Mid-Ohio driving couse

6 Speed S4

http://www.racenasa.com, sign up for Group 1 HPDE. Great instruction in your own car for about 1/4 the price. I recomend signing up for Beaverun, its a great beginners track. If you wanna use some one elses RSX and not get a chance to actualy open lap, go with the Mid Ohio School.

I'm not sure if there's a Celica or Toyota group locally that has track events but if such groups exist join up and attend one of their HPDE's.

If not join either PCA or BMWCCA...I don't really think you have to own the car to join the club. (example...no Porsche for me but I'm a member). I KNOW they have HPDE's all over and several chapters to participate with as well.

Blackbird. My impression was that the NASA events were pretty advanced. Maybe I have the wrong imression. I made the mistake of signing my wife up for the Trackquest (RIP) event this past year for her first on-track experience. She was miserable and afraid the entire day as the pace was quite fast even in the beginners group.

Andy

Blackbird. My impression was that the NASA events were pretty advanced. Maybe I have the wrong imression. I made the mistake of signing my wife up for the Trackquest (RIP) event this past year for her first on-track experience. She was miserable and afraid the entire day as the pace was quite fast even in the beginners group.

Andy

Realy? They popped my cherry, I didn't find it too bad. But, you are right, it does depend on the experience level going into it. I'm group 3-4 now, depending on what car I take. The nice thing now is, Group 1 and group 2 are run separately of all other groups. It can be intimidating if you're in group one getting accosted by group 2 cars.

www.racenasa.com, sign up for Group 1 HPDE. Great instruction in your own car for about 1/4 the price. I recomend signing up for Beaverun, its a great beginners track. If you wanna use some one elses RSX and not get a chance to actualy open lap, go with the Mid Ohio School.

Problems: insurance-some may not be covered for on-track stuff

safety-some may feel safer in an RSX with a cage and 5 pt. harnesses versus their street car with factory cage and shoulder belt. i know i wouldn't take my dad's M3 out until i felt like i was much more advanced

risk-mid-ohio is really good about getting you into racing, because what you do on the street is MUCH different than what you do on the track...apples and oranges, and a lot of people don't know that until they get experience.

i've done the 3-day course at mid-ohio. that is the high performance driving day (which is what you're gonna do) the "ultra high performance day" which is all on-track instruction...it includes a lot of practice on some of the more difficult parts of the track, and ride-along instruction. i was lucky enough to have one of the instructors think i was good enough to deserve extra attention, so i got a lot of help from him (tommy byrne, had a short stint as a backup or something in F1 i believe). the third day is straight up lapping. the first part of the day is a track walk, which takes about 2 hours and is infinitely useful in explaining the track. then a little lead-follow as warm-up, then about 3 hours of open lapping. after 3 days straight of this, i was completely beat but i feel a lot more comfortable at speeds and making bolder moves on-track. the only other experience i've had is at Skip Barber in Lime Rock, so i can't rag on NASA or anything. thats just my .02

http://www.racenasa.com, sign up for Group 1 HPDE. Great instruction in your own car for about 1/4 the price. I recomend signing up for Beaverun, its a great beginners track. If you wanna use some one elses RSX and not get a chance to actualy open lap, go with the Mid Ohio School.

im considering it. Thanks for the info everyone

Problems: insurance-some may not be covered for on-track stuff

safety-some may feel safer in an RSX with a cage and 5 pt. harnesses versus their street car with factory cage and shoulder belt.

A; You are covered by your insurance company as long as its not a timed event, its a driving school

B; Dont think the RSX with a 5 pt is any safer. The only benifit of a 5pt in cageless cars is the fact that it holds you while driving, leaving your arms and legs free to do what they need to do, not having to brace yourself with them.

I attended kind of a mix of the performance driving course and the advanced course. Basically it was some of both crammed into a one day event. They kind of gave us a "taste" of everything except lapping solo (although I did get a 7/10ths blast around the track with Tommy *damn rain*). That class was probably one of the funnest things I have done in a long time, and it taught me alot about car control and anticipation. I thought I was a fairly good driver before, but they showed me I have alot of bad habits and how to correct them. I think if I had the whole 3 days to work at it, i could have really showed some improvement. Even though I just got the one day in, it changed the way I drive and has renewed my plans to finally get out and do some autox and maybe some HPDEs when I find the money.

Also, those RSXs are pretty well prepped and were a blast to drive on the autox and threshhold braking drills (although I suspect part of that is knowing it's not my car I am beating up).

Overall, I think it was a great experience. I would like to do it again, the whole class. You may not get alot of seat time, but you'll get plent of valuable instruction that you can later apply when you get some real track time.