Road Runner Premium upgrade? How about the Digital Phone Service?

Ryoga

They are claiming that it bumps the download rate to ~6k from the standard ~3k. The 512 upload rate remains however. Anyone using this care to verify the claims?

For heavy gamers and media/hax0r downloading peeps I can see that this could be very desirable...

The price difference is kind of crazy in my opinion. ~$69 vs the ~$39 package price you get for standard with cable bundles. They also have mentioned that there are NO price breaks for the packaging with the Premium RR. I'm giving it a shot anyhow with that 30-day money back satisfaction guarantee so I guess I'll see for myself when I get home today.

On the Digital Phone thing, I caught a blurb about them offering phone service for $39.95 a month for your home. Unlimited Local and Nationwide Long Distance... Not too shabby, I'd bite if it were here. Sadly they said it's only around the core office area in columbus right now so Sunbury won't see it till around the mid summer or so. All they have to do now is supply the electric over the cable and then I can pay all my utilities in one bill, lol--errr, well and water... :D

Well, I'm home and using it... Not a lot to report yet really. Now that I have more pipe to pull down with, I can't come up with anything I need to download. tongue.gif

Oh well... Its not slower at least. :D

Since I work for WOW, I'll be very interested to see how well Warner's 6 meg service actually works. I'll bet you'll see major bottlenecks in the network, and those speeds in many areas will only be achieved at 2am. From what I've heard through the grape vine, Warner is in a world of hurt right now; they played the price game to try to get some customers back, and hurt themselves in the profit department/

Hopefully we'll move up to 6MB on our system as well, which I'm gonna bet can handle the extra bandwidth a bit better. :D Our 4MB package right now offers usually around 4100-4400k down, and 510-540k up.

The phone thing they are offering is called voice over IP. We'll be offering that some time in the future as well; I'm looking forward to getting that for free at home. :D

Originally posted by Crocostimpy:

We couldn't get WOW in our condo.. :( The way insight ran the wire, we have to have the condo association approve drilling and wires ran on the outside of the condo.

WOW isn't in this area yet for us to use either. I wanted to switch a while back since there had been so much possitive said about them (and the price break).

So far the tests I've run show it hitting around 5400k on the low side and the highest of 5800k on the downs. Not too bad. I'm still not convinced it's worth the extra $25-$30 bucks though other than bragging rights.

You need to tell WOW to get on the ball and hook up the Sunbury area Joe. smile.gif

VoIP is da shit. Got it at home, and it rules.

Free long distance, good quality sound on it. There is nothing that I can say bad about it and I to phone work all the time so I know what should and should not work and how a phone should sound and all that crap.

Originally posted by Akito Tenkawa:

You need to tell WOW to get on the ball and hook up the Sunbury area Joe. smile.gif

Probably isn't gonna happen. The cost of growth is insane.

For instance, it costs us (or anyone else, as this is contracted type work) $6/foot to have fiber ran. Can you imagine the cost of having fiber ran just through ONE neighborhood. Add in the cost of nodes, cost of adding hardline, adding peds, etc......it gets INSANE very quickly. Basically, there has to be a heavy demand to justify running lines to a certain area (also has to be within Franklin county, due to contractual cable laws w/ counties).

That, and I have zero pull/say in where we expand, or any knowledge of future construction efforts. :(

Hey Joe, is WOW available in the New Albany area, where the new Lifestyle community is. Off of Central College road. I bought a condo there, and I think I want to go with the WOW package for $55 over the Insight stuff. That is, if it is available.

Originally posted by Keyword:

Hey Joe, is WOW available in the New Albany area, where the new Lifestyle community is. Off of Central College road. I bought a condo there, and I think I want to go with the WOW package for $55 over the Insight stuff. That is, if it is available.

I have no idea. Call in and ask. :D I work on the service side of things (basically fixing stuff), so I have no way to access any of that info.