Cold Heat soldering iron; junk or not??

Nitrousbird

Whatching TV tonight, I saw THIS advertised.

I will be needing to buy a new soldering iron in the next month or two. I've purchased my LAST POS Radio Trash iron, as they seem to die very quickly.

Most of my soldering needs is soldering wires together, or wires to components; not much in terms of circuit board soldering.

Does this thing work, or it another "as seen on TV" gimmick. Being cordless is nice; any other decent cordless irons out there for this kind of $$??

Or, buy a cheaper one, and use a dimmer switch in-line. The better place to go is someplace like Franklin Art Glass. They sell NICE irons there. The one I have now has lasted for about 4 years, and is designed for heavy duty usage on stained glass.

The Radio Shack Irons are good if you get the right one.

Their good irons are made by a company called Ungar, who manufacutres very high quality irons, but they are a bit expensive.

The good ones are sold as a seperate handle, heater and tip. Get a 33 Watt heater, and an IRON CLAD tip (they are silver in color and not copper in color, but not the ones that the tip looks chrome plated. All the ones with the chrome tips are not worth bringing the hell home.

If you need specific part numbers let me know and I will break out the Radio Shack catalog.

Now as far as the tip stand and cleaner. Go over to Microcenter, they sell a tip cleaner that looks like a brass scowering pad in a little cup. These are the shit, I haven't found ANYTHING better and I fixed my first TV set when I was 12. So I have had everything pretty much at one time or another.

If you need any other guidance, or have questions let me know.

Originally posted by desperado:

The Radio Shack Irons are good if you get the right one.

Their good irons are made by a company called Ungar, who manufacutres very high quality irons, but they are a bit expensive.

The good ones are sold as a seperate handle, heater and tip. Get a 33 Watt heater, and an IRON CLAD tip (they are silver in color and not copper in color, but not the ones that the tip looks chrome plated. All the ones with the chrome tips are not worth bringing the hell home.

If you need specific part numbers let me know and I will break out the Radio Shack catalog.

Now as far as the tip stand and cleaner. Go over to Microcenter, they sell a tip cleaner that looks like a brass scowering pad in a little cup. These are the shit, I haven't found ANYTHING better and I fixed my first TV set when I was 12. So I have had everything pretty much at one time or another.

If you need any other guidance, or have questions let me know.

do you fix big screen TV's?