looking for career info

XChris1632X

my friend and i are both going to school right now but we are having second thoughts about what we want to do. i am looking hard for some good websites or information about careers after school. something that lists what kind of pay to expect and what kind of experience is needed. the kind of sites they show you in high school. anyone know where i can find some info.

If I had it to do over again I would do:

Law School

Med School

Law Enforcement (eg Criminology, Forensics, etc).

I don't want to work as management, and the other fields just don't pay that well, except engineering and computers and all of those jobs are being moved overseas.

I'm very seriously considering finishing my degree and then applying for Law School.

Originally posted by Larry:

If I had it to do over again I would do:

Law School

Med School

Law Enforcement (eg Criminology, Forensics, etc).

I don't want to work as management, and the other fields just don't pay that well, except engineering and computers and all of those jobs are being moved overseas.

I'm very seriously considering finishing my degree and then applying for Law School.

Please God no... graemlins/doh.gif

i bought a book for my GF a few month's back called "the big book of jobs". i think it cost's around 19$ but has ALOT of up to date infomation in it.

Go to the library there's got to be at least 20 other books just like it there. but be sure they are up to date.

I've heard from some people accounting is a good major, but just to 'get your foot in the door'. that's just what i hear.

Originally posted by NoRodStang:

All I canse is IT is over packed with poeple who are ENTRY LEVEL (No experince) so alot of guys have degrees are walking at call tech type crap for 9$/hr

True. But this is a backlash for the indulgences of the dotcom bubble when way too many and too many wholly unqualified people were in the industry and making way too much money for the value they were providing. Today - you gotta pay your dues. And its a good way to weed out the wannabes from the real thing. If you're good - its not hard to "climb out" of tech support. We do it - its easy to see who can move into development and who can move into professional services and who'll be staying tech support and will be gone in 4 years. You can see that in a few months.

Originally posted by Larry:

... except engineering and computers and all of those jobs are being moved overseas.

Not true. That trend has turned around as well. There was a trend about 5 years ago to send everything to India. Pay a developer in Puni 10 bucks to code for you. And while some of the slower more monolithic orgs like state agencies still are sending more jobs there, the thought leaders and the industry leaders have realized that far from saving money sending development overseas, it costs them MORE in terms of rework later. Alot more.

Little tidbit - in the development industry there is a worldwide competition among developers annually. The US has won it the most. Russians win it fairly frequently. China. Britain. ...India has never won it. Not once. Ever. The stereotype of the Indian developer as a better programmer is marketing hype and a load of bullshit.

The real IT jobs are coming back to America while the "shit" jobs (callcenters) are settling and can stay in India.

Learn c# smile.gif

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Not true. That trend has turned around as well. There was a trend about 5 years ago to send everything to India. Pay a developer in Puni 10 bucks to code for you. And while some of the slower more monolithic orgs like state agencies still are sending more jobs there, the thought leaders and the industry leaders have realized that far from saving money sending development overseas, it costs them MORE in terms of rework later. Alot more.

Little tidbit - in the development industry there is a worldwide competition among developers annually. The US has won it the most. Russians win it fairly frequently. China. Britain. ...India has never won it. Not once. Ever. The stereotype of the Indian developer as a better programmer is marketing hype and a load of bullshit.

The real IT jobs are coming back to America while the "shit" jobs (callcenters) are settling and can stay in India.

Learn c# smile.gif

Thanks Mowgli - that is good information to hear.

Yeah, I'm working on C#. Your post in the meat market prompted me.

There are certain fields that will always need people, Medicine comes to mind. If that interests you go for it.

If you are having trouble deciding, join the armed forces for a while. You will get some pretty good training, make some excellent friends and get experiences that no fresh-out-of-mommy's-house grad can ever put on their resume. I have gotten tons of interviews because my experience says that I used to be on a submarine.