Underage Drinking. Busted *Update

nurkvinny

I got home last night around 11:45. Parked the truck, sat down to watch tv, and was greeted by music next door with enough bass to raddle my home windows. It got quieter around midnight, so the wife went to bed. About 10 minutes later, it went back to full volume.

I couldn't tell which house it was coming from, so I put up with it until 1:30am. Called the cops. Cops came. Ended up being one house up the road. Cops found 7 16-18 year olds drinking with no parents around. The police took about 3 garbage bags full of bottles out of the house and one set of parents after another came to pick up their kids, all charged with underage consumption.

I felt bad because I really like the parents that live there.

Would you have done the same thing?

*EDIT:

This weekend, her father walked over and talked to us. He thanked us for calling the police on his daughter. He had worried that this would happen, so he changed the garage door keypad combination so his daughter could not get in their house while he was gone (she was supposed to be staying with her real dad all week). He didn't know it, but she had went and had a key made for the front door. He said she has been getting into trouble, so this was nothing new.

[ 22. June 2005, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Vinny ]

Maybe. I wouldn't regret my decision if I did it, though, so don't sweat what you did. If they are going to do something illegal, then they need to be smarter about doing it. If not, well, then you face the consequences for getting caught. Simple as that.

It beeing a weekend may have knocked on the front door asking them to keep it down so no "assholes" (read: other niebors other than yourself) call the cops for being loud and busting up the party. But i wouldn't regret calling either way. I believe if your going to do something stupid like drink underage, you should at least be smart about it.

I was 16 once too, and I am usually the first one to give people a break when they are doing exactly what I did when I was that age, although I had parties in a house in the middle of 4 acres. Not 30 feet away from my neighbors. And I was bright enough to turn the shit down post-midnight.

I really didn't think it was coming from that house; there were NO cars in their driveway, and I couldn't see any lights on. After an hour and a half of your wife saying she can't sleep changes your feeling a lot. I really assumed the cops would show up, ask whoever it was to turn it down, and that would be the end of it.

I told the cop I didn't want to push the issue or press any charges, but he said it was too late, and he could not ignore what he found. When he knocked on their door, nobody answered because they couldn't hear him. After a few seconds, he saw several kids walking around inside drinking, and called for another officer. I figure it will be uncomfortable seeing her parents now, but oh well, I'm moving in 50 days.

Meh, there's not much you can do. I'd want to go down and knock on the door and tell them to be quiet or someone is going to call the cops. But at that point, you obviously know there are underage people there and now you have some liability sitting on your shoulders. You could be sued for alot for trying to be a nice guy (bullshit if you ask me). If they are too stupid to know that exactly what ended up happening very well may happen if they drink and play music that loud, especially at that time of the night, then they almost deserve it.

When I and my friends drank at whoever’s house back in high school, you would have never caught us being that dumb. That's why the cops never once showed up anywhere like that.

Being in highschool and under 18, they will just get some community service. It may teach them a thing or two. Those who are 18 there are going to have a little more fun with the situation though.

true, underage consumption = not really a big deal. it sucks for a little while, you learn your lesson, and get over it. I wasn't dumb enough to get busted but i've had a couple close family members that did, it's not really a life altering event, I wouldn't worry about it.

Guest Scoobysnack
Originally posted by Trouble Maker:

Being in highschool and under 18, they will just get some community service. It may teach them a thing or two. Those who are 18 there are going to have a little more fun with the situation though.

It's not just the kids. The parents can be charged too. Remember the whole "Parents Who Host Lose The Most" campaign? It really doesn't matter if they were home or not.

I can't imagine music being played loud enough to keep neighbors awake down the street, maybe next door. If it was really that loud they were being pretty dumb and you have nothing to regret. If you hadn't called I imagine someone else would have.

Sounds like a good lesson in respect, although a shame the parents may have to go through the courts too for it assuming they didn't supply and had no idea it was happening.

Back home if my friends wanted to go drink at that age, they went out to campsites 20 miles from anything resembling a town.

Quite frankly, if kids aren't smart enough to set a "spotter" (someone who can tell if a Crown Vic, Caprice, or plain old cop car comes down the street) on the front porch to warn the others, then they deserve to get busted.

Don't tell the neighbors you called the fuzz. For all you know, you were the FOURTH neighbor to call the cops!

Originally posted by copperhead:

Sounds like a good lesson in respect, although a shame the parents may have to go through the courts too for it assuming they didn't supply and had no idea it was happening.

Back home if my friends wanted to go drink at that age, they went out to campsites 20 miles from anything resembling a town.

Newark isn't far enough out :confused::D

I would have just called the cops. I get weird feelings about confrontations with people I don't know and where I live. You never know. If you would have gone up to the house and told them to turn it down, they could say "yeah.. ok".. and the next night, see your house vandalized.

Just my .02.

Guest FBody Addict

never played loud music=never got caught

jon--haven't i seen you post numerous times about being drunk and here you say it's good they got caught

Originally posted by Buck531:

I would have just called the cops. I get weird feelings about confrontations with people I don't know and where I live. You never know. If you would have gone up to the house and told them to turn it down, they could say "yeah.. ok".. and the next night, see your house vandalized.

Just my .02.

Exactly.. and then someone else calls the cops and your cars still end up getting keyed. I wouldn't feel bad for their parents either. I was raised w/ enough respect for my neighbors and parents not to do anything like that long before I was 17/18..

I would have done the same thing. 1:30 ain't shit to some people, but us adults (especially those of us with kids), tend to go to bed earlier than most because we're up at 6 or 7 am the next (yes, even on the weekends). The weekends are the only time I have to catch up on the sleep.

Yeah, you could have knocked on the door, but you don't know who is there and what exactly is going on.

And...if they were dumb enough to break the law AND annoy the neighbors in the process they deserved what they got. Maybe next time they'll be a little more discrete.

Originally posted by SHIEF:

Newark isn't far enough out :confused::D

Not if there are neighbors close enough to hear your music that is playing inside the house.

Read my first post again. 20 miles from anything resembling a town. Newark definately fits the catagory of a town.

Tomarrow I'm going to report our neigbors kids for bouncing a soccer off doors and walls in our breezeway, and using some guys cars as a slide. I have no problem being a dispencer of disciplin if the kids lack it, and especialy if they suck at breaking rules.

For the love of shit, at least TRY not to get caught.

Originally posted by copperhead:

Not if there are neighbors close enough to hear your music that is playing inside the house.

Read my first post again. 20 miles from anything resembling a town. Newark definately fits the catagory of a town.

Damn, don't take the interweb so serious man. Check for the smiles, that might clear up confusion smile.gif

calling the cops ='s teh win. And like they said earlier, don't even fess up to anything unless it's brought to you. No need to drag unwanted attention to you anymore than need be. Teenage kids can be quite an annoyance especially if they're annoyed/restless and just don't care.

T.c.