Where to get special tool for VW/Audi?

Trouble Maker

The clamp/cripmer that is used to tighten the one use clamps. Need to replace the CV boot and the kit that is being shiped comes with two of those bad boys.

You can see the clamps and the tool on this page. At least this is the only pic I could find of the tool. I'm not sure if the VW/Audi special tool is this exact tool, similar to this, or different. I just need some sort of tool that can crimp this type of clamp.

Also, is it 'regular' for parts/tool stores to carry inside 12pt bits? I might need to remove the whole shaft and these type of bolts is how the front half shaft is connected to the tranny/transfer case.

TIA.

Also, if you have an old pair of glass snips or sidecutters, you could file/grind the edge down so that they are not sharp and use those. (perhaps a set that is about trashed anyway).

The clamps you are getting really dont get that tight anyway. Napa also carries a ratchet style tool and these band clamps that get tighter and stay tighter. Just a more quality setup all around.

The clamps you are getting really dont get that tight anyway. Napa also carries a ratchet style tool and these band clamps that get tighter and stay tighter. Just a more quality setup all around.

100% agree. Jesse use the ratchet style clamps they will seal that boot much better.

And for future reference ZDmack sells all kinds of audi/vw tools.

Which style of clamps are you guys talking about. IIRC unless you spend some money on ones that are designed not to dig into stuff (constant torque style ones), it's not a good idea to use them on something like this. If they are a stereotypical worm band it can dig into the rubber and damage it.

I've already ordered the 'kit' for $20 that comes with these so if I can find somewhere/somehow that i can make/borrow/rent this tool, I'll use them. They are good enough from the factory for 5years/100kmi. That's not what failed.

The "inside 12 point bits" that you are referring to are called serrated wrenches. They are available at NAPA, and International auto parts. I don't know about Int'l, but the NAPA part numbers should be as follows (They are KD Service tools)

SERRATED WRENCH 8MM P/N 2304

SERRATED WRENCH 10MM P/N 2305

SERRATED WRENCH 12MM P/N 2306

if you get the clamps that need the ratchet tightener, you can borrow my tool.

Cool, thanks man.

Does anyone have a link to the ‘ratcheting’ style clamps as I’m having a hard time picturing what they look like? I was having a hard time with NAPAs website when I tried to find it.

The "inside 12 point bits" that you are referring to are called serrated wrenches. They are available at NAPA, and International auto parts. I don't know about Int'l, but the NAPA part numbers should be as follows (They are KD Service tools)

SERRATED WRENCH 8MM P/N 2304

SERRATED WRENCH 10MM P/N 2305

SERRATED WRENCH 12MM P/N 2306

Thanks for the info on the serrated tool too!

"ratchet" band-style clamps (large):

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=28641433&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=

ratchet tool:

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15612564&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=

remember the clamps come in two sizes... for one boot you need one small and one large.

I searched CV clamp to find these.

Dont get me wrong... if you already have the stuff to do the crimp style, go for it. Most cars use them and they hold up for a while. I just wanted to point out that there are better clamps.