Anybody running E85 in a high performance application???

CJINOHIO03

ALready been done on several WRXs ... basically you need to put more fuel in, having to upgrade injectors and FPs for it ...

cool shit, but i read without all the govt funding, e85 is $6 a gallon?/? is this correct?

nope here in town try .20 cents cheaper than 87 oct. In minn and Wisc. during the summer when gas was 3.00 there E85 was 1.79-1.89 a gallon......

Joe, I don't mean to debate you, but every report I have seen on E85 comes across as 100 octane rating. NDE and GM white papers cite it so.

DJ,

Only downside is, Ethanol by nature requires a lower stoich point, nearly half of gasoline. You would consume close to twice as much mile per mile, with petrol.

http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php

At the botom of the page, "105 octane"......

i mean, without all the govt subsidies, the price of e85 would go up ... just wondering. maybe i should do a search ... but i wont cause im lazy right now ;)

That's definitely true, but it’s being produced in relatively small amounts, and has a relatively small demand compared to regular petrol. This is also why the government can subside it and that won’t affect the taxes that much. Imagine if it had the same demand and production as petrol, the cost would definitely go down. I obviously can’t say for sure, but I would assume enough so that even if they taxed it as much as they do regular gas, it would be competitive price wise.

Imagine wars in a foreign country, or a tanker flipping over in the ocean, or pipeline being destroyed by a hurricane having much less effect on the cost of a gallon of gas (whatever this may be in the future). Part of the key to our future economic stability and continuing heavy geopolitical abilities highly involves less dependence on foreign sources of energy.

Oil will ‘run out’ some day. I’d rather use the world reserves on the manufacturing processes that need it, in much smaller amounts, than in my car, if there were a viable substitute. It looks like we have a temporary patch to reduce the hemorrhaging until much more efficient means of energy consumption can be made viable.

They are citing only RON ratings.

R+M/2 = 100 Octane

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/fueltable.pdf

Thank god someone posted the R+M/2 octane of it. I couldn't find it anywhere the other day. Just claims of anywhere from 100 to 115, not saying the method, but I know I read somewhere on the e85fuel.com website it said they were talking about RON.

I’ll also assume this is when mixed 85/15. What about the 70/30 ‘winter blend, I’m sure this is lower. What is the RON or MON of straight ethyl alcohol? I’m assuming the other 15 or 30 they mix it with is 87 (R+M/2)?

Fords are labeled as "FFV" ( flex fuel vehicle), and have a little picture of a leaf and a road on the side of the car. Aside from that, your owners manual should tell you, and aside form that, you can have your dealer check the VIN.

Chances are if you aren't sure, you don't have one. :)