"Real Street Shootout"? Bullshit!

Rotarded1647545491

OK, so someone has coined an upcoming event as the "REAL STREET SHOOTOUT". Let's think about this for a moment?

First and foremost I like to start this off by stating that I am older than 98% of the people on this board and that I grew up in the "muscle car" era getting my drivers license in 1978. Therefore don't bother judging this post as banter from some snot-nosed import-driving kid.

REAL STREET SHOOTOUT? What does "real street" mean? To me it does not mean a semi-prepared chassis, sporting an open headered big block, a rear end gear the size of a hubcap, and a cam duration long enough to fly a Cessna in and out of the valves.

A "street" car is one that you can fire up at 7:00 in the morning and not set off the car alarms in the next county. One that you can drive for more than 5 minutes at highway speeds. A car that you could take your wife/girlfriend/significant other out to a nice dinner in (I do not mean McDonalds or Hometown Buffet)without wearing ear protection and popping Excedrine migrane tablets. A car that your wife/girlfriend/significant other could drive home when you've had a few too many PBRs!

Why do they just call it like it is as the "ALL MOTOR SHOOTOUT", and leave the "street" to the cars that are actually able to drive on them.

Discuss!

I've got everything covered but the loud thing, I just don't go WOT. Otherwise, the exhaust is pretty bearable driving around.

Working AC, heat, full interior, power everything, 10 speaker 500 watt system with changer and CD player, runs on pump gas, uses DOT tires, and wins friggin car shows as far as Dayton that I drive to.

660+ hp, 675+ tq, almost runs 10s (pump gas and DRs). I think that about covers it smile.gif

Neglecting to mention in my previous post, I quote from the thread in the Meetings and Events section:

"No power adders"

DOH!

That being said Anthony, My car (which is a good launch from 10s)is bordering on uncomfortable to drive casually. I always smell like exhaust and Sunoco 94 after a cruise. The 6-puck clutch gives me leg cramps when stuck in traffic and the suspension hammers you on expansion joints, even when set as soft as it will go. And we are not even talking about 10 second N/A cars...........

[ 29. April 2005, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Rotarded ]

I'll agree.... problem is, streetable and fun to drive are relative. Everyone has different opinions.... I for one, spent a small fortune modding all of my previous cars, and ended up with stuff that I didn't want to live with on a day to day basis. Call me a pussy if you will, but the things I found "cool" and acceptable when I was 16, are no longer. That's why I bought the Corvette... so I could be fairly quick, handle well, not hate driving it, and if anything breaks, I can just drop it off at the dealer to be fixed.

I just realized, at some point in the last ten years, I've been castrated. How pathetic. :(

Rotard says he's older than 98% on this board? I must be in that 2% class then? Got my drivers license May, 1968!!!! I REALLY lived in the muscle car days.

My car is comfortable, took it on 1st road trip 2 week ends ago, basically stock but fast enuff for this ol man. Yep quite streetable too - :D

Originally posted by Kohones:

Rotard says he's older than 98% on this board? I must be in that 2% class then? Got my drivers license May, 1968!!!!

DAD! I've been searching for you for years! :D

Oh the memories......When my sister's boyfriend(husband) showed up with a yellow Mach 1 and I, who had never seen one before, asked him "when are you gonna paint the hood?" graemlins/doh.gif

Bwwhhahaha. I am still waiting for someone with a car the fits into the catagory he's talking about, and be competitive against other, sub 10 second cars. And no, I don't have anything close.

But neither does anyone else here that I am aware of.

Michael has a good point, and it's been brought up alot, that this Real Street thing is nothing more than a full on drag car with an interior. I will say that its cool to watch, but ALL drag racing is cool to watch in my opinion. But when did a car with a 700 cube big block, 4.5 inch headers, sitting in front of a 4500 RPM convertor with a trans brake and a reverse valve body become a street car? And as far as the guys with the Vette's, vettes are great but the big blocks these guys run cost more than your Vette did new. I am not saying that the cars aren't cool, or saying that they are not streetable in a small degree, but the name implys that these are real drivers and not Outlaw street cars. The class needs changed in my opinion. Call these guys NA Outlaw Street or something, just not Real Street.

the Norwalk street car challenge is better i think. All cars must first be a true street legal car and it has to be driven under its own power for 30 miles to compete. You will still have drag/street cars but you wont have a car that was trailered in and run strickly on the track.

Originally posted by Rotarded:

I grew up in the "muscle car" era getting my drivers license in 1978!

No, you grew up in the gas crisis era of mass suck'itude graemlins/nonono.gif

Originally posted by Kohones:

Got my drivers license May, 1968!!!!

He grew up in the muscle car era graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest FastSaleen

Damn - I'm in that 2% also then. I got my license in '72. I remember going to the gas station in my first car, filling it up with gas and getting a pack of cigs - all for under $5.

I can remember gas at $.37 per gallon and cigs at $.50 a pack.

No power adders? Sounds like a class for me, too bad the car isn't NHRA legal.

I had a NHRA legal street car that ran well into the nines, it wasn't the drivetrain that made it a pain to drive on the street, it was the cage, harnesses, and everything else needed to be legal on the track that sucked on the street.

Originally posted by Tinman:

No power adders? Sounds like a class for me, too bad the car isn't NHRA legal.

I had a NHRA legal street car that ran well into the nines, it wasn't the drivetrain that made it a pain to drive on the street, it was the cage, harnesses, and everything else needed to be legal on the track that sucked on the street.

The big yellow banana you had back in High school? :D

Originally posted by The Stig:

No, you grew up in the gas crisis era of mass suck'itude graemlins/nonono.gif

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kohones:

Got my drivers license May, 1968!!!!

He grew up in the muscle car era graemlins/thumb.gif </font>True story

I guess my real question is who cares? it's just a name... you know what's gonna be there... if you care that much about winning don't go... if you want to race against some cool cars... then go. I doubt my car would win if I took it there, but I'd love to go just so I don't have to line up with some kid with a civic.. (and yes, I have a car with a rear diff the size of a hubcap, and a cam... blah, whatever... it's just a name)

• 2 weeks later...