Review of the Finer Stuff: Tito's Vodka

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

This is vodka that is quickly developing into the crowd favorite. Distilled right here in Austin, this vodka is made in the only legal distillery in Texas. I picked this 750ml bottle up in Twin Liquors for $15. Those of you who are not in Texas will most likely have to search long and hard for this vodka, but here in Austin it is available pretty much anywhere. There is a *really* interesting video available on the Tito’s website (www.titosvodka.com). Click on the picture in the upper right hand corner of the screen to watch said video.

Bottle:

“Tito's Handmade Vodka is designed to be savored by spirit connoisseurs. It is micro-distilled in an old-fashioned pot still, just like fine single malt scotches and high-end French cognacs. This time-honored method of distillation requires more skill and effort than modern column stills, but it's well worth it. Our handcrafted technique offers more control over the distillation process, resulting in a spectacularly clean product of incomparable excellence. Only the heart of the run, "the nectar" is taken, leaving behind residual higher and lower alcohols. The vodka is cleansed of phenols, esters, congeners and organic acids by filtering it through the finest activated carbon available. Critics call Tito's "a homegrown symphonic spirit to applaud!" and say "it can go head to head with any of the worlds' greats and not break a sweat." says the back label.

The bottle has a dark gold colored screw on cap and a light tan label with blue letters with gold accents. The bottle informs me that this vodka is distilled 6 times. Most premium, read: $50+, vodkas are only distilled 4 times. The distilled 4 times group includes such prominent names as Grey Goose and Vox. The bottle also tells me that this vodka has won unanimous double gold metals at the World Spirits Competition.

Pour: Well, let me just say that it is incredibly clear. The vodka itself has almost no smell but yet it still manages to tickle my nose after large whiffs. Honestly, the only sensation that I get from smell is a tingling of my nose hairs as the odorless gas seeps into my lungs. There is not much else to report on the pour front.

Taste: There is good vodka, great vodka, excellent vodka, vodka I can’t afford, and then Tito’s vodka. I was speechless at first since I was taken aghast by the sheer purity of the taste. My beer laden tongue is picking up absolutely NO impurities that I have found in other high end vodkas.

I am currently sitting here with two glasses of the vodka, one with ice and one without. Honestly, I like the one without ice FAR better. The glass with the ice is just not as good as drinking the vodka neat. The glass with the ice has become weak and down right criminal in mine eyes. While the glass without ice has become a weekend resort for playboy bunnies that I somehow got invited to. I did not plan on having to pour another glass, but after killing the first glass by using ice, I found it necessary in the name of science.

There are but two distinct taste sensations that I can pick out. The first taste is absolute nothingness, or water, and is picked up immediately by the palate. The only other taste sensation is remindful, to me, of warm rock candy served to me by that hot girl that worked at Anthony Thomas. The kind of rock candy I speak of is the kind that was just made and is all warm, sugary and exceedingly good. The kind of rock candy that makes you long for more and want the taste to never, ever go away.

Overall: I was absolutely and thoroughly blown away by the value and taste offered by this vodka. I might be a simple beer snob but I like to think that I know my vodkas. This offering, however, let me know that I am but a little turd in a very large toilet when it comes to the subject of vodka. My favorite vodka used to be Belvedere, but all that is changed now that I have found Tito’s. My hat is off to you, Tito, and your fine ass vodka.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/titos.jpg

(not trashed)

Guest Ranger_Man

Joe, the only distributor in ohio is in reynoldsburg....

Ohio Liquor Control

PO Box 4005

Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-9005

Look them up and call them. If nothing else, I'm willing to bet that you can order this stuff online somewhere.

Also:

Tito's Mktg. Reps. in Ohio:

Universal Marketing Co.

5747 Westbourne Ave.

Columbus, OH 43213

tel. (614-864-3720)

I bet money that they have it in stock.

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Rotarded:

Aaron, I've noted that with the premium 4x distilled vodka, notably VOX, there seems to be less of a hangover when accidentally consuming quantities beyond one's tolerances. Did you consume enough to judge the "hangover factor"?

I had quite a good buzz going on last night and I woke up this morning feeling fine and dandy.

I'm a vodka guy as well. Last weekend i was in Covingtion KY with a buddy and his GF. She is a bartender at some big ass club down in Cinci and brought home a bottle of this carmel vodka. It was kinda a wierd combo but it was pretty good. You should check it out. Nice write up btw.

I'm going to pick a bottle up this afternoon. It actually appears as if quite a few places carry it. I'm going to get it from the State Liquor store (called Plaza Carryout) just on West Broad about 5 minutes from my house.

If you call Universal Marketing Co., they are actually called NDC General now. I talked to a very nice woman named Robin (her extension is in the introductory voice mail). They are just a marketing firm that has Tito's Vodka as one of their accounts. But she took my number and found some locations where it can be sold to individuals, promptly called me back and gave me some locations that were close to my area! I'll let you guys know how I like it whenever I get around to drinking some. graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry, I left my house around 3 to go there and just got back from doing other stuff. She gave me three places within 10 minutes from my house that carries the stuff and she said there seemed to be more around the east and north sides of town. Just call her and find a place close to you.

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Neo:

Sorry, I left my house around 3 to go there and just got back from doing other stuff. She gave me three places within 10 minutes from my house that carries the stuff and she said there seemed to be more around the east and north sides of town. Just call her and find a place close to you.

Did you try it yet?

Originally posted by Beer Guy:

Did you try it yet?

Yup, just took a sip of it (warm) yesterday because I really wanted to try it. Good stuff, definitely at least on par with some much more expensive stuff. Can’t wait till I have a chance to sit down and drink some. I can't believe it only cost $15 for a 1/5, nice find. graemlins/thumb.gif

I've never seen a vodka stick to the side of a glass like that either. Almost like a good wine does.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by The DropTop:

It does pour kinda thick. However, I thought it tasted like rubbing alochol. It still burns in my stomach.

Wussy. Nothing burns once you get used to drinking scotch with no ice tongue.gif .

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by The DropTop:

My bottle of Tito's tastes eerily like everclear. Is this this perfect taste you're talking about, or did i get a bottle from a botched batch?

Do you drink straight vodka often?