Laptop Recommendations

Tulo

I'm looking into getting a laptop, but unfortunately I'm not extremely educated when it comes to computers. I saw a Gateway at Best Buy that I liked, but I've been hearing alot of good things about Dells.

I already have a pretty nice Desktop, so I don't need a notebook that is trying to be both. I want something small and light, so that it will be very portable and easy to carry around campus. I'll need it to connect to the internet wirelessly on campus, my house, and my girlfriends. I don't really know what processor or ram I need? Somebody point me in the right direction. Thanks. smile.gif

Guest GSRchick714

do NOT get a Gateway. I have a 400VTX and its a big piece of trash. I mean, it seems nice when you look at the specs-2.2ghz, 256mb-but it sucks. It gets reallllly hot (like ridiculous hot) and the fan is super loud. Not to mention if you need something fixed under the warranty you have to send it in because Gateway no longer has stores so it takes a week or two to get it fixed and stuff. :rolleyes:

Get a Dell or IBM

i have a toshiba m45 that i'm real happy with(other than not having an rs232 port) it's light, has a widescreen display,and integrated wireless adapter.it also has 128mb video card, and DVD-ram as standard equipment.

Of course I'm going to say an iBook for simple tasks. ;)

Dells are a bit bulky, not my thing.

Gateway laptops are trash, period.

Sony's laptops are over priced and they use cheap materials.

If you strictly want a Windows machine, you might want to check out the Alienware Sentia.

I just got a Dell Inspiron 6000.

It's more of a desktop-replacement-laptop though.

Pentium M 1.6

1GB Ram

60GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

DVD+/- dual layer burner

15.4 inch widescreen

After a nice Dell coupon, it was $777. It only came with 512 ram, so I bought another 512 chip for it.

I'm more than happy with Dell. I've heard horror stories, but I got my laptop within ±7 days after I ordered it. So far so good!

Edit: If you want something small/portable, I have heard good things about the 700m. 12.1 inch widescreen, weighs about 4 pounds. :cool:

I've got an HP Pavilion dv1000 and I love it. 14" widescreen, DVD+CDRW drive, wireless 802.11b/g built in, 1.6 Centrino (Intel's mobile processor), 512 mb ram, 64 mb video. It plays Warcraft 3 just fine, but anything more and it's not happy. It only weighs about 3 pounds, it is by far the lightest laptop I have ever experianced. Heat is not much of an issue, the fan only flips on when the processor is running hard, and even then it's not on constantly because it doesn't need to be. I went with the extended battery, it lasts for 6 hours.

Originally posted by BiG BeN:

i have a toshiba m45 that i'm real happy with(other than not having an rs232 port) it's light, has a widescreen display,and integrated wireless adapter.it also has 128mb video card, and DVD-ram as standard equipment.

ditto

Thanks for all the replies. Right now I'm leaning towards the Dell 700m. I like that it will be very portable, I just hope it's not too small. If it's too small, i'll probably be looking at the 600m or the 6000.

I like how they are completely customizable, I just don't know what I need in terms of processor speed and ram. Is a 2Ghz processor worth $300 more than a 1.6Ghz? Or split it down the middle and get a 1.8? Is it pointless to have a fast processor if you don't have tons of ram? I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything, but I still want it to be fast. Any tips for what guts to put it? Thanks. -JP

Just remember one thing when buying a laptop.. you cant upgrade them after you buy them..

generally if you are going to get one, get the best you can afford so it will last a while.

Computers are easy to do cheap because you can updage components thru time.. but laptops.. well....

Good luck. Go to Best buy or Micro Center and play with some of them, get a feel for what you are buying its not something you can return if you arent happy with it.

DO not buy a HP or compaq laptop. they are the suck and so is their customer service. IBM makes an excellent laptop but its expensive, Toshiba makes good laptops but you need to do research because as stated above sometimes they have bad runs of certain models. Dells are Decent laptops i would say nothing to amazing but due to their service and support make out on top of gateway, hp compaq.

IBM and toshiba are my mainstream recommendations. whatever you get though. Enjoy graemlins/thumb.gif

I have experience with Mac, Dell, Toshiba. The Mac is my girlfriends and I am not so much a fan but from what she says if you want to do video work it is the way to go. Plus it is more resistant to spyware and viruses because when any software is to be installed it always brings up a dialog for administrator user name and password.

Ok, the toshiba and the Dell. Out of the two, the Dell is my favorite. I just sold it however on ebay because of the toshiba. The toshiba is supplied to me by work so the Dell didn't get much use, so I sold it because it was just sitting and depreciating in value. The Dell was fast and I am happy with their service. My harddrive went bad and they sent me a new one and picked up my old one from my apartment. I only paid for shipping. But here is the kicker: The new one they sent me was an IBM 40GB and my old one was some kind of 30GB, the IBM HD kicked total ass. Plus they loaded all my software for me, once I got it all I had to do was slide the old one out and slide in the new one, it took less than 5 minutes.

My toshiba has some minor issues (it is one of the satellites mentioned above) but they are both under factory recall and they are not major enough to break my productivity to send back in (plus I couldn't get on CR). It is pretty fast though, fairly light and comfortable to type on. So its not a bad choice

All 3 of the laptops I have are pretty much desktop replacements. After using the Dell and the Toshiba I would probably not go back to a desktop, although there is a Sony Vaio sitting behind me that is the fastest computer I have ever used. I had a very good experience with Dell, I would recommend them if you can find a laptop to suit your needs. As for my Toshiba, its not bad. It is a couple years old so I would think that they have their issues worked out by now. All four of us here in my office have toshibas and nobody has complained. I am slated to get a new one in a couple months though so my hand-me-down toshiba will see its 3rd owner. I hope this turned out to be a little more useful than some incessant babling.

Originally posted by 10xworse:

if you wanted to make a statement about your questionably sexuality you could always get an iBook

So since I have a Powerbook, am I gay too?

Does that also make me a mullet sportin' redneck for owning a T/A? :rolleyes:

Does it make you a tastless ignorant ricer for owning a Celica? graemlins/nutkick.gif