, they just aren't a fun car to drive in my opinion.

If it were me this would be my list. Favorite to crapola.

-Mustang SVT Cobra (2003/04)

-Chevrolet Corvette 350 (1999-2003)

-Subaru Impreza WRX STi

-Mustang Mach 1 (2003/04)

-Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe

-Pontiac Firebird Trans AM (2002 only)

-Nissan 350z Track Model

-Mini Cooper (S) (2003-2005)

-Saab 93 Sport Sedan

-Volkswagen Golf GTI 1.8T (2002-2005)

-Volkswagen Jetta (2002-05)

-Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T (2004/05)

-Ford Focus (2000-04)

Originally posted by Varioram:

My dad is selling his 01' Corvette Z06 for 32K if your intrested. your talking about price vs performance well I dont think any of those cars would come close to a Z06 for 32K.

Uh, you can buy a new 03/04 Cobra for 28K and, with just $500 in mods, be on a completely level performance playing field with a stock Z06. Now, take that 28K and add 4K in mods (which would then put you at the price of your dad's Z06), and you could drag a stock Z06 around 270 all day long.

Maybe you meant to say "The Z06 carries a certain prestige that a Mustang, even a Cobra, cannot." That I can agree with. However, when you are talking about performance, both stock and potential, relative to price, the 03/04 Cobra, IMO, is the clear winner.

BTW, Garrett, I'd be willing to sell you my car. Only 7,000 miles and, as it sets right now, it's putting down well over 500hp and approaching 700tq. If you're interested, PM me. I realize you said you are in the market for a new car, but I thought I'd throw that out there for you anyway.

Originally posted by Rump Ranger:

can you wait till the new mustangs and vettes come out, i think you would regret it getting a new car right before those two hit the streets

The new C6 will be far beyond his price range, and a new Mustang will still be considerably slower (and not to mention uglier) than the 03/04 Mach 1s and Cobras.

Guest Crankshaft

<font color ="midnightblue"> As far as waiting for the new Mustang/Corvette? When I graduate, I've already been promised a new (2008) Cobra. I'm a freshman now, and the car I'm buying is intended to get me comfortably through the next four years.

And my reason for the Mach 1 is that A.) with a supercharger, it's faster than a Cobra, and cheaper, and B.) I like the looks and hood cowl a bit more; it's a fairly boss car.

Negs against the STI (though AWD is a big plus) are that it's a little too... "flashy", perhaps? Too much show. Stickers, gold rims, big ass wing...( I know you can alter those afterwards, but still).

Jason, that's also a good order, though the Mach 1 would still be first.

And John, check your inbox. ;)

Thanks for the input guys. Keep the ideas coming. I'm probably not going to decide for another few weeks, but it's good to get a plan going ahead of time.

-garrett

I really like the 350z I mean shit, wasn't there a vid of one running a 10 or 11 and they just came out. There market may be weak but all the shit you can do to them already looks promising.

Originally posted by Rane:

I really like the 350z I mean shit, wasn't there a vid of one running a 10 or 11 and they just came out. There market may be weak but all the shit you can do to them already looks promising.

I don't recall the vid you are referring to, but I'll bet any sum of money that a new 350Z that runs even 11s has a huge amount of money dumped into mods.

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by Rane:

<font color ="midnightblue"> Being that the new Ferrari Enzo, the fastest production car in the world, does the quarter mile in 11.2 seconds, there's no chance in hell the 350z does. Check here for more details.

"Nissan 350Z (continued)

We're delighted to report that this hardware makes for more than an impressive spec sheet. How does this sound: 0 to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds at 101 mph? How about 0.88 g of cornering stick, a stopping distance from 70 mph to standstill in 164 feet, and a top speed of 156 mph?"

Check it out.

Though I really like the way the new Z looks, it's price vs. performance value just can't compete with other cars in the same range.

Yea, It was modded and I do remember he blew it but still. Give the car time for some real parts to come out and I'm impressed. Plus you wont be sitting next to 4 or 5 of them the same color at a meet :-p.

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by 99BlownYellowGT:

Actually a supercharged Mach 1 will run you more than a Cobra. It costs a 5-6000 to supercharge a mustang. Its not just throwing a supercharger on it and calling it a day. Youve got upgrading fuel system tuning etc.

<font color ="midnightblue"> Fair enough, but even minus an SC, the M1 is still faster than most production cars on the road, including the new GTO. 5.1 to 60 vs. 5.3/5.4.

Why not a VW R32?

You get the AWD and decent HP out of a N/A 6-cylinder. Drop 3k for a S/C or a lot more for twin turbo. Also, where the R32 lacks in HP compared to the STI or Evo, it makes up for with fit and finish and interior quality.

Just my opinion.