Do the smart folks think splitting SEMI's is DUMB? (Video)

NinjaNick

Do you ride recklessly in traffic?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride recklessly in traffic?

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never

When anybody on here rides with me, I'm putting my life in their hands. If they ride like jackasses, I'm out. I don't want to be associated with dillweeds. I'm not risking my life riding with people who want to act like idiots. Now, if you want to do a high speed run at 3a with no traffic, let me know. But weaving in and out of traffic, splitting between cars/semis, wheelies in traffic, etc........ count me out.

Here's my post from the other thread:

:plus1:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say that's being "safe". That's why I go with the flow of traffic. Kinda like that asshole cager going 55. That's not safe. Low speed does not mean safe by any means. Hell, one of the reasons I feel so safe on a bike is because of the acceleration it has to get the fuck out of the way quickly.

:plus1: Whenever I am riding on the highway, I always go a little faster or accelerate out of traffic to stay away from them. Why?, because I don't know what the hell that cager next to me is thinking. I have seen too many close calls were someone will just merge into the next lane or hell even turn their "right" turn signal on and then merge left. The reason I think lane splitting at these speeds are ridiculous is because you are putting your life into someone else's hands. You don't know what they are going to do. For those that took the MSF course that is the one thing I can remember them repeating over and over.

Yes, I do push myself and my bike in the twisties around blind curves, over hills. But, I am doing it in an environment where I don't have to have the added thought of what someone else is going to do. At that point I know my life is in my hands, not in someone else's.

Just my 2cents.

Kind of meant to be.

My point of this is that we've all done it once. It's a rush, a thrill. I was riding I-17 in AZ once and went to pass a car before we got up to a semi and the car sped up so I couldn't get around...I went for it anyway. Ended up in cutting in front of the car I had to lean the bike hard and brushed my shoulder against the corner of the semi...Could have been ugly.

I will probably do it again. I do it alone. Never when I'm riding with other people on bikes. I look ahead and plan for the unplanned. I've put my life and others at risk.

A few have ridden with me on here and they will attest that I ride safe. But we all have our weaknesses. I'm not defending those guys, I just think it's a bit two-faced to be judgemental toward them when we've all done it.

Wrong! They do it all the time we've been told. So your points are irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Oh...the poll question was not created too well. Plus I don't see the point of having it. Who the hell decided they HAD to do that? I'm guessing DUSTIN because he has it written in bold above one of his posts? The poll has too many choices that contradict rolled into one.

I guess one of the things that surprised me was that there's a name for it......."Filtering".....as if that now legitimizes reckless behavior?!? When I've ridden recklessly........I call it what it is

I grew up on the back of a bike.......Been from the Smokey's to California to Manitoba, Canada.......But that's a new one on me. Had anyone else heard that term before this thread?

**The other thing was the brazenness to not only tape it, complete with plates (I'm sure law enforcement could clean up the graininess nicely)......but post it online putting them in a completely different type of risk!

Oh...the poll question was not created too well. Plus I don't see the point of having it. Who the hell decided they HAD to do that? I'm guessing DUSTIN because he has it written in bold above one of his posts? The poll has too many choices that contradict rolled into one.

Respectfully agree to disagree. Yes I made the poll.

I guess one of the things that surprised me was that there's a name for it......."Filtering".....as if that now legitimizes reckless behavior?!? When I've ridden recklessly........I call it what it is

I grew up on the back of a bike.......Been from the Smokey's to California to Manitoba, Canada.......But that's a new one on me. Had anyone else heard that term before this thread?

**The other thing was the brazenness to not only tape it, complete with plates (I'm sure law enforcement could clean up the graininess nicely)......but post it online putting them in a completely different type of risk!

"filtering" is the british term...

it means passing between vehicles, usually done at stop lights (all the bikes filter through to the front of the light)

this is done so the faster accelerating bikes don't have to wait behind a lorry, or a mini while they pick up speed...

cheerio!

Wrong! They do it all the time we've been told. So your points are irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Every city has riders that are balls out and ready to run from the cops at anytime! Nothing anyone says will change it...one day they will either get caught, die, or post more of their videos for us to watch on youtube. So, for those who don't usually ride like that and may break the law while on the motorcycle occasionally, just be prepared to pay for what the guy who hasn't got caught has done...sucks but that's just the way the cookie crumbles...

"filtering" is the british term...

it means passing between vehicles, usually done at stop lights (all the bikes filter through to the front of the light)

this is done so the faster accelerating bikes don't have to wait behind a lorry, or a mini while they pick up speed...

cheerio!

Google that, did'ja Duane?!? ;)

I agree, the poll was awfully biased. I edited it and deleted everyone's votes. Now let's try this again.

The basis of the poll was to make a point that we've all ridden stupidly. Whether it be once or daily. We've all done it and anybody that says they haven't is living a lie.

These type of threads irritate me because whether this particular group rides like that all the time and video tapes it and is proud of it or not doesn't matter. The topic as a whole draws out the hypoctisy in some. We're on two wheels we all break the law.

The basis of the poll was to make a point that we've all ridden stupidly. Whether it be once or daily. We've all done it and anybody that says they haven't is living a lie.

These type of threads irritate me because whether this particular group rides like that all the time and video tapes it and is proud of it or not doesn't matter. The topic as a whole draws out the hypoctisy in some. We're on two wheels we all break the law.

The debate isn't about breaking the law. Its about putting others lives' at risk. Its about riding like a fucktard, making videos of it, and posting it on the internet. It isn't like this is a rare thing for them...... I watched some of the other videos on their youtube list.

yeah, i must say there is an elemental difference between rolling the throttle into the mid triple digits on an empty patch of freeway, and darting between moderate to heavy traffic...

All my dumbass moments were done on dirt, with non-moving rocks, cactus, etc. If I screwed up and wrecked without the benefit of another human being factored in, there is no way in HELL I'd consider pushing it in traffic.

With that being said, if there was a situation where the importance of getting to/from somewhere necessitated pushing it, I probably would split lanes, weave, etc. But that would have to be some serious need, i.e. - life or death.

I've split lanes on 90 before...

In some places the lanes are a mile wide, and I can't stand to sit behind snail races...(2 idiots, sided by side, doing within a mph of each other)

so occasionally I'll open it up and shoot the gap, but it really depends on how close they are, how much faster I'm going, etc...and what else is going on...

there are a lot of factors, but I do it with a reasonable amount of safety...