Help!!!Gas Leak

ER34

tac-weld it :)

:eek:

God I hope you are being sarcastic.

On monster garage the had an epoxy type filler for repairing diesel tanks, they used it to repair a bad weld on a modified tank (the cummins 400 they turend into a trike)

You may want to ask a diesel tech (grease monkey perhaps) if he can find some of this, and if it is compatible with gasoline.

• 3 weeks later...
Aarow Radiator will clean it and coat the inside and say it will last like 20 yrs or something.We had it done to my Dads 1960 Impala tank about 8 years ago.Their number is 876-6146.That should plug up a pinhole.

JB Weld isn't really the way to go unless you can ge the tank empty. It will break down in gasoline untill it's setup completely. And while I would pull the tank and braze it, I would not advise you to do the same. (Yes, I have, several times, but the tanks were full of CO2 gas.)

There is a product that is specifically sold for doing this and it will apply to a surface that is wet with gasoline and stick. Autozone and such carry it. You need to make sure that you identify the location of the leak and if it's under the strap or not.

surface prep as follows, and have a fire extinguisher handy. With a BRASS wire brush, clean as much crud off as you can then sand the surface with 60 grit paper. Remember that if the tank is rusting through you may create more holes, but better now when they can be fixed than later. Get the surface free of rust and paint. Then take some MEK, Acetone, or Xylene and clean the surface. Remember this shit is 3 times as flammable as gas, so be careful. Once you have done this the first time, locate any holes and run sheetmetal screws in them. Do NOT use and gaskets, these will temp plug the holes and get the flow of fuel to a minimum. If the leaks are really small, as you described before, don't worry about the screws, if you have a constant drip ot its running out in a stream, use screws. Do not run the screws in with a drill, just use a screwdriver. Once you have in the screws if you need them, get the patch mixxed up and ready to apply. Once its' ready wipe off the spot with the solvent again, let it dry for 10 seconds and apply the patch material.

I know this is NOT what the directions say. And if you choose to follow them, you ahve a 50/50 shot at getting teh hole plugged. I have done more patches like this thanI care to remember and none of them leaked.