Formula retired for the year

MrMeanGreen

Yeah, so is there a page the has the various v6 gm ngines laid out so I can figure out l67 vs lc2 vs 3800 II vs what ever the fuck. Just a handy reference and what years they came in what.

Thanks

Heh, well let me shoot from the hip here. This may not be exact, but it's close:

The GN's, Turbo TA's, T-Type Regals, etc all had the LC2 which was a factory turbo motor of 3.8l displacement. In 1989 GM replaced the "3.8" LC2 with the "3800 Series I" which, really, was physically nearly the same as the LC2 they just changed the name to fit their new four digit naming scheme. I'm not sure what the code was, I believe it remained LC2.

In 1992 the Bonneville SSEi got the first 3800 Series I with an Eaton M62, coded "L67." In 1996 the 3800 Series I was replaced by the Series II and given the Eaton designed, GM cast M90 and kept the "L67" code. In 2004 the Grand Prix GTP received the 3800 Series III dubbed "L32" - major differences are drive-by-wire, a fifth generation Eaton designed GM cast M90, and powdered metal connecting rods. All other GM vehicles with the blown 3800 (Impala, MC, etc) retained the 3800 Series II L67 with no changes.

The blown "L67/L32" 3800 Series II/III will be dead after this year, or possibly next, as GM reduces its stock of the motors. Blown 3800's have ceased production and all projects surrounding the 3800 ceased in January of this year. The non-forced induction 3800's will remain in production until 2006 and then will be dead in 2008 or possibly 2009 as GM reduces stock on these motors also.

The 3800 will then be completely gone.

Hey Marc, FYI, that red ZZP car that drives on the street went NINES tonight. ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

Its most excellent that Zoom got into 9s. But to call that a practical daily driver, is alittle bit of a stretch. Like Matt can drive the v8 rx7...but one would be rather foolish to drive it daily.

Did zoom weigh it in public yet?

Nate, before you speak about his car, go to Michigan and watch him drive it on the street. I've seen it first hand, several times. He still does. ;)

Nope, but you and Cain should chill out because it weighs more than you think. ;)

Thanks chris. :thumbup:

Any info on the na engines?

I am curious about the v6 in my beater. 3.8 sfi in an 1086 olds delta 88. Fwd, seems prety tourqey, almost fun to drive, especialy for a beater. Just wondering what it will take before it would blow.

God damn, you want me to do the n/a engines too? Fuck.

You have a 3.8l, same as the LC2 but no turbo and related to the 3800 Series I in the exact same fashion (is yours called a 3800? I might have the re-name date wrong). In 1995.5 it was replaced by the Series II 3800 "L36." The 2004+ Grand Prix got the 3800 Series III "L26", same changes as the L32 sans the blower obviously. Other GM vehicles kept the L36.

Before you ask, no, none of the parts from the 3.8 and the 3800 Series I are interchangeable to the Series II except the connecting rod bolts. There is nothing interchangeable to the Series III.

Nate, before you speak about his car, go to Michigan and watch him drive it on the street. I've seen it first hand, several times. He still does. ;)

Nope, but you and Cain should chill out because it weighs more than you think. ;)

Chris,

Caindo is still stuck on throwing money at problems, sort of like a certain vendor local to us. He's just one of those guys, I guess. The thing I ask about the weight is just based off histroy, Zoom's always been a hardcore guy when it comes to weight saving. Thing is, I'm fairly sure they still run glass windows and some other junk, so in turn think it would be heavier or just as heavy as their compeitor? I would guess maybe 100lbs within each other with the cages and whatnot? The trap shows that they are defintely making some power, and more power to them.

But for a daily driver, you usually have more then one seat in the car, and probably the backseat or atleast the passanger seat. Sure the car can have all of the interior back in, but It wouldn't do 9s. I guess I think of street cars as like your brothers, no major interior modifications.

Chris,

Caindo is still stuck on throwing money at problems, sort of like a certain vendor local to us. He's just one of those guys, I guess. The thing I ask about the weight is just based off histroy, Zoom's always been a hardcore guy when it comes to weight saving. Thing is, I'm fairly sure they still run glass windows and some other junk, so in turn think it would be heavier or just as heavy as their compeitor? I would guess maybe 100lbs within each other with the cages and whatnot? The trap shows that they are defintely making some power, and more power to them.

But for a daily driver, you usually have more then one seat in the car, and probably the backseat or atleast the passanger seat. Sure the car can have all of the interior back in, but It wouldn't do 9s. I guess I think of street cars as like your brothers, no major interior modifications.

Yes, they still run glass windows and all of that good stuff. The weight difference between the two cars is much greater than 100lbs I would say, especially having intimate knowledge of the competitors’ car. ;) There is a lot more that the ZZP car has on it versus the other car.

I don't think it's outlandish to call it a street car even though they remove the interior. Think about it, it adds another 200lbs, which now puts them in the 10.1x's - and with a proper 1.5x launch and traction they are back into the 9's. Not too bad, methinks. Especially for a car that still has a stereo, power windows, power steering, etc.

your car is going to continue to eat 4l60's they just don't hold up long term put a 400 in it instead of dumping ten tons of money into that 4spd again.

that turbo is a little small for a single but if you give it a twin its good to go :)

we might have to have a little buick versus pontiac rematch in norwalk in the spring :)

good luck with that thing I feel sorry for people who have to work on the ground now that I'm all spoiled at firestone....