I need helping fighting a blank ticket!

Guest theu26

Hey guys, a couple days ago I was involved in a pretty serious wreck. I guy ran a red light and totalled my car! What's worse is that the clueless officer even cited me too! Yet I have noticed one fatal error and that is that the ticket is blank! There is no violated marked or even stated, I have done a little research and found that I can request that the case be thrown out. What I would like to know is what would be the best course of act I can take and what exactly should I say when I appear in court? Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Why were you cited? If he ran the red light then he is at fault. Do you have any witnesses that could be contacted? Do you have any photos that show the accident scene? Both of these are evidence, not the faults on the ticket. The officer may have not pressed hard enough to get them to go onto the copy. As long as his/her report reflects what happened the Ohio Revised code states that if you signed the ticket you agree to the conditions even if there are "procedural" errors on the ticket.

I actually did have 2 witnesses, who both gave written reports the guy did run the red light. I was in fact turning when he hit the right side of my vehicle in the intersection. But to go back to the witnesses the actual report itself cannot be obtained until after the court so I just clueless as to what I should do.

Are you sure that you were being cited? The police may just be giving you info about the case #.

If you were cited also, your gonna pay for your own vehicle.

My wife got t-boned at a 4 way stop by a woman who ran the stop sign. The woman lied and told the police my wife ran the stop sign. Even though there was $7k in damage to the passenger side of the car, between the wheels, the cop said there was not enough evidence to cite either and we got stuck with a $500 deductible and a mark on our insurance.

Explain to me how you can do $7k in damages to the side of a car 20 feet from the stop sign the other driver "claimed" she stopped for??

If the ticket shows your information (name, address, social, etc...) but nothing else, I think that it would be safe to assume that the officer's copy reflects the same info. If I'm not mistaken, what you've got is a Summons to Appear in Court. Pretty normal in accidents with severe damage, I think. Basically, it is a way to ensure that you appear before the court in regards to this accident. Helps to keep everybody honest.

Actually the little box for summons in court isnt checked. It was very odd that when the officer told me that I was getting cited for failure to yield yet giving me a blank ticket! Yet another example of how the police suck and the system does not work!

If you were turning left and you both were getting the red light then he has the right of way. As someone who's turning left, you are supposed to make sure it's all clear before making the turn. The accident would be your fault and you would be cited/ticketed. If you were getting a green arrow then it's different.

You should be able to call the court's clerk and ask if there's a hearing that you are to apear on. Or if you have a ticket to pay. They would be able to tell you that much. Figure out if you have something to fight before you try to fight it. Give it a couple days so they could have it in their system if there are such records though.

Agreed, if you were both at a red light, then you are both at fault. He will get cited for failure to yield the right of way as well. BTW where was accident at? I am suprised that the report would not be available before the court date. The Columbus PD has a website that you can refer to with the report number for a PDF of it. Usually it only takes about two to three days.

he could have had a green light, preparing to turn left, and the guy ran the red light to the right.

id get an attorney, trust me, its so much easier and its worth the money they charge. their fee is probably less than what you will pay in court costs, fines, and increased insurance premiums over time.