Digital cable people....

black00ws6

Originally posted by Blowzilla:

Are there component video connections on the back of your cable box??

With WOW, there are component video contections on the HD and HD DVR (high definition digital video recorder) boxes.

THey both have DVI connectors too, but currently Scientific Atlanta doesn't have software for them to work (they say they will in the future). :( We also don't have the firmware for the USB and Firewire ports. :( The HD boxes also have the ability to change their output display format: 1080i, 720p, 480i and p (in 16:9 and 4:3 for 480). The standard HD box requires you to use the component video output or the info/guide stuff doesn't work. The HD DVR allows other outputs to do all of the functions without using the component output.

Also, both the standard digital and DVR boxes have digital coaxial sound outputs; the HD and HD DVR boxes have that plus optical digital (Toslink) as well.

I know Time Warners uses identical DVR's to what we do, but I'm not sure if they offer an HD DVR or not. Their standard digital boxes are similar, basically Scientific Atlanta boxes with Pioneer badging on them and different firmware.

Okay I have some technical questions for you that others have not been able to fix. The digital stations like HBO and Starz have lower sound levels than other stations. I've had techs try stuff like reseting the box, tried upping the sound levels on them, but nothing seems to work. Also had guys redo the connect at the box, one said it was on the main line, any way to fix that? It just sucks to remember to turn the volume back down when switching between ESPN and HBO.

Originally posted by nathan96:

Okay I have some technical questions for you that others have not been able to fix. The digital stations like HBO and Starz have lower sound levels than other stations. I've had techs try stuff like reseting the box, tried upping the sound levels on them, but nothing seems to work. Also had guys redo the connect at the box, one said it was on the main line, any way to fix that? It just sucks to remember to turn the volume back down when switching between ESPN and HBO.

Mine does the same thing. Never bothered trying to figure it out.

It's not always the programming, but can be at times.

Here is a trick that works with Scientific Atlanta digi boxes (all WOW digi boxes, TW DVR's and probably their digi boxes too).

Hit the setting button twice (this gets you into the big settings menu).

Set Audio Range to Narrow

Set Auto Control to Fixed

This will help with some of that issue. Beyond that, it's just simply the programming.