Anyone know anything about the Mazda Protege5's?

Bam

We are looking around for a new vehicle for the wifey and she liked this 2002 Mazda Protege wagon. It's got 58k on it, fully loaded, auto, black on black w/ chrome rims etc. The dealer is asking $7,999. Good deal or no? Any experience with quality or reliability? We just want something that gets good gas mileage while having room. Particularly looking at 4 door hatchbacks.

Thanks

Matt

We are looking around for a new vehicle for the wifey and she liked this 2002 Mazda Protege wagon. It's got 58k on it, fully loaded, auto, black on black w/ chrome rims etc. The dealer is asking $7,999. Good deal or no? Any experience with quality or reliability? We just want something that gets good gas mileage while having room. Particularly looking at 4 door hatchbacks.

Thanks

Matt

great cars handle great kinda slow, huge aftermarket, we almost picked one up before Des got her contour but the prices were still way high

that is pretty cheap for one bring it up to me so i can look it over.

He traded our 02 silver pro 5 in not too long ago (went to the 3). It was and is a great car. Only thing i was upset with the oem rotors warped at around 30k but I was defently hard on the car. Also if you can drive a stick I would opt for that over the auto.

your price sounds kinda low when we traded our car in (back in june) they were being sold at dealers for as low as 10k and as high as 13k. Would have someone look the car over.

Luck on your search.

Thanks yeah I'll definitely get Derek to check it out. It did sound cheap to me for such a new car w/ not a ton of miles.

I wouldn't mind a stick, but that's the reason we're getting her a new car, her current car is a 2004 Toyota Matrix and its a stick, her first one and while she drives it just fine she hates it, and wants an auto again...

Thanks guys, I'll search for aftermarket support, maybe she'll let me slam it on some 20's....i kid, i kid.

Yeah, the car definately needs some winter tires. There is decent aftermarket support for the car, but they are mostly what I would call "ricer" products. However, all the MSP stuff will bolt on to that car so you could do a cheap brake and suspension upgrade if you want to make the car a little more fun.

Hey Mallard, what did they change from the P5 to your Madzaspeed in terms of suspension and breaks? Just stiffen it up or lower it as well? Larger rotors/calipers or what? Does it swap right in or would I have to change out other parts as well?

Thanks

Matt

Oh and yeah I've got a setup of Bridgestone turanza's for winter duties for her car, but I doubt with 58k on the p5 its still on original tires.

Suspension was Tokico shocks, Eibach springs, Racing Beat sway bars. It lowered the car about an inch and are slightly stiffer springs (145 lb/in front/117.5 lb/in rear vs. 121/95.5). I *think* the MSP rear sway bar will work on a P5, but I can't say positively that the rear subframe is the same. Although I'm pretty sure a few guys on the Mazda forum have them.

The brakes are larger rotors and different calipers. (10.8" front rotors/11.0" solid rears, single piston calipers all around.) It's all parts bin stuff, I think they were from a 626, but don't quote me on that. There is a vender on the forum putting together a group buy on all the brake components to upgrade Protege's to the MSP stuff.