Half Life 2 release.. good game so far.

dragknee66

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played Counter Strike: Source and the ragdoll physics and graphics are AMAZING! Totaly engrossing.

Right now I am 76 minutes away from playing (downloading HL2 from Source).

Argh...the wait....the wait....

Guest 00Smurf

So where is everyone at in the game? I'm on the second map of the shore road. I must say the buggy is sweet. The ant lions are mean as fuck.

as far as performance goes, i'm pulling about 75fps on average this is on a:

p4 2.4 o/c to 2.88

1gb pc2700 o/c to pc3200 (dual channel)

ati x800 pro o/c to xt pe speeds (535 core/575 mem)

80 gb 8/mb cache 7200 rpm hd

sb audigy 2

settings i run are:

1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF all details on max

this game defintatly rocks though.

Originally posted by gergwheel:

wow those screenshots are AMAZING! I'm gonna have to go buy this tomorrow, can you play without the cd?

Haven't tried. I don't think it hits the CD when you play. But good luck trying to use the same CD to install it on more than one computer - Steam seems to have it locked down.

You can play "offline mode" not connected to the internet once you've set up a steam account (which I've done though it took hours), then entered your CD key into valve's db over the internet(which I haven't done yet, their servers are getting pounded). There doesn't seem to be local encryption - they're probably tracking keys on their own server. Nice model for foiling pirates, even if it sucks ass for convenience. Regardless someone will crack it eventually.

I'm not sure if in offline mode you need the physical cd.

I dunno - it doesnt seem to be taxing my system anywhere NEAR what Doom3 did.

And they REALLY got the facial expressions and lip sync down pat. Its really impressive.

Needs camera bob, louder footfalls for your own feet, and a real difference between walk and run.

6600 would be worth it to those with a PCI Express slot sure. I dont know if the AGP version has been released yet or not. After reading a little more.. it seems like some people may have one, but doesnt seem they have many out. Confusing.

Im going to be selling in a month or so yes.

[ 17. November 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: DragKnee66 ]

Guest 00Smurf

yea they released the 6600 agp version today. saw it on toms hardware guide, it beats out a 9800 pro 128 by 50% on average.

as for hl2. i've got the no activation crack, that lets you play in offline mode without a cd key and without registering with steam.

Originally posted by 00Smurf:

yea they released the 6600 agp version today. saw it on toms hardware guide, it beats out a 9800 pro 128 by 50% on average.

as for hl2. i've got the no activation crack, that lets you play in offline mode without a cd key and without registering with steam.

That ROCKS I hate that shit that you've gotta have an internet connection just to play single player mode!

I upgraded my PC yesterday, and got the game. when I went to install it, I had to goto Veritas' house last night around 2 AM to setup and see how I can play. Unfortunatly, I've got the Geforce4 FX 5200. It plays and looks great, but there's issues with the video and sound pausing for a couple moments at a time frequently. So a new Video card is deffenitly on my list. Anyone got one available for sale? 8-)

Originally posted by 00Smurf:

The reason I won't be buying the game for sure. Apparently STEAM crashes constantly making it very difficult to even play the game in single player mode, so I'll keep my money -- thanks Valve.

I had to break down and buy it. Circuit City doesn't have it.. they said they normally don't get PC games until a few days after it's released (retarded).

Anyways. I'm rolling on my Athlon 1200 (clocked to 1300), 64 mb Geforce 4 card and a gig of ram. Works ok.. but just about all the time now, I get this trailing crap.. like the old trailing mouse in windows. It's pretty annoying. Is that the video card or something else? When I turn the flash light on, it kinda goes away. When I turn it off, it goes nuts. Half the time you really can't see the screen cause it looks like one big ass mouse trail

Anyone? smile.gif .