mustang question

Jimmy Notchback

I just put a new ram air on my 91 5.0. It runs fine above 2200 rpm but when its below that and im just cruising it sounds like its missing, the car seems to stumble and kind of jump forward on its own, not much but Im kind of a perfectionist about these things and it will bug me to no end. I changed the plugs, cap/rotor, and wires at the beginning of this summer. The timing is set at 15 and the injectors are calibrated and what not. I have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator so Im gonna mess with that tonight as well as clean my MAF. If anyone else has any ideas Id love to know.

Guest rperry74
Its air turbulence. At lower engine speeds, there isn't enough velocity to smooth the airflow out, therefore causing this "problem". Once you get the RPMs up, the vacuum from the intake causes the air to speed up and smooth out. This happens with people who have conical filters and no shroud that are next to the alternator, usually on fox bodies. The fan from the alternator can cause turbulence from the side of the filter and disrupt the airflow until you build up engine speed, kind of like in your case. I am not really sure how to resolve situation though, maybe try to straighten out the ducting as much as possible, and make sure everything is fitted up well. If there are any screens you might try removing them as long as you have a good filter setup in there. Just what I think.

There is no bend before the maf, the filter is located right on the fenderwell exactly like the stock one. also the ram air has a scoop that is located on the bottom of the front bumper. if airturbulance is the problem im guessing the location causes more bends to go through before it gets to the maf. Can air turbulance hurt my power at all? thanks for the help guys in advance