Anyone Here A Paramedic?

AhSatan

I'll share what I can, but I'll give him a call later this afternoon for some more info.

Pay changes depending on location. He lives and works in West Virginia, but says he could make far more if he were to move here. I don't know specifics, but I don't think you will start off great. But it is a moderate to high demand job, so it's secure. I've known people to around here to start off around $10/hour mainly just driving ambulance.

I don't believe you need any special training to drive. EMT and Paramedic are different levels that require different certifications. I do know that you have to pass state exams to reach those levels. My friend went to an EMT school for a few years before trying any of them. He's had to come up here several times to take a nationwide test, and claims no one passes it the first time. He loves it though, I can't see him doing anything else, but it's a rough life. He started off as a junior volunteer firefighter, so this has always been a part of his life.

Most of the stuff he does is transports patients, but he sees some harsh stuff. If you think that there's any chance you wouldn't be able to stomach seeing people die, seeing people bleeding, etc, look at something else. He tells me that he always hates new years eve, and he has some stories to back up why.

The only other thing I can think of offhand are the hour. Most ambulance companies (not sure about hospitals) run anywhere from 12 hour shifts to 3 days straight. The hours are hard to deal with.

I'm not trying to talk you out of this line of work, it's comendable that you would want to help people that way. Just keep in mind that nothing about this job is easy.

I'm an EMT-basic.. which is about 900 hours less training than a medic, but I can answer any questions you have.

Ok so what is the difference? Besides the number of hours. What all do I need to complete before I can start looking for a job?

You have to take EMT-Basic first. which should only last 10 weeks depending on where you go.. After that, you can take EMT-Intermediate.. or skip intermediate and go straight to medic. EMT-Basic is just basic life support.. You CAN take vitals, you learn a lot of anatomy/physiology. Take vitals, etc. Paramedic is a lot more advanced, you can start IV's, give medicine intraveneously. You learn the Anatomy/physiology a lot more.. if you want to work for a private ambulance company, you would make 10-11 an hour as a paramedic depending on where you go. If you want to get hired on at a fire department, you would make a lot more.. it is definitely harder to get on a fire department though. your best bet is to take basic, get on a volunteer department to see if you like it, then take medic and try to get on a private ambulance company..if you have any other questions, IM me