bedding Q's

Buckeye1647545503

Ok so whaen I move I will need to but a new mattress set. I am wondering what peoples thoughts were on what is best and such Also I am a big guy so if any of you guys are to I am wondering what ones provide good support.

I was going to buy a waterbed but that is not a real do-able thing right now. I am thinking of checking out the temperpedic line but I heard that support for bigger people is lacking. Help!

Thanks

I don't know shit about brands BUT I've had a Serta (I think) ever since I can remember, and it's done alright. I've got a queen size on top of boxsprings, and I've always had it all just laying on the floor, no frame or anything. The other day I noticed it's starting to sag a bit in the middle, but I can't complain considering I've had the bed for probably a decade. The big thing for me is getting the right pillows, it can make a huge difference in how well you sleep due to your spine angle.

My queen size bed barely fits me, and you are a couple inches taller than me. When you go shopping, I recommend asking about longer queen size, or even a king size to accomadate for your height. I've heard of being able to get odd size mattresses, but I really don't know that much about it.

I always hear about waterbeds being bad for your back.

I had one from age 6-16 (full wave). It died, so I get your regular, run of the mill matress. That thing wasn't nearly as comfortable as my waterbed, and my back definately wasn't as happy.

Around age 19, I get tired of that bed, and buy a queen waveless waterbed (best matress they had).....25 and still have that bed, and love it. I don't wake up with back aches, nor do I have any back problems at all. It's nice to go to bed in the winter in a nice, heated water bed. smile.gif

Guest GSRchick714

Its true...waterbeds are bad for your back.

I'd go with the tempurpedic....go test one out if you heard they don't give support to bigger guys...see how you like it. They're so comfy! All I have is a pillow though cuz I'm poor :(

Originally posted by Sully:

I've heard a LOT of people talk about how great those foam mattresses are. I personally don't know though. Plus, I would bet they're kinda pricey.

Anyone here have one?

My ex girlfriend just paid over $2000 for one, it is very comfortable though.

If you get one of those heat activated memory foam beds then you'll be hot because they retain heat. If you get a foam mattress then get the none heat ones.

That's not first hand information but I got it from someone who expirenced it. We opted for the none heat ones because I can't fall asleep when I'm hot. It's working out good and it costs less then the temperpedic ones.

Originally posted by buckeye:

Price is not as big a deal as I need to get credit started and am thunking of useing this to start that.

So you are going to spend more on this than you would normally. Just get a normal credit card and put it (a normal mattress) on there, and pay it off. Then put stuff you would normally buy on there, gas, food; just make sure you watch how much you spend.

Not saying whether those expensive mattresses are worth it or not. It just sounds like you wouldn't normally spend that much on a mattress, sounds like a silly excuse to spend that much on a mattress.

well I have had many beds in the last 10 years and am tired of being uncomfy and them takeing a shit much earlier than I think they should. I am not sold on buying a high dollar bed yet but if I get a reveiw from a trusted person that is my size that they are worh it then I will

Guest powers
Get a decently firm mattress from the mattress factory. Also try to get a pillow top. The advantage is the mattress it's self is firm and supportive an will keep you from being stiff in the morning. The pillowtop is just there to soften the feel of the top of the mattress. You will be looking at about 700-1000 for a decent mattress there which is alot less than you will spend other places for the same quality. I am a big guy 6'3" 280 lbs and love the mattress I have from them.

If you pay a few more bucks, you should get a high-quality king. My wife and I bought a pillow-top king Posturepedic from Lazarus 3 years ago for $750 (originally $1800, but we had exchange credits from returned wedding gifts). Good king mattresses are hinged in the middle, allowing them to be folded in half for moving. Combine that with two twin-sized boxsprings and you have a HUGE mattress that moves easier than a queen-size.

It is my far the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, and I've enjoyed Westin, Renaissance, and other high-end hotel mattresses (anybody ever slept in the "Heavenly Bed" at a Westin recently?) My mattress is only lacking in comfort from our cheaper bedding. Higher thread-count sheets and we would be sleeping on a cloud.

ABSOLUTELY spend as much time researching and checking out beds. DON'T get a "no-flip" mattress...yo gotta flip a mattress every few months unless you want to make a permanent indentation. BUT...you'll want to end up buying the most mattress for your money. Don't skimp!!! smile.gif