Mammoth cave park?

Science Abuse

Guest mithesaint
Was through the cave a few years ago. Nice place. Didn't hike though. Stop in Bowling green while you're in the area though. Bring me back a Z06, k?

I've been to the caves several times and there is alot of other parks and things to do in the area for tourist. The cave tours range from 1 to 2 hour trips to the main entrance and back which is mostly just a quick history for people that can't do the longer tours. All the way up to extreme caving involving crawling through very tight holes and camping out in the caves. I'm sure theres a website about all of it, but they have basically everything you'd want in a cave. Especially since it covers over 350 square miles.

Evan

Let me try to remember/find the place I went to down in Kentucky in college. It was way cooler than when I went to Mammoth. Granted I was young when we went to Mammoth, and we only did the tour. The other place I went to down in Kentucky, at the time, was almost completely open. You can just crawl around anywhere you want, and most of it is crawling. Fun stuff.

If you want to do some spelunking, I'm down for a weekend trip, unless it was something you just wanted to do with Elana. Fuck tours though, if I'm going to get lost and die in a cave, it's going to be of my own accord.

I went there with people from my school and people from the Wittenberg U. Speleological Society. People from Wittenberg had helped to map some of the cave, so there might be something on there site, but I actually have to do some work now, so I can't dig around there too much. http://www4.wittenberg.edu/student_organizations/wuss/

Actualy its somethin that popped up at work. I'd been talking to our Engineer and he mentioned wanting to do an overnighter next weekend, and asked if I'd be down. So, being guys, we commited to a schedule and are now scrabling about to actualy schedule it. :p

We're more looking for a topside hike, but today he realized he has access to Kayaks and there are 20 mi of river in the park (+XXXmi of tributaries). He's like 40, and the other potential party member is older, so I'm not sure I'd convince them to be doing any caving this time 'round. ;)

Sissies

We are going to go caving as a weekend trip somewhere this year. It’s probably a wee bit too cold to do it right now. That’s a summer trip.

Holly fuck I just thought of an awesome place to repel and climb at that place down in Kentucky. It's about 150ft. tall keyhole.

Sissies

We are going to go caving as a weekend trip somewhere this year. It’s probably a wee bit too cold to do it right now. That’s a summer trip.

Holly fuck I just thought of an awesome place to repel and climb at that place down in Kentucky. It's about 150ft. tall keyhole.

Count me in bitches. We also need to plan a weekend trip to the Cinci subway tunnels.

Sissies

Count me in bitches. We also need to plan a weekend trip to the Cinci subway tunnels.

In in in. Keep me updated!

sissy :p Also, the temp in a cave is constant. It's always 60 and dark. ;)

I'm not worried about the temperature of the cave itself. I'm worried about the temperature of the water you have to crawl through while going through the caves/getting into the caves. Or in this case ice, which would mean you wouldn't be able to get into most of them because of clearance issues.

P.S. I'm going climbing in Dayton tomorrow with a friend that lives there, at an indoor places he's been wanting to go to. We (everyone who’s planning on going on these trips) need to try to get to that place up near The Continent (or somewhere else if anyone knows anywhere else) at least once a month until this summer so we can practice climbing. And that place we practice repelling that we aren't allowed to go to.

I'm not worried about the temperature of the cave itself. I'm worried about the temperature of the water you have to crawl through while going through the caves/getting into the caves. Or in this case ice, which would mean you wouldn't be able to get into most of them because of clearance issues.

Wanna borrow my axes and crampons? :D

I had a balst last time I went to vertical adventures on Busch, I deffinately want to make more regular trips of it. I gotta take the belay test, then I could work the ropes for ya fellas. Ther'ye kinda strict about that, I hear.

Jesse, I'd be hip to going once a month with you to practice. Been years since I've done this kind of stuff, I'm sure I'm dangerously rusty. Maybe we start getting a group together?