Small Displacement Turbo

93berettagt

My friend has an ecotec 2.2 in his car and he wants to turbo it. I know nothing about turbos, and he knows nothing about cars. I was just wondering if any of you knew of any good sites or books that are about turbos or just your opinoin on what turbo he should get. BTW, he doesn't want anything outrageous, he just wants one of those cheap $300 or so turbos of ebay or somewhere else. Any help is appreciated.

yes all the other stuff that most people don't add up untill mid build and go :eek2:

How much Hp gain is he wanting? I am not a gm ecotec guy so what tuning optiond does he have avail.

Why is he scared of n2o? I turbo can eat a motor just as fast if not faster, Lean is bad does not matter a great bit how it got that way.

He doesn't want much HP and I haven't even began to look into the tuning. I'm not even going to bother about it either, I was just going to help him pick a turbo out then point him in the direction to the nearest shop to have them install and tune it. Like I said, he doesn't know anything about cars so he doesn't realize how nitrous really works.

You really don't wanna go the cheap route. If he's gonna do it, do it right. For the most part, you're going to get what you pay for. I've seen tons of people get cheap kits only to have the manifold end up cracking, shit not fit right, and I've even heard of turbo's cracking into two pieces.

Some turbo's that you should consider are the T25, GT28R, or the GT32. What are his power goals? Budget? Is he going to be upgrading any internal engine components?

If you're looking for a shop to help you pick out parts, complete the install, and tune, I highly recommend you check out www.slowmotionmotorsports.com.

heres a saying ive heard and always stuck by.

cheap, reliable, powerful. choose TWO. there is absolutely no way you, him, or anyone else will be able to turbo his car for 300$, especially since you say "I know nothing about turbos, and he knows nothing about cars".

if he's looking for some quick cheap power, get him a zex, nitrous express, etc nitrous kit with a 50-60 shot, im sure he'll be happy with that. a turbo set up on the cheap end is going to run him 2-3gs, and thats assuming he knows how to do most of the work, which again, seems like not.

It sounds like he wants a turbo cuz everyone else has got one, and for no other reason. If thats the case tell him to buy a complete kit, probably like 3-4 grand and it'll be straight bolt on. Just because you can buy a $300 turbo online doesn't mean it'll bolt directly on to your car and do anything. You need all the other required parts, and if neither of you guys know anything about anything,buy a kit, you might even end up saving money.

I realize that there is more than just a turbo that needs to be bought to do this. Bam614 is right in saying that he wants one just to say he has one. He can't do shit to his car by himself so the turbo work will be done by a shop. He just wants me to help him pick the turbo itself and then have a shop do all the other stuff. I don't think they make kits for his car, I know they do for like cavaliers with the ecotecs but he has a saturn L200, and the piping would be different. I'll even get him on here so you guys can tell him that a nitrous kit would be a better bang for the buck, but like I said I think it's more of a image thing than a power thing. Also, thanks for the help

On a 2.2L an EVOIII 16G would offer a quick spool and a broad powerband. Nut everyone else is right, there's a lot mroe to it then just the turbo. Wheel2Wheel powertrain sells a cast exhaust manifold for ~$500, that's a start.

ya they have this one big ass manual on how to tune your ecotec up I have it saved on my computer. I really just wanted some other opinions on the matter seeing as I don't know enough myself to read a book and go from that. I don't think that he will go as far as a super fake turbo sounding muffler insert, but I don't think he want's to get into changing the internals of his engine so like 6-9 PSI? and don't think I'm just ignoring everybodies recommendation of the nitrous I'll be sure to tell him about it.

The one i have is a lot more involved but i can't find the link, I have it saved on my computer, but no way to post it. Thanks for the link though I'll be sure to look over it.

*Edit I found the link to the one I have saved, it's suppossed to be for all gm sport compacts. Here goes the link. http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/downloads/gm_sport_compact_performance_build_book.pdf Again, thanks for the help.

I agree with you 10x, but this is the first car he's driven by himself and no one else with a fast car has given him a ride, so to him it's the fastest car on the street, and I have no way to show him otherwise. I've tried telling him but you know how that goes.

Ok Ive been dealing with cavaliers for about 12 years now and have built some nice ones too, there is absolutly no way your going to boost a cav for 300 period. go to Jbody.org that is a cavalier/sunfire community.

there are many other things you'll have to do than just throwing one in there you have fuel issues, computor issues drive line reliability, and motor conditions to worry about.

The cheapest I've found kits for was 1500 and that was just the basics turbo, manifold and oil lines and thats not including the BOV intercooler FPR injectors or intercooler lines, that kit is 3500.

Tell your friend to get a header exhaust and intake and learn about cars before he goes and buys a turbo kit and kills someone