I'm kinda bummed at this

Science Abuse

http://www.everestnews.com/stories2005/everestcopter05232005.htm

I love experimental aviation. But this is also kind of a sad day in the history of the world. It's one of those things that ya just dont think should happen, despite knowing that it eventualy would. It should be noted that chances are still one in a hundred that weather will allow you to get near anything solid.

But still, magnificent and depressing technological acheivement. Maybe they can use it to haul littered O2 tanks down from the high camp.

Wow, I am surprised they did it. The small amount of oxygen available and thin air for the rotor to bite into. Pretty impressive. It does kind of cheapen the whole reaching the summit of everest thing, but still amazing.

Originally posted by Akula:

Wow, I am surprised they did it. The small amount of oxygen available and thin air for the rotor to bite into. Pretty impressive. It does kind of cheapen the whole reaching the summit of everest thing, but still amazing.

Actualy, if one were to jsut be dropped off on the summit, having left the base where the chopper parks, they would be dead of cerebral adema very very quickly. Having an oxygen tank doesn't keep your head pressurized. ;)

Most fatalities on Everest are from weather, so it realy cant be used much for rescue, perhaps just body retreival.

i'm not sure if its as much as the density of air having to do with the rotor not having enough to bite into but more of a not enough oxygen for the engine to perform combustion.

thats why some smaller planes run a turbo in order to increase oxygen density for the fuel to burn.

i'm no aviator, i may be wrong.

Originally posted by RX7dood:

i'm not sure if its as much as the density of air having to do with the rotor not having enough to bite into but more of a not enough oxygen for the engine to perform combustion.

thats why some smaller planes run a turbo in order to increase oxygen density for the fuel to burn.

Its both. ;) At sea level, that engine could produce insane power, but up there its just enough. The tough part is actively tuning it for climbing into the upper atmosphere. The output/metering at base (16,500ft) and at 29,000 ft are very different. If they tried to run it at 100% at sea level, or even at 10,000 ft, it would snap the blades off.

They've been testing this thing for quite a while out there, and fianly found a day calm enough that they could summit. Some of the guys on Summitpost have written about seeing it during testing, refering to it like a UFO in Nevada, but with more suprise. "WTF is that sound?....WTF is that doing up here!?"

Originally posted by The Stig:

Its both. ;) At sea level, that engine could produce insane power, but up there its just enough. The tough part is actively tuning it for climbing into the upper atmosphere. The output/metering at base (16,500ft) and at 29,000 ft are very different. If they tried to run it at 100% at sea level, or even at 10,000 ft, it would snap the blades off.

They've been testing this thing for quite a while out there, and fianly found a day calm enough that they could summit. Some of the guys on Summitpost have written about seeing it during testing, refering to it like a UFO in Nevada, but with more suprise. "WTF is that sound?....WTF is that doing up here!?"

Dude, I just got a Profec for my Helicopter!

Blow the welds on your copter blades!

I wonder if they pulled a british move and used NAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWS!111

Originally posted by RX7dood:

There is a term called DA (density altitude...thanks Plane and Pilot magazine! smile.gif ) where both altitude and temperature can affect the density of the air and subsequently the efficiency of a propeller and internal combustion engine. Turbos help, as do turbine engines and fuel injection (real-time stoich measurements and fuel adjustments).

All in all, very impressive for a helicopter.

just because they haven't been there doesnt mean they cant. ;) Given the altitude range, all they need is utterly perfect weather....something in very short supply in the Himilaya. But in all honnesty, it's chances are as good as yours, possibly better if youcanrt climb. tongue.gif