Gli

Guest xGLIx

My cousin had one, its was a little earlier model... Coilpacks went out, one after another and the dealer couldn't fix all of them at once because VAG said to only fix them once they were damaged. Other than that they are fun little cars, small but cool sounding turbo! Learned to drive stick on one, it was fun! I'd probably get the 2.0T though, definately feels different than the 1.8 in a good way!

ok ready for my VW rant.

WEAK Tranny's

Coil packs

Underpowered

Expensive to mod ( A tune is 360$ opposed toa GTP being 100$)

Riceresc ( Not all but thend to be I know when i TEST drove a 1.8tGTi i felt out of place)

MQ350 Tranny ( 6speed) Sucks Along with there sloshy 5speed

ECU is too restrictive ( MBC wont get you that much)

Built In Mexico

Horrible Warrnety Service, Don't put a Boost controller on they will void ALL warrnty

not to add they blamed coilpacks on all kinds of shit before they did the recall

But if you still into small little cars then cool. But if your really wnating German enginner 325i BMW 15G 2001

Or if you looking for FAST

98 GTP 5200 ( will spank a GLI)

Personaly i just don't care for VW any more I respect those who have them and mod them but just lost respect for um

after further resereach i see that the GLI comes in vr6 / 1.8t If you are going to mod it even after my warnings go with a 02 1.8t that will have same shit is a 03/04/05 but warrnty already gone so who cares if you gonna drop a CHIP / Exhaust / MBC in and make it run mid-low 14's

02 is a AWP 1.8t 180hp

01 is a 150hp

as for the VR6 unless your going to supercharger it forget it imho

ok ready for my VW rant.

WEAK Tranny's

Coil packs

Underpowered

Expensive to mod ( A tune is 360$ opposed toa GTP being 100$)

Riceresc ( Not all but thend to be I know when i TEST drove a 1.8tGTi i felt out of place)

MQ350 Tranny ( 6speed) Sucks Along with there sloshy 5speed

ECU is too restrictive ( MBC wont get you that much)

Built In Mexico

Horrible Warrnety Service, Don't put a Boost controller on they will void ALL warrnty

not to add they blamed coilpacks on all kinds of shit before they did the recall

But if you still into small little cars then cool. But if your really wnating German enginner 325i BMW 15G 2001

Or if you looking for FAST

98 GTP 5200 ( will spank a GLI)

Personaly i just don't care for VW any more I respect those who have them and mod them but just lost respect for um

Is this because you got walked by me?

I heart you.

I like my 1.8t you can pump 360 whp out of the stock block befor you start doing internals we'll say 30 psi is the max befor you start tearin it down.

These cars arent cheap to work on or buy parts for , He''s right a chip reflash is anywhere from 300 to 500 bucks but you get a hell of alot of power from that about 30 hp and 40 tq, However after that you will want a bigger turbo bigger FMIC and you'll be spending

large amounts of cash to do this like i said they aint cheap.

So its all good for a lil while but in the end you will want to go bigger and faster. that = Money.

Most of the issues with the coil packs were resolved by the time the gli with the 1.8T came out as the "new" parts everyone was getting replaced were stock equipment by then. I also don't know how you expect your warranty to be covered when you modify your car from original spec and something breaks. I agree the two things may not be related, but what would you do if the situation was reversed and you had someone show up for warranty service because their car was broken and they had a bunch of modifications? First blame for all the issues will go to the modifications, based on the "whats changed that could cause these problems?" troubleshooting methodology.

Now on to my suggestion, if you're looking for something to modify and be "fast" in you might as well pick a new car unless you're ready to spend some serious money and still only be sorta quick. If you're still stuck on the vw get the vr6, you will be a lot more happy in the long run and imho more reliable although it won't look as slick as the gli.

Bump for that, I mean they run fine stock. But if you modify any vehicle you void the warranty, So if ur skerd just goto church,lol

JK

But if you wanna buy a new car and mod it you take the stab if anything goes wrong. If you have enough money to mod something you should have enough to fix it when it breaks.

The 1.8t stock is a descent motor but if you no gonna mod it get a Vr6 you will be happier. If you gonna mod it get a OLDER 02 1.8t Jetta base model

Get suspension / tune / CAI / exhaust

run low 14's and handle like a dream

pm compudaze on the board he did it

a GTI in's the 12's anit that bad.. 11's can be done with t3/t4 hybrid turbo / New front mount intocooler / Custom ass tune / Bigger fuel ( I nots ure how) and one hell of a good drive.

BillyT did it.

WRX is easly into 12's