Quote from Beowulf

Guest Crankshaft

Guest Crankshaft

<font color ="midnightblue"> I need some help finding that famous quote from Beowulf (that was also used a few times in 13th Warrior); it begins something like, "Lo there do I see my father, and my brother and my family and ancestors for generations...". It's a fair approximation of how it begins, but not quite accurate. I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about. Thanks for any help.

EDIT - I found the 13th Warrior version, but I'm pretty sure there's a longer version in the Legend of Beowulf. Here's the 13th Warrior segment:

'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers.

'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

dude, dont put that in your sig unless you're a pegan. I know it, but I'm holding out, in fear that you'll do just that. tongue.gif

Eaters of the Dead > Movie, though I dug the movie. The origional, brought into english, isn't as pleasing to the ears anyways, go with the flick quote. graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest Crankshaft

<font color ="midnightblue"> Lol, I have no intention of putting it in my sig. It's big enough as it is. And yes, as usual, the book was better than the movie. Big surprise. If you have the quote, however, I'd really appreciate it if you'd post it. I can't find it on google, or my copy of Beowulf I have here at home, so your help would be nice. smile.gif I don't want the polished Hollywood version, I'd like the original, pre-9th century version (preferably translated from Old English, but if you can post both, that's even better). It'd be awesome to have the untranslated version to accompany it.

Interesting side note, I was reading a book called, "The Utmost Island", about Vikings in Iceland, and apparently "eaters of the dead", or "eaters of raw flesh" is a translation of Old Norse for "Eskimos". Makes you think twice about giving someone an "eskimo kiss". Another Norse word for the Innuits was "Skraeling", which of course Age of Mythology made good use of. If anyone is interested in Vikings or Norse culture, I'd reccomend getting a copy of that book; it's really quite a good adventure story, and quite historically accurate.

how bout

'Lo, I see here my father and mother'

'Lo, now I see all my deceased relatives sitting'

'Lo, there is my master, who is sitting in Paradise. Paradise is so beautiful, so green. With him are his men and boys. He calls me, so bring me to him.'

Not neccesarily just from Beowulf, its a funeral prayer type dealy, used alot 'back in the day', though I'm sure there were different spins on it from village to village.

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by Car Enthusiast:

i <3 snorrili snorleson sp?

<font color ="midnightblue"> Snorri Sturluson. And he wrote the Prose Edda, not Beowulf. But maybe you already knew that? Many themes from Beowulf are taken from heathen Germanic traditions, as well as the religios epics of the Vikings. It is also believed that Grendel may have, in fact, been a real person, and was simply a Viking "berserker" running amok. It is quite probable this is the case, and that any far fetched details about Grendel were merely a skald's exaggerations. Berseker's worked themselves into what was called war fetters, where they'd kill anything (friend, foe...cow) that came into their way. They were outcasts among their own people, and generally lived alone with other berserkers. Another interesting note is that the emperor Constantine used Berserkers as personal body guards. But this is kinda rambling... anyways, it's a good topic. Vikings pwn. Period. (should make a movie).

eaters of the dead = great book.

when i go home this weekend i'll bust out my copy of beowulf see if i can dig it out. I can picture the quote you talking about. time to go digging

are you sure they call it valhalla in the real version of the book. i thought it was citadel or some shit

[ 01. June 2005, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: CaptainTerrific ]

Guest Crankshaft
<font color ="midnightblue"> Thanks kyle. And no, I'm not sure if it's actually Valhalla. I have no idea what it really is, but that's what they used in 13th Warrior. :confused: