Anyone modify Saturns?

rogue male

I could take a large dump, build a big motor and put some wheels on it, and with enough money, it would probably smoke most anything it went against. That doesn't mean I should be building up a piece of shit (literally or figuretively). There is nothing impressive about Saturns, from a perfomance standpoint. They aren't fast, they don't have a lot of potential, and have never been meant to. FWD econoboxes, not race cars!

Says the hardcore mullet guy.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest onebadkustom
I'm thinking of adding the injen intake for some extra power up top to cut down on those building length leads pepole tend to get on me ;)

I couldnt but help noticed you said you wanted to gain some top end to cut down on the building length leads people get on you.. Top End wont be your only problem. If you have some low end power and torque, you wont have as much of a problem because you will be keeping up with them until you hit say (3rd) if thats even a 5speed and then your going to go down hill from there. We have a Saturn in our car club. Two of them to be exact. Nothing special done to them as far as performance. You can check them out on the members page at www.xtremedynamix.com if you would like. They are saving their money to get kits to make it look fancy since they know their slow. :):D

The ecotec engine was reduced to a 2.0l due to the shorter stroke. That engine is by far the strongest 4 cylinder ever made. The ecotec powered drag car was putting over 1200whp down with that engine. I haven't seen a 4g63 or sr20det do that before. When they put that engine in the rwd sky the car will become the new platform of performance. Yeah it will be more expensive and people will cry that it's a Saturn but the potential is huge.

On the other hand the 1.9 llo engine that Saturn gave the S series is lacking in a lot of areas but even for a foam-cast aluminium block it has shown to hold a good amount of power. The car doesn't handle like a corvette but has won a TON of SCCA events which proves that it's no slouch in that department. Looks? what can you say, you either love it or hate it. Power? In stock form it is lacking but with a power adder such as nitrous you can see low 13s high 12s in the quarter which is pretty good for any car.

I think that the point is anyone can make a v8 fast. It takes every little know how to make those cars fast just call up Jegs and order the "hi-po kit". On the other hand being different and trying something new is always appealing to me. I enjoy the challenge of making my "FWD econobox" faster and, although you can't polish a turd, it sure makes me feel good when I pass v8s.

You are always going to have the debate as to why mod a v8 and why mod an econobox. On the other hand, I would prefer to take a slower car with little to none market, and build it how I want to. It's so easy for you to just go to Summit or Jegs, browse through the catalog, and just spend all sorts of money on what already made for you, or you can start from scratch, fabricate your own, actually learn something from the experience, and be relatively fast.

I'm not going to sit back here and tell everyone how my Saturn is the fastest thing, because it isn't. Would I ever own or mod a v8? No. There is no challenge. I would prefer taking a slow car and making it faster (especially a car you wouldn't expect anything from) over taking a fast car and making it faster.

Is that in a parking lot or one driving normal down the street?

Ohhh SNAP! You're right I have never raced a v8 car before but I think that my Saturn may have enough to suprise a few v8 cars and not just passing them in parking lots.

It is obvious what you consider fast, is still slow as piss to me.

heh.

onebadkustom

Good info thanks!

Look rougue...I'm going to go ahead and call you a ricer, because I believe you are one. Do you want to know why I think that? Because you have listed -2 iridium spark plugs as a "mod" along with your body mad tyte kit. Let me tell you, you have no problems with detonation with a basically stock engine. You have just wasted yo money on that little "mod". In fact you would need to make about ohhhh, 400hp on that 1.9 before you would even consider 2 step colder plugs to "reduce REAL detonation". I'm not in a real positive mood right now, and maybe that's why I'm coming off mean. But you sir are a ricer and your "mods" prove it. Oh, and I bet you for what your car is worth (which is 2 coney dogs and a oreo blizzard), that you could not for the life of you put together ANY V8 by yourself and make it fast. Which according to you is 12's.

Spend little money and make a V8 fast, or spend lots of money to put a 4 cylinder into the 14's.. who's really losing here?

Word. I'm tired of everyone saying, "I'd rather make my 4cyl fast and be diff. then take a fast car and make it fast as hell cuz it's easy." That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard, and at one point thought i believed that, but your no diff. then the millions of other kids that say the same thing. When I graduate, I'm buying something fast, and making it faster. Tired of spending time to buy parts for my car that will never be fast w/o a lot of time/work/money just because it's 'differant'. No offense. It's a good daily driver, and it should stay that way.

I haven't seen a 4g63 or sr20det do that before.

Rofl, you have much to learn.

Do yourself a favor and drop 10k into properly turbo charging your car w/ the supporting mods. When you have it all dialed in i'll take a bet in any sum of money you like that a c5 zo6/ws6/z28/mach 1 with 1/4 of the money invested into that car cannot beat you from a dig or roll. Hell my money would be on the v8 if it was only sprayed. The sad reality to the situation is it would take you 6-7k at the least to have a solid 12 second car. You can take a used ls1 powered car and drop a 100 shot in it and easily hit that mark for 6-700 dollars. You have a shitty platform to start with, this is why you could hear crickets chirping when you asked how many people mod these cars. Keep it a reliable daily driver and get a platform engineered to be fast. I speak from experience.

Learn to recognize those who are far more knowledgeable than yourself. Then make a note to yourself not to call them "tards".

Woah so what your saying is someone who can make a DSM faster than a Saturn is more knowledgeable about performance? I'm not sure if that is true. Seems to me that a turbo car from the factory will be faster than a Saturn from the factory. Than add the HUGE aftermarket support for DSMs and nothing for Saturns logically you would have to say that it takes more to make a Saturn fast than a DSM.

His is still faster than your Commuter lunch box will ever be. Learn to recognize those who are far more knowledgeable than yourself. Then make a note to yourself not to call them "tards".

I sincerely appologize for my hateful words and promise to be your best friend eva.