Helping a friend find a new car...suggestions please.

Bam

We're helping a mutual friend find a new car for herself since her saturn is a piece of junk. She does have a daughter as well so 4 doors are a must. She wants to spend no more than $8kish. Auto/manual doesn't matter, she wants decent gas mileage but also a sporty car. She likes the 2002+ impreza's but they are still a bit too pricey.

Just throw out some suggestions as to what you guys would look at based on price, mileage, and reliability.

She is looking to purchase ASAP as her car won't stop nickel and diming her to death.

my friend's got a '98 Nissan Maxima SE. 4-door, grey ext/black leather int, 5-spd, clean title, 6-cyl engine, fast/sporty, Bose premium sound system (AM/FM/Tape/CD), heated seats, gets great gas mileage, and its comfortable on long drives (Hartford, CT - Toronto - Detroit (woodward cruise!) - C-bus - Hartford CT in a week) with about 102k miles. One of those would run you $6-6.5k from a private seller, probably $8k from a dealership. Its an amazing car, and I suggest looking into one if you can find one around here.

EDIT: have a looksie

I'd tell her to get a GTP but I just blew mine up this week and so she didn't like that.

Maxima's we've checked but she's not sure about the miles. Corrolas and civic are high on her list. 4dr GSR's are VERY hard to find.

Thanks guys