GM motors > Best EVAR!

Scotty2Hotty

Originally posted by Mallard:

I know of lots of 3800 V6 equipped cars that have done the same. My Delta 88 had 189k on it when it was totaled, and my family's 98 Intrigue has over 150k on it with no problems. There are plenty of other Grand Prix's, Buick's, and Old's that carry high miles and still run strong.
That's nothing. My dad's 91 or 93 (I can never remember) GMC Safari he ordered new w/ the TBI 4.3L has 306k on it, and my brother still drives (and is now beating on it) daily. Original motor/auto tranny.

My dad's 84 S-10 Tahoe he ordered new ran to 300k miles before developing a rod knock. Carbed 2.8L. I think it would have ran longer had his radiator not rusted out, overheated, damaged a head, and he put a used head on it; I think other damage may have occured. Truck still has original untouched 4-speed manual and original clutch.

But gotta give Ford a little credit too. My roomate's Mustang I'm buying next week has 197k on the clock, and has basically had nothing done to it (he bought it w/ 90k). In that 107k timeframe....water pump, air pump died (which took out the alternator; replaced and bypassed pump), U-joint, tie rod end. Other than general maintance (brakes, battery, fluid change, etc.) that's it. Not bad, not bad at all. Still runs strong too (well, as strong as a near stock SN95 4.9L can run........).

Traitor! What color Z06 did you get? I can't tell if it's black or blue.

Originally posted by AustinL911:

How'd you get pictures of my car? tongue.gif

Because it's sitting in my garage. smile.gif

Originally posted by Eatonup:

Traitor! What color Z06 did you get? I can't tell if it's black or blue.

Black. Pics are kind of crappy, given that they (1) were taken in my garage, which has crappy light and (2) were taken by my camera, which is kind of crappy itself.

Does this mean I've lost membership with the Cobra club? tongue.gifsmile.gif

Originally posted by Eatonup:

Yes! tongue.gif Nice purchase John. I can't wait to see it in action. :cool:

You'll have to get in line - Al, who I just sold my CAI and Flowmaster to, said, and I quote, "Hey, don't put an exhaust on it and we'll go out and see what I can do against it." graemlins/lol.gif

I plan on having it dynoed at Brian's completely stock just to see what numbers I'm starting with. Of course, I don't know much about the LS-series motors, so I'm not sure if 7,000 miles is enough to be considered "broken in."

*shakes off zombie daze*

HEY VENOM!

Congats on the....

*zombie voice*

LS6 best motor ever

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/944597/CarAtDealer.jpghttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/944597/MyMotorLS6.jpg

*shakes off zombie daze*

Wait til 8k at least man.

And do youself a favor and buy the CAGS Skipshift ELIMINATOR right no...

*zombie voice*

LS6 best motor ever

[ 21. February 2005, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

Originally posted by Shitaro:

this man speaks the truth, the Quad motor was a POS engine... I had a Grand AM with one in it and it went through SEVERAL head gaskets and was never reliable. Good riddance to that motor.

Depends what quad 4 your talking about. I shoved 8 lbs of boost down my LD9 and did many WOT runs only to find out a couple months later my a/f was 15:1. Its stock now and doesn't have one problem.

Originally posted by Venomss:

You'll have to get in line - Al, who I just sold my CAI and Flowmaster to, said, and I quote, "Hey, don't put an exhaust on it and we'll go out and see what I can do against it." graemlins/lol.gif

I plan on having it dynoed at Brian's completely stock just to see what numbers I'm starting with. Of course, I don't know much about the LS-series motors, so I'm not sure if 7,000 miles is enough to be considered "broken in."

Damn shame you got an 04 (sort of), because I'm buying HP Tuners for the '03 Z06 here in the next month or two. (This software can eliminate the CAGS Skipshift Mowgli was referring to, along with reflashing your entire VCM. smile.gif Otherwise, the tuner could be used on both cars (it's locked to certain model years). Anyways, Congradulations on the new car. Hope to have one within the next month or so. :D

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Out of curiousity, Austin, did you look at EFILive for tuning, and if so, what made you pick HPTuner over it?

Haven't looked into EFILive much lately. Last I heard, they were working on there own flashing software to compliment their scanner, but I never researched it any more than that. I had planned to go with HPTuners because they seem to be doing some amazing things. It seems they have just flat out stomped LS1 Edit into the ground. I like the fact that HPtuners now has the capabilitly of running straight speed density for the forced induction guys ( ;) ) I also like how they seem to be great with their customer service, just from what I've read.

Have you researched the new EFILive flashing software any? I might have to do some searching myself.

The HPTuners just seems like such a good investment. I plan on purchasing a tuning software before I buy anything else for the next car. Just to make sure I'm ready for the rest of the mods.

Hmm - I'd heard the opposite on HPTuner's customer support, but this is from a guy that was on the EFILive beta.

As for research I've only been haunting the websites of them and asking questions on board - the pricepoint has me delaying. That and I don't want to weld a new bung for a wideband. Anyhow - here's EFI Live's website, and a screengrab of it in action.

EFI Live

http://www.nitro-nights.com/2005v/efilive/efilive_screen.jpg