stupid car question.

Dweezel

[edit] I'm going to personally strangle the next halfwit that takes this thread seriously. [/edit]

Just looking at stupid shit today, I have a question...

How come when GM does it, it sells for 20k and is called a Fiero?

060605a2.jpg

and when Honda does it, it sells for 100k and is called an NSX?

2001_Acura_NSX.jpg

Just curious.

The Fiero was a great car (my mom had one and subsequently wrecked it through a fence) - but I think it got a shitty rep because of the quality problems GM had in the 80's, and I think I remember reading stuff about it with regards to how GM constructed it. Basically it was a 'mutt' from a bunch of other GM car parts bins, which made it cheap to construct, but lacking any synergy from parts that you'd get with a dedicated design effort.

Care to trade the Busa for a Buell ? :)

Not really, but then again Buell doesn't make a 4cylinder 170hp 500lb motorcycle does it? :wink: I have for some Un-Holy reason been eying the Buell 1125R though. I'd go look at one but I'm sure I'd burst into flames if I ever stepped foot on property owned by "The Motor Company"

Let me dig up some specs, their really not that far off from each other as one would believe.

The Fiero was a great car (my mom had one and subsequently wrecked it through a fence) - but I think it got a shitty rep because of the quality problems GM had in the 80's, and I think I remember reading stuff about it with regards to how GM constructed it. Basically it was a 'mutt' from a bunch of other GM car parts bins, which made it cheap to construct, but lacking any synergy from parts that you'd get with a dedicated design effort.

:lol: the entire rear suspension and drive line was stolen from the Citation bin. Unfortunately so was the front :D

While I will won't say that all our American cars are crap, I will say that IMHO the Fiero was a deathtrap and unreliable, where the NSX is not. That's not to say that the NSX isn't overpriced. But I'm not sure these were the best two examples to pit against one another to compare domestic to Japanese engineering and development.

While I will won't say that all our American cars are crap, I will say that IMHO the Fiero was a deathtrap and unreliable, where the NSX is not. That's not to say that the NSX isn't overpriced. But I'm not sure these were the best two examples to pit against one another to compare domestic to Japanese engineering and development.

No it was actually supposed to be a joke of sorts, but they do look ridiculously similar. and for all intents and purposes are built the exact same way. 6cylinder mid engine car, manual trans-axel, 4wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel disk brakes, Radiator is in the front of the car, both use modified MacPherson struts on all 4 corners. There's a stupid amount of similarities between the two if you actually sit down and look at it.

they are insanely close

fiero's get cut up like crazy for kit cars...so they are getting rarer and subsequently more expensive...

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks__?_mak=Replica+%26+Kit+Makes&_flso=0&_fspt=0&_sadis=-1&_lsbx=2&_sop=7&_fpos=44047&_m2home=1

look at all of them

fiero has the 2nd largest number of kits available, after VW beetle

I'd actually like to pick up a Fiero and drop a hopped up 3.8 from a GTP in it :D

A guy at work here has one. Supercharged 3.8L - I've never seen it, but other coworkers have verified it's existence. I thought I heard it ran high 13's, low 14s in the 1/4. Not too shabby, but you might be better off with an SRT4, Cobalt SS, or even a Solstice/Sky with a 5.7L swap (ala Mallett).

The coolest swap I've ever seen was a GN powertrain into an Opel GT. But, I'm partial.

No it was actually supposed to be a joke of sorts, but they do look ridiculously similar. and for all intents and purposes are built the exact same way. 6cylinder mid engine car, manual trans-axel, 4wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel disk brakes, Radiator is in the front of the car, both use modified MacPherson struts on all 4 corners. There's a stupid amount of similarities between the two if you actually sit down and look at it.

It is almost kinda creepy the similarities, but I have been in both, and I remember thinking in the Fiero, "Holy hell just let me survive the trip!" and in the NSX, "Holy shit this is nice". But I also have to recognize the pilots of each vehicle, as the Fiero was a buddy from H.S. and the NSX belonged to a pilot in one of the squadrons I was attached to.

And if you're going to drop a new powerplant in the the GM, why not go the full monty and drop the new 'vette engine in it! :D Talk about a sleeper!

If you go to the gap go to wheelers shop at the bottom. He loves those fiero's and pimped one out compleatly. Its said to be real fast and its loud as hell!
Yeah I talked him into running that thing when I was down there one time it's pretty sick.

yeah and the lotus weighs 1000 pounds less than the NSX too.

That's what the problem was with the NSX. Honda decided to badge the car an Acura because they thought no one would spend 90k on a Honda. True enough. But, Acura buyers would never buy a bare bones sports car. The NSX is the result of to many compromises.

But, to be fair, at the time the only thing like it was the Ferrari 328 GTB then later the 348 TS. The first sporting 270HP the latter 300HP but both costing significantly more and not preforming any better.

The NSX prompted Ferrari to build the F335, which was all around a better car, but again pricier. From the F335 Ferrari goes on to build some of the best mid engined cars ever (360 Modena and F430). So in a way you can thank the NSX for lighting the fire under Ferrari's ass.

The thing Honda did wrong with the NSX was not developing it. They did minor face lifts in its later years but nothing extensive. Of course a decade after its release (91 to 02 I think) it would seem to be a relitave slug.