New Car: Poll

Guest Crankshaft

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you want mostly RWD,AWD OR FWD cause the options are going to be a little easier to decide after knowing this. If you want AWD the choices are kinda simple. You could look at a regualr WRX and then mod the hell out of it for the money it cost to get the STi. If you want RWD get the Mach1. I think that those cars just look nice with the hood to accent the body. but there is also something you have to ask yourself. do you forced induction or N/A. remember you have to get 4 years out of this beast.

Guest Crankshaft

<font color ="midnightblue">

Originally posted by Corolla sans Engine:

2001 BMW 540i

Then prepare for the Dinan supercharger. graemlins/thumb.gif

<font color ="midnightblue"> I like it... hadn't even considered a 5-series. With a Dinan, it might not be bad. Hell, even without one, it's still classy as all hell. Excellent recommendation.

Originally posted by Jelloman457:

do you want mostly RWD,AWD OR FWD cause the options are going to be a little easier to decide after knowing this. If you want AWD the choices are kinda simple. You could look at a regualr WRX and then mod the hell out of it for the money it cost to get the STi. If you want RWD get the Mach1. I think that those cars just look nice with the hood to accent the body. but there is also something you have to ask yourself. do you forced induction or N/A. remember you have to get 4 years out of this beast.

RWD, FWD, AWD... it doesn't weigh greatly in my decision. Of course if it were AWD I'd be looking at an A4 or the STi, but really I don't care. FWD isn't really preferred, and that's my only issue with the VW's. I'm comfortable with rear, so really that's the direction I'm going. As for induction? As long as the 0-60 time is under 6, forced induction is only a perk, not a must. Though if the car is in a generous price range with forced ind, then that's a heavy factor in its favor.

Originally posted by Venomss:

Uh, you can buy a new 03/04 Cobra for 28K and, with just $500 in mods, be on a completely level performance playing field with a stock Z06. Now, take that 28K and add 4K in mods (which would then put you at the price of your dad's Z06), and you could drag a stock Z06 around 270 all day long.

Maybe you meant to say "The Z06 carries a certain prestige that a Mustang, even a Cobra, cannot." That I can agree with. However, when you are talking about performance, both stock and potential, relative to price, the 03/04 Cobra, IMO, is the clear winner

Guess what....there's more to a cars performance than just straight line. Basically, stock for stock the Z06 will out accelerate the 03/04 Cobra. But lets not forget out handle and out brake, plus it being a nicer car inside and out.

Seriously, a used Z06 outclasses every car listed....by a good margin.

Originally posted by QuikSilver:

Why not a VW R32?

You get the AWD and decent HP out of a N/A 6-cylinder. Drop 3k for a S/C or a lot more for twin turbo. Also, where the R32 lacks in HP compared to the STI or Evo, it makes up for with fit and finish and interior quality.

Just my opinion.

+1, I was thinking that too. If you like Golfs why not the R32. Especially if its to get you around for a few years only. Good gas mileage, very long lasting motor, plus a nice amount of performance to back it. Its also not a car you see every day so theres some uniqueness to it.

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Guess what....there's more to a cars performance than just straight line. Basically, stock for stock the Z06 will out accelerate the 03/04 Cobra. But lets not forget out handle and out brake, plus it being a nicer car inside and out.

<font color ="midnightblue"> However much I'd love to have this car, , there is no way that thing is coming off the auction block at less than 35-40k. And I would really prefer to keep this a bit below 35- that's just my absolute cap. If you can find a Z06 for a solid 26-30k, hit me up, cause that's probably what I'd end up getting. And though I agree they out-perform the Mustang significantly, in all reality, they're just too expensive.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Agreed, the Z06 does outclass every car that was listed. Hence, my quote in saying something to the effect of "The Z06 carries more prestige than a Cobra."

On another note, I have a hard time accepting the "but-there's-more-than-straight-line-performance" to a car. Granted, some cars go around corners better than others, etc., etc. But, every time I hear something like that, I think about the guys in golfing who reference putting as being an essential part of the game. Yeah, technically it is, but which gives you more thrill, and what makes the girls panties wetter: sinking a 20 foot putt or blasting a 300 yard drive down the middle of the fairway?

In the end, though, I know we all have our preferences, and I know you're a fairly hardcore GM guy. So, I won't be offended if you're not moved by my metaphors.

Originally posted by The Silent God:

-Pontiac Firebird Trans AM (2002 only)

Why 2002 only? :confused: The 01's and 02's were identical and they have some nice upgrades from the 00's, including no EGR and the LS6 intake. Unless you are concerned with finding an 2002 for its possible balance of factory warranty.

That being said, my vote is for an 03 Cobra. There is no better bang for the buck out there right now, if RWD performance is your thing. I saw a used 03 Cobra with 1K miles for $25K the other day. That's a pretty sweet deal. Or go a slightly different route and pick up an STI or Evo. All good cars... graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by Wease:

Why 2002 only? :confused: The 01's and 02's were identical and they have some nice upgrades from the 00's, including no EGR and the LS6 intake. Unless you are concerned with finding an 2002 for its possible balance of factory warranty.

That being said, my vote is for an 03 Cobra. There is no better bang for the buck out there right now, if RWD performance is your thing. I saw a used 03 Cobra with 1K miles for $25K the other day. That's a pretty sweet deal. Or go a slightly different route and pick up an STI or Evo. All good cars... graemlins/thumb.gif

<font color ="midnightblue"> Factory warranty was the big concern, though if an '01 came by for a good deal, I'd have no qualms picking it up. 01/02 Trans Ams were a thing of beauty. I'll never forgive GM for cancelling them, and picking up the "GTO". They threw out an American classic, and brought in an over-priced imposter from Australia and called it an American classic "reborn". Bah. Keep it.

And an Evo isn't on the list because it doesn't even match the performance of the car it's competing against.

Hmm... overall, the '03 Cobra seems to be the car of choice. Interesting.

Aren't you in Colorado right now too, making a RWD car hard to drive half of the year, especially if it's a high-powered one? Just kind of wondering, if this is the case, why you are leaning more towards a RWD instead of looking hard into some more AWD cars.

Originally posted by copperhead:

You are in college, in Colorado. Wanting something fast.

For practicality, I would suggest finding a GMC Typhoon. Just make sure you've got a boost controller and a seperate set of wheels with snow tires mounted on them.

Although those are badass, he seems like he wants something much newer than that. I don't know much about the different trucks and SUV's but I know you do. Why don't you suggest something new(er) he could get in his price range in AWD.

Also Silent God, please don't take any offense to this, but how are you going to be able to afford this (and insurance for alot of these cars)? Just wondering, if you, or your parents are well off, that’s fine. I just remember you posting about something a few days ago that looked like a get rich quick scheme and am worried that you are putting the cart in front of the horses. :(

because the only new thing that fits that criteria is the silverado SS, which sucks ass unless you are desperate for AWD. Lightning's eat them up, but are RWD.

New SUV's blow too, unless you don't care about speed. The only new AWD SUV's are luxo-barges, and they are only AWD because the retarded soccer-mom's can't drive RWD without killing themselves. graemlins/gay.gif

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=170345277&dealer_id=&car_year=1993&search_type=used&make=GMC&model=TYPH&transmission=&distance=any&address=43016&advanced=y&max_mileage]http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=170345277&dealer_id=&car_year=1993&search_type=used&make=GMC&model=TYPH&transmission=&distance=any&address=43016&advanced=y&max_mileage"]http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=170345277&dealer_id=&car_year=1993&search_type=used&make=GMC&model=TYPH&transmission=&distance=any&address=43016&advanced=y&max_mileage =&max_price=&min_price=&end_year=2005&start_year=1984&drive=&engine=&body_style=&advcd_on=y&doors=&fuel=&color=&cardist=1161]http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=170345277& dealer_id=&car_year=1993&search_type=used&make=GMC&model=TYPH&transmission=&distance=any&address=43016&advanced=y&max_mileage]http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=170345277 &dealer_id=&car_year=1993&search_type=used&make=GMC&model=TYPH&transmission=&distance=any&address=43016&advanced=y&max_mileage =&max_price=&min_price=&end_year=2005&start_year=1984&drive=&engine=&body_style=&advcd_on=y&doors=&fuel=&color=&cardist=1161]

That truck is located in Denver, CO. The price is a bit steep, but the thing has incredibly LOW milage.

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by Neo:

Although those are badass, he seems like he wants something much newer than that. I don't know much about the different trucks and SUV's but I know you do. Why don't you suggest something new(er) he could get in his price range in AWD.

Also Silent God, please don't take any offense to this, but how are you going to be able to afford this (and insurance for alot of these cars)? Just wondering, if you, or your parents are well off, that’s fine. I just remember you posting about something a few days ago that looked like a get rich quick scheme and am worried that you are putting the cart in front of the horses. :(

I do tend to do that; count my eggs before they hatch, so to speak, but fortunately, this is unrelated to my 'get rich quick' scheme. My parents have offered to help with a vehicle as long as I keep my grades up. Thus my optimism on the matter. And yes, I do want something newer. And as far wanting a truck goes? I'm a car guy. Lightnings, typhoons, SRT10's etc are nice, but that's just not what I'm after.

Originally posted by Jelloman457:

get a typhoon those things are straight up mean. or get an s-10 blazer and drop a 5.7 in it like i did. it wont work very well in snow though. smile.gif

<font color ="midnightblue"> That's far too much work than I'm willing to put into a vehicle. If it needs a new engine, it probably wouldn't hurt to refurbish the interior, either. And 1- I don't wanna buy a separate engine, 2- I don't know anyone around here who can/will do it 3- I want a sheek car that I don't have to fiddle with. My engine building/car maintenance capacity is next to nill besides changing the oil/tires, and I don't want to be the one responsible for making sure it runs; I'll let the factory technicians under warranty take care of that.

When I have the time to dick with it, I've got a '70 Cuda AAR lined up. But that's a quite a few off-ramps down the road. So until then, I want a boxed-and-ready-to-roll performance machine. And at this point, it's down to the line on the Mach 1 and the Cobra.

As far as AWD goes for the winter? The winters here in Boulder aren't bad enough to warrant AWD; and, after taking my old GT through an Ohio winter (which is much worse), I say to hell with it. I'm sticking with what I know, unless a car that happens to have AWD turns out to be a better deal financially.

Finally, to top it off, I'm just a mustang guy. Had an 01' GT, had to sell it, but I still loved the car. That said, I'm open to options, but I'll always be a fan of mustangs.

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by Neo:

I was assuming the winters there were much, much worse than here. I've heard that from other people too, that's very surprising.

<font color ="midnightblue"> I can't say from first hand experience, but from everyone I've talked to around here, the saying goes, "If it snows at night, it's off by noon". *shrug* I hope they're right.

Originally posted by QuikSilver:

Why not a VW R32?

You get the AWD and decent HP out of a N/A 6-cylinder. Drop 3k for a S/C or a lot more for twin turbo. Also, where the R32 lacks in HP compared to the STI or Evo, it makes up for with fit and finish and interior quality.

Just my opinion.

+1... or just save some of that money to mod the 08 cobra the day you get it :D:D:D:D

Guest Varioram
Originally posted by The Silent God:

Being that the new Ferrari Enzo, the fastest production car in the world

What the hell are you on? The Enzo is not even close. The Mclaren would whoop the Enzo...Not to meantion the 1000hp Bugati EB4 Veyron. and if thats not enough, the Porsche Carrera GT was 1.23 seconds faster around the NRing. Ferrari makes fast cars I'll give them that but they are not the fastest. Just a quick flashy car with badge and high price tag that seldom weighs under 3500lbs. graemlins/nonono.gif