Its a good thing

Guest Hamtaro

Guest GSRchick714

I think anyone should be able to do whatever they want to do but don't go around parading your sexual preference...straight people don't do it, so why do gay people have to? :rolleyes:

In "Memory and Identity," the Pope also calls abortion a "legal extermination" comparable to attempts to wipe out Jews and other groups in the 20th century.
Not that I'm for (or against) abortion in certain situations, BUT, how is it comparable to the holocaust and such??

Guest Hamtaro
Originally posted by GSRchick714:

I think anyone should be able to do whatever they want to do but don't go around parading your sexual preference...straight people don't do it, so why do gay people have to? :rolleyes:

Please do the world a favor and shut the fuck up. I personally dont care for flamboyantly gay people either, but if you are labeling their fight to get equal rights "parading their sexual preference" you seriously are a dumbass. I bet when blacks were pushing for equal rights a few decades ago, they were parading too, right?

Not that I'm for (or against) abortion in certain situations, BUT, how is it comparable to the holocaust and such??

i agree with you here. there is a difference between a clotheshanger and a gas chamber.....

I'm in a Western Civilization class this quarter and the entire class we have been learning about religion, which I have no idea about seeing as how I'm not religious, I'm not atheist though, but anyway most of the horrible things that have happened to people, groups, genders other religions have been caused by religion. If people are so concerned with getting to heaven, which were the catholics of the middle ages, why do they do such horrible things to people of different beliefs, wouldn't that be something that is not highly looked upon? This class has definately brought to my attention the corruptness of religion which I was not really that aware about. Whats the obsession with religion, I think, believe in God, Jesus and the Devil and try to live a good life and stop concerning yourself with what other people believe and what they want to do, its not anyone elses business than theirs and how does it hurt anyone if gays get married or if someone gets an abortion, they have their reasons. I deeply dislike people who care about others beliefs, get over yourself and stop trying to get others to believe what you believe, its annoying. Sorry for the rant it just really gets to me.

Originally posted by pgsrt-4:

I'm in a Western Civilization class this quarter and the entire class we have been learning about religion, which I have no idea about seeing as how I'm not religious, I'm not atheist though, but anyway most of the horrible things that have happened to people, groups, genders other religions have been caused by religion. If people are so concerned with getting to heaven, which were the catholics of the middle ages, why do they do such horrible things to people of different beliefs, wouldn't that be something that is not highly looked upon? This class has definately brought to my attention the corruptness of religion which I was not really that aware about. Whats the obsession with religion, I think, believe in God, Jesus and the Devil and try to live a good life and stop concerning yourself with what other people believe and what they want to do, its not anyone elses business than theirs and how does it hurt anyone if gays get married or if someone gets an abortion, they have their reasons. I deeply dislike people who care about others beliefs, get over yourself and stop trying to get others to believe what you believe, its annoying. Sorry for the rant it just really gets to me.

FINALLY! someone agrees with me. IMO, if it's your belief...keep it to yourself...because I really don't give shit what your beliefs are.

I pretty much don't like religions in general. They seem to make people do some pretty stupid things, 'all in the name of their God'...BS if you ask me. But no one's asking me, so I'm gonna shut up now.

Guest Hamtaro
Originally posted by Powered By Geo:

wait wait wait, i can understand having your own views, but did you just say you want to see the pope die?

I didnt say I WANTED him to die, but im not going to shed a tear when he dies in the near future.

Religion is made for the single purpose of giving hope and direction to those who have none in their life. While I personally do not believe in any particular religion, I do believe that the basis for the teachings of most religions are worth trying to live by. For instance, the Buddhist teachings instruct people to void themselves of earthly possessions. While I'm not about to give up every luxury I have, I do try to limit my material possessions. Christianity teaches the ways in which to be a good person, most of which are very basic and sensical. I'm sure I can stand not to covet my neighbors wife, not murder, and not steal. Even the Pagans believe that nature should be worshipped, and that people live in harmony with earth. While I'm not going to chain myself to any trees, I'm not going to set any forest fires either. The point is that religion's roots are pure. Without religion, I also many people who are the most faithful now would be running rampant on the streets. If there was no reason to be a good person or enticement of heaven or threat of hell, many people would just ignore common courtesy and do as they please. While I disagree with the Pope's stand on abortion and gay marriage, I certainly can understand why he makes such proclaimations and why billions of people worldwide agree with him.

On a related note, who saw that Korn's guitarist has decided God is more important than Korn and quit the band? LMFAO!

Guest busteryhyman

woah. comparing abortion to the Holocauset. c'mon. I'm very firm on my pro-life issues, but that's two completely different things there.

and dammit, he's caught on to the hideous evil plans that i have been plotting against the world to get married. oh well, guess i'll try again in a few years.

ok, let me try and leave my faith COMPLETELY out of this post...

abortion has claimed more lives than the holocaust did. it is perpetuated against a demographic that is TOTALLY defenseless against it. and its legal. graemlins/nonono.gif i think the comparison is not only fair and accurate, it may be that abortion is WORSE than the holocaust. for the jewish that try and claim the comparison is "unacceptable", i have one thing to say. you had a chance. you had an opportunity to resist, to survive. to fight and overcome. what unborn child has that opportunity? none.

anyways, thats all im going to say on the situation. i respect the others in this threads views, though they may be opposing.

as far as faith being a personal, private matter; no one who has any real faith could possibly keep it personal and private. it affects your daily life, and everything that you are. it becomes publice simply by you coming into contact with someone who has any. myself, personally, i try not to "beat people over the head with the bible", but ask anyone that knows me, my faith is one of the things that makes me who i am. if you hang out with me for a bit, you will get a taste of that.

Originally posted by Orion:

ok, let me try and leave my faith COMPLETELY out of this post...

abortion has claimed more lives than the holocaust did. it is perpetuated against a demographic that is TOTALLY defenseless against it. and its legal. graemlins/nonono.gif i think the comparison is not only fair and accurate, it may be that abortion is WORSE than the holocaust. for the jewish that try and claim the comparison is "unacceptable", i have one thing to say. you had a chance. you had an opportunity to resist, to survive. to fight and overcome. what unborn child has that opportunity? none.

anyways, thats all im going to say on the situation. i respect the others in this threads views, though they may be opposing.

as far as faith being a personal, private matter; no one who has any real faith could possibly keep it personal and private. it affects your daily life, and everything that you are. it becomes publice simply by you coming into contact with someone who has any. myself, personally, i try not to "beat people over the head with the bible", but ask anyone that knows me, my faith is one of the things that makes me who i am. if you hang out with me for a bit, you will get a taste of that.

I agree with you 100%

Originally posted by Shitaro:

Religion is a means of control... that is all

no it isn't

religion is just like communism, it works in theory but mankind fucks it up, and everyone always reports and remembers the bad parts of any religions history, but they tend to forget the immeasurable positive impact it has had on anything around it, but go ahead and let a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch

and dj is right about religion not being able to be a private thing, same thing as with seperation of church and state, it isn't supposed to keep religion out of politics, it is supposed to keep the gov from sponsoring a church for a national religion, but you cannot keep religion out of the way our politicians decide on issues and who we vote for because of their morals

Originally posted by Car Enthusiast:

no it isn't

religion is just like communism, it works in theory but mankind fucks it up, and everyone always reports and remembers the bad parts of any religions history, but they tend to forget the immeasurable positive impact it has had on anything around it, but go ahead and let a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch

and dj is right about religion not being able to be a private thing, same thing as with seperation of church and state, it isn't supposed to keep religion out of politics, it is supposed to keep the gov from sponsoring a church for a national religion, but you cannot keep religion out of the way our politicians decide on issues and who we vote for because of their morals

you have your beliefs and I have mine... we'll leave it at that... I won't discuss religion anymore because with a mass of 5k members, anything said is bound to offend someone.

Originally posted by Shitaro:

you have your beliefs and I have mine... we'll leave it at that... I won't discuss religion anymore because with a mass of 5k members, anything said is bound to offend someone.

good idea, not because I think you're wrong, but because you're completely right. its just opening a can of worms.