Come spring the new king of Cbus will be a 4.6 32v 281

Sam1647545489

powers when do you think your car will be done man?

Car will be back together and running with all the new driveline in a few weeks. It will be another 60-90 days before the new fuel system and turbo is complete. All the parts are in it is just a matter of time before it is all done.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 408turbostang
not to piss anybody off but i agree with buckeye on the 3v 4 pounds of boost=400hp the 03-04 cobras run 8lbs stock i think and have around 390 the 3v is a badass motor but thats my 2 cents on that

not to piss anybody off but i agree with buckeye on the 3v 4 pounds of boost=400hp the 03-04 cobras run 8lbs stock i think and have around 390 the 3v is a badass motor but thats my 2 cents on that

that is such a bad comparison.

You are comparing a motor with a much higher compression ratio and 4 lbs of boost to a car built to take boost with a lower compression ration and less timming at tip in in lower rpm ranges becasue of the roots blower. If you had the exact same bottom end and power adder the 4v would win every time.

Guest 408turbostang
actully it is a roots blower low compresion at 8.5 to 1 less timing look up the new sallen s 281 supercharged lower compresion 4lbs of boost less timing and 400hp granted the cobra is a bad ass car but the new 3 valve is a badass motor oh actully i think it is 3.5lbs of boost i'll have to find the magazine article again but its not that much boost

actully it is a roots blower low compresion at 8.5 to 1 less timing look up the new sallen s 281 supercharged lower compresion 4lbs of boost less timing and 400hp granted the cobra is a bad ass car but the new 3 valve is a badass motor oh actully i think it is 3.5lbs of boost i'll have to find the magazine article again but its not that much boost

if the 3v head flows so much better why did ford not put it on the new 07 cobra? Like I said all things equal the 4v will without a doubt make more power.

Guest 408turbostang
but then with another cam and cam gear you get more sress on the crank and get a bigger parastic drag so might make more power but also losing power from drag and the weight of 2 more cams

but then with another cam and cam gear you get more sress on the crank and get a bigger parastic drag so might make more power but also losing power from drag and the weight of 2 more cams

drag is not from the cam it is from the valve springs so acording to your theroy the 2v's would make more power than the 3v.

Ford knows what to do and they put a 4v in the GT and in the shelby.

Guest 408turbostang
ok but not to argue but to get a fact out friction equals more heat and power loss not much but it is still robing power along with the weight of the extra cam on each head and the 3v is still sohc me personaly not to big in the modular stuff i like pushrod motors just trying to state a fact

oh and there was no 4v gt

So young.

Ford makes this car called a GT it has a 5.4 32v mod motor with a whipple blower on it. It sells for 150K, and it didn't get those ultra efficient 3v heads?????

Hrmm maybe you should send Ford a letter telling them their engineers messed up.

ok but not to argue but to get a fact out friction equals more heat and power loss not much but it is still robing power along with the weight of the extra cam on each head and the 3v is still sohc me personaly not to big in the modular stuff i like pushrod motors just trying to state a fact

The blower adds friction, and therefore robs power too, so pulling it off would make more power.

Weight of the cam? Seriously?

Yes, you are right. The 2v and 3v can make a lot of power also.

I agree. There are 2v's running 8's, and the 3v's will be doing so soon, but you cannot deny what people like mihovets has done running low 7's at 200 mph with a 4.6 32v motor.

I don't think anyone is pissed, I just think that you got your facts a bit backwards. In theory, yes, friction will rob power. However, in some instances adding specific components to an engine (in this case an additional cam on each head) will allow an engine to make more power than it takes to operate the added devices.

The weight of a cam is negligible.

on the cam discussion, The majority of the weight of a modular cam is in the lobes. The 3v car has more lobes per cam than a 2v car so your theory of additional drag does not work on the premise becasuse no one would disagree that the 3v cars make more power than the 2v cars.

I was stating earlier that the majority of the drag from the cams (95%) is from compressing the valve not the rotational mass of the cam or the friction/drag created by contact with the journals. Again if the drag of the cam was robbing that much power the 2v modular cars again would make the most power.

Fact remains you can move more air through a 4v modular head than a 3v. The additional drag of 8 more springs to compress and rockers to rotate is by far off set by the additional air they allow into the motor both na and boosted.

Ford put the 3v into production for many reasons. The sohc design is much cheaper to produce with less moving parts and is easier to service with only one cam to line up per head. It gave them what they needed to give the mustang GT the additional power it needed with the increased weight of the newer car with out common placing the 4V motor. The heavier car requires more torque which is what you get from the 3v head design but is a hp restriction up top. This is not an issue in the 07 cobra because the thing sports a PD blower, and uses a 5.4 which has the exact same bore as a 4.6 but has a longer stroke and taller deck height. Longer storke motors tend to make more torque which also assists in moving the heavier chassis.

I agree that the 3v motor is a major step up from what there was before but it is not the top of the ford food chain for current production motors. That would be the aluminum block 5.4 from the GT as well as the heads from the GT. The new 07 shelby/cobra will have a very similar set up with an Iron block for cost reasons.

So Powers,

You want to advance timing on tip in to increase EGT, which would spool up the turbo quicker? So, would you also want to be a little leaner on tip in and then at some percentage of full boost go to the AFR you want to see across the board at full boost? Or would you just try to keep at constant AFR once you get into boost and completely take care of that in timing?

I'm asking, I don't know very much about tuning timing.

So Powers,

You want to advance timing on tip in to increase EGT, which would spool up the turbo quicker? So, would you also want to be a little leaner on tip in and then at some percentage of full boost go to the AFR you want to see across the board at full boost? Or would you just try to keep at constant AFR once you get into boost and completely take care of that in timing?

I'm asking, I don't know very much about tuning timing.

Because you're dumb :p