Rear End confusion

desperado

I came across something odd, a front loading rear end that a guy is telling me is a Chevy part. I personally have never seen a front loading chevy. I know the ford 9's and the dodge 8.75's were front loading, hell I have had both in cars in the past. I am thinking this is a ford 9 but it seens a bit large to be a 9. The snout on the center section seems to be longer than any I have seen, and it's beefier than most factrog ford 9 center sections as well.

Anybody know anything about this?

GM 8.2 ?

http://hotrod.com/techarticles/p113608_image_large.jpg

Yes and no.... It does look like that, but it's bigger. And where that is sort of squared off in the pumpkin, this thing is round. And it's got more bolts holding the center into the casing than that one.

Right... I did some research, and have come to the conclusion it's possibly an old Oldsmobile rear. I will try to get some pics of it.

I will say that with the trans that is in the car, and the 32/14/15 slicks on the car (transbrake and reverse valve body). I would say what ever it is, it must be fairly strong.