GM motors > Best EVAR!

Scotty2Hotty

Originally posted by Ironray75:

Well not to be left out is the new ecotec..These damn things are built to run under serve harsh conditions..

Seriously, no one cares about that motor, especially in the company of LS1/LS6/LS2/LS7/Iron Block GEN-III motor discussions. There are enough wheezing 4-bangers around.

Originally posted by The Vette:

I will have to agree, my motor has seen more abuse than anyone on here and never had any problems...LS1 = the new hotness...

Try again, Turner's '88 has 130K on it I think and he bought it with low miles. 100K + miles with Turner behind the wheel equals hell!

Originally posted by Sapper98Z:

LS series motors = *** WIN!

Plain and simple GM built the best motor ever when the LS1 cam out. That is all. GM > the rest

Incorrect...

The current best motor GM has out if we are going purely on horsepower numbers is GM part number 12498827 availiable through any dealer. This service replacement Gen IV big block cranks out over 720 hp bone stock....

theres no replacement for displacement smile.gif

big block > small block

true story

Originally posted by MRMEANR:

The Eco is a pile. Get over it.

If it sounds like shit, and it runs like shit, than it must be SHIT!

Wow, so many incorrect statements on the Eco. I'm no GM fan by far, but you can't argue with the L series V8's OR the Ecotec. The Ecotec is actually a very good engine when boosted. In fact I'd put it up against any other 4-banger out there. Maybe that's why no one can keep up with the Ecotec powered cavaliers in the Sport Compact class (talking 6 second cars, not 16 second cars). Anyways, everyone knows that GM did a good job on the L-series engines, no question.

Originally posted by SHIEF:

Wow, so many incorrect statements on the Eco. I'm no GM fan by far, but you can't argue with the L series V8's OR the Ecotec. The Ecotec is actually a very good engine when boosted. In fact I'd put it up against any other 4-banger out there. Maybe that's why no one can keep up with the Ecotec powered cavaliers in the Sport Compact class (talking 6 second cars, not 16 second cars). Anyways, everyone knows that GM did a good job on the L-series engines, no question.

The Eco is junk man. You are just like every other douche that sees the name Ecotec... you immediatly tie it to the Drag Cavalier. Ill let you in a secret... ITS GOT HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS DUMPED INTO IT!

you cant compare the baseline Eco, to the drag engine. Its not the same engine. It has less than 30% of the same parts as the original and has tens-of-thousands of dollars worth of tuning time alone.

Out of the box its JUNK. Its tough, itll take abuse, but thats it. It was made to be a universal baseline powerplant that GM could dump into all thier POS cars... which they did.

Ill give the Eco the Pepsi challenge against an LD9 or older Quad any day of the week, and itll lose everytime.

Oh god....your comparing the Quad to the Ecotec? No sir you are a douche (see MR MORON for further proof). Dude the Quad engine is one of the worst engines ever. Apparently you don't work on many cars, and your dumb comments prove that. Go take your 'race ready' cavalier and practice drifting on your road course and show everyone what's up and how your god's gift to road racing....get real bro

Originally posted by SHIEF:

Dude the Quad engine is one of the worst engines ever.

this man speaks the truth, the Quad motor was a POS engine... I had a Grand AM with one in it and it went through SEVERAL head gaskets and was never reliable. Good riddance to that motor.

Originally posted by O.G.:

Incorrect...

The current best motor GM has out if we are going purely on horsepower numbers is GM part number 12498827 availiable through any dealer. This service replacement Gen IV big block cranks out over 720 hp bone stock....

theres no replacement for displacement smile.gif

big block > small block

true story

I agree, but going for what's ACTUALLY going into produciton cars and can take God knows how much abuse, the LS1 series motors = BEST hands down. Can't wait to test drive an LS2/LS7 one day. :cool:

Originally posted by Sapper98Z:

I agree, but going for what's ACTUALLY going into produciton cars and can take God knows how much abuse, the LS1 series motors = BEST hands down. Can't wait to test drive an LS2/LS7 one day. :cool:

The LS1 can take some abuse for sure but to say best hands down for abuse, I'll have to disagree with you on that. My engine has been running 15 pounds of boost for about a year and is about to run 19lbs of boost on an otherwise stock engine. There are guys who have been running Kenne Bell setups for over 30,000 miles at 17+ pounds of boost which is about 580RWHP. With a forged crank, Manley H beams and forged pistons I would put my engine up against any LS1 in the abuse department. :D

maybe if you compare all the domestic engines i might agree, but you guys are forgetting how reliable toyota engines are. they easily run past 250k miles without problems. although they arent exactly *** quickest or most powerful engines out there, they are built to last and it's the truth.

Originally posted by Andy F.:

maybe if you compare all the domestic engines i might agree, but you guys are forgetting how reliable toyota engines are. they easily run past 250k miles without problems. although they arent exactly *** quickest or most powerful engines out there, they are built to last and it's the truth.

I know of lots of 3800 V6 equipped cars that have done the same. My Delta 88 had 189k on it when it was totaled, and my family's 98 Intrigue has over 150k on it with no problems. There are plenty of other Grand Prix's, Buick's, and Old's that carry high miles and still run strong.

I think you're forgetting about Toyota's 'oil sledge' problems. My dad's '01 Avalon has had more problems then our Intrigue has ever had. Or did you forget that Buick was rated highest quality by JD Power and Ass. over Lexus and Toyota? Yes, they make good cars but every car company has their problems. A lot of people give GM a bad rap.

The Ecotec is a good engine, especially the newest versions that are out with the new updates. Just wait until the performance model Solstice comes out (GXP, GTP, whatever it'll be called) and you'll see the power it's capable of.

And in response to the original post, yes, i agree, the LS series engines are BADASS and can't be beat in a power vs. price vs. packaging size vs. reliability comparison.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

I hate the LS6.

...no wait.... scratch that... omg I've gone to the dark side

*zombie voice* LS6 best engine ever

*another zombie voice* Plus one.

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/480/z06onfeb1920050047ja.th.jpg

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/9693/z06onfeb1920050052mv.th.jpg

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/8244/z06onfeb1920050030oe.th.jpg