Reason #10448 Why Macs > *

ohio_wookie

well, ive done it. I have finally proven that the macintosh is better than any pc out there.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/ohio_wookie/DCP_0632.jpg

and you cant prove me wrong unless you (not your friend or anyone you saw on the internet) can triboot your computer with xp, linux, and os x with each os running at full speed and potential.

also if you didnt know, that is windows xp pro running on a macbook pro, with absolutly no emulation. it is running faster on my laptop than it does on most of your computers. and thus crowns the macintosh victorious in the pc vs mac battle. again, this is just my opinion. but than again, your opinion is wrong ;)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the drivers will be up and running by the end of this week. there is another contest going on right now for whoever can get the first video drivers. so there is a lot of people working on it. its not like its a situation where there wont drivers.

so like....does anyone else just not give a shit?

the really funny thing is that months ago, we got OSX running on PC assloads faster than it ever ran on any Mac desktop. I ran Tripleboot XP, Ubuntu Linux, and OSX.

well, ive done it. I have finally proven that the macintosh is better than any pc out there.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/ohio_wookie/DCP_0632.jpg

and you cant prove me wrong unless you (not your friend or anyone you saw on the internet) can triboot your computer with xp, linux, and os x with each os running at full speed and potential.

also if you didnt know, that is windows xp pro running on a macbook pro, with absolutly no emulation. it is running faster on my laptop than it does on most of your computers. and thus crowns the macintosh victorious in the pc vs mac battle. again, this is just my opinion. but than again, your opinion is wrong ;)

Grub or Partition Magic? I really don't see the validity in claiming a platform is superior when you're able to find drivers?

I always thought what made Macintosh's so great was the OS, not the hardware.

BSD, Linux, Windows (multiple versions). Been there. Done that.

Of course, can the Mac have all those operating systems running simultaneously...a la VMWare?

Uhoh...think I found another thing a PC does better than a Mac.

the drivers will be up and running by the end of this week. there is another contest going on right now for whoever can get the first video drivers. so there is a lot of people working on it. its not like its a situation where there wont drivers.

Yeah..they'll just be unstable drivers that are slow. This is what happens when you 'rush to be first' with a piece of software.

Yeah..they'll just be unstable drivers that are slow. This is what happens when you 'rush to be first' with a piece of software.

and you are wrong! http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

also the difference between running xp on a mac and os x on a pc is, the dev version of os x that everyone was using was an unstable partial os that couldn't be upgraded and could only be used to say you could do it. on the other hand on the xp on mac side, its a full legit copy of xp that you can run, its supported by apple, with official apple drivers, and you can use xp to its full extent. and if you look up the mac xp benchmarks, xp is proving itself faster (in some cases) running on a mac.

I'm still confused by this

More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

If more and more people love macs, WHY do they want to run the (inferior) Windows XP? I don't understand this.

Everyone in MacWorld supposedly hates Windows XP, yet now, all they can talk about is how they can finally run it on their Mac.

Everyone in MacWorld hated the 'evil Intel', yet everyone now seems to be ecstatic about OSX running on it.

Sounds like it was a case of sour graps for years and years.

Face it, with the release of intel-based Macintosh's, Apple has now become just another whitebox vendor - a Dell, former-IBM, or Gateway.

I'm still confused by this

If more and more people love macs, WHY do they want to run the (inferior) Windows XP? I don't understand this.

Everyone in MacWorld supposedly hates Windows XP, yet now, all they can talk about is how they can finally run it on their Mac.

Everyone in MacWorld hated the 'evil Intel', yet everyone now seems to be ecstatic about OSX running on it.

Sounds like it was a case of sour graps for years and years.

Face it, with the release of intel-based Macintosh's, Apple has now become just another whitebox vendor - a Dell, former-IBM, or Gateway.

The reason that this is causing such hype, is even though OS X is the better os, there is still a huge developer base on Windows. The reason that this has happened is the fact that most developers use the x86 arch. Now that mac has switched to the x86 there will be a lot more developers making their stuff for both systems. Also for the most part, there are still (at least currently) a bunch of software that some people have a use for that is only made on XP. But the whole reason this is exciting is the fact that more developers will be more willing to try out mac now, and it will help for a smother transistion for those who swtich. and as far as a mac being the same as a dell, ibm, or gateway i dont think so. because even though you can run xp on a mac, you cant run (a full functional version) OS X on a PC. Also there are still alot of hardware differences between the intel macs and pcs. just like the way that a camaro and a mustang are similar, they both have an engine, frame, and wheels and thats where the similarities stop. and as far as the pc vs mac hardware is concerned, its all opinion just like camaro vs mustang.

I hope I haven't pissed anyone off to badly during this debate. I do believe that in the end it will always be up to opinion.

Also a fun fact. at one point in time when Microsoft was actually stealing all their stuff from Apple, Bill Gates was quoted saying "I don't care if theirs is better, I want it!" Well, not exact words, but the point is there.

The reason that this is causing such hype, is even though OS X is the better os, there is still a huge developer base on Windows. The reason that this has happened is the fact that most developers use the x86 arch. Now that mac has switched to the x86 there will be a lot more developers making their stuff for both systems. Also for the most part, there are still (at least currently) a bunch of software that some people have a use for that is only made on XP. But the whole reason this is exciting is the fact that more developers will be more willing to try out mac now, and it will help for a smother transistion for those who swtich. and as far as a mac being the same as a dell, ibm, or gateway i dont think so. because even though you can run xp on a mac, you cant run (a full functional version) OS X on a PC. Also there are still alot of hardware differences between the intel macs and pcs. just like the way that a camaro and a mustang are similar, they both have an engine, frame, and wheels and thats where the similarities stop. and as far as the pc vs mac hardware is concerned, its all opinion just like camaro vs mustang.

I hope I haven't pissed anyone off to badly during this debate. I do believe that in the end it will always be up to opinion.

Also a fun fact. at one point in time when Microsoft was actually stealing all their stuff from Apple, Bill Gates was quoted saying "I don't care if theirs is better, I want it!" Well, not exact words, but the point is there.

Ohio wookie, Linux has run on x86 for years, also, but suffers, to some extent the same problems.

Developers don't code for one computer architecture or another - bare metal programming is a lost art and most programmers simply don't do it anymore - primarily because it is not necessary - even game programmers who usually have to be more in touch with the underlying hardware than most. We write to APIs provided by the OSs, and all OSs have their own proprietary APIs which are incompatible. A program written for the x86 Mac won't run on Windows XP (and vice-versa) because it is incompatible at an API/OS level, even if the code is binary compatible for the chip. Hence the need for emulation layers, which have proven to be slow and buggy. Most houses have enough trouble supporting their software on the native OS (whatever that may be), let alone it operating through an emu-layer.

ANSI C, which is supposed to be cross-platform compatible doesn't always compile nicely from OS to OS, even if they are on the same underlying architecture.

Even Java suffers from this at times, and it is about as cross-platform as you can currently get.

Having the Mac on x86 has done nothing, in my opinion, but make the Mac another 'white-box'. It should have the benefit of reducing costs and putting them in reach of more people, but, if you use Windows at work, as 90% of the world does, it doesn't make sense to Joe User to buy an incompatible computer to use at home. Remember, very few users view a computer as anything other than a tool to do work an send e-mail/browse the web. They don't have the time, nor desire, to sit down and learn a new OS, no matter how cool it is; especially one that requires they discard their programs and buy (or pirate) new ones. Sure you can dual boot, but they don't want to do that - they want it now.

We are different in that we get excited about new computers and such, but most people don't, just like most people don't get excited about working on their cars like many of us do.

My .02. I do think it is good that maybe someone will challenge MS because, frankly, they've gotten really sloppy with their design in the last few years. Not from a bug/security standpoint, but from a features (everything + the house and neighborhood mindset), and from a usability standpoint.

lmao mac fanboys make me laugh

oh and ohio whatsyourface, we can upgrade our OSX now too, and its extremely stable....

well, i will admit that i thought wrong. i knew that it used to be that way when they were first screwing with it.

and if i were a fanboy, wouldnt i like windows better? seeing as fanboys generally like stuff just because its cool and they want to be with the majority. and seeing as mac users are the minority in this situation, and apparently not very popular, wouldnt that make me the one who could form my own opinion. seriously, i get shit everyday from my professors and classmates from being in a software development field and using mac.

from the urban dictionary

Fanboy

2. A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

hmmmm, could this fit in this case?

well, i will admit that i thought wrong. i knew that it used to be that way when they were first screwing with it.

and if i were a fanboy, wouldnt i like windows better? seeing as fanboys generally like stuff just because its cool and they want to be with the majority. and seeing as mac users are the minority in this situation, and apparently not very popular, wouldnt that make me the one who could form my own opinion. seriously, i get shit everyday from my professors and classmates from being in a software development field and using mac.

from the urban dictionary

Fanboy

2. A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

hmmmm, could this fit in this case?

You sure skipped a lot of definitions:

Fanboy :nutkick: :D

0MG STFU J00 N00B, W1ND0wS IS TEH SUCK, MAC IS ROXORS!!!111!!1!11!!

No, but seriously, I am going to say this for the third of fourth time in this thread. It truely is up to opinion. If Windows works for you all, and you get by just fine on it, great! But as for me, I chose OS X ( and the Mac hardware ) and I am happy with it. Just sharing my opinion is all.

and everyone else wasn't sharing their opinion? you jumped up on the biggest soap box you could find right off the bat and now you're toning it down. Maybe people wouldn't jump you shit if you didn't have such a big pile when you started this thread

I did find a good purpose for a MAC... I got one of those flower pot iMac's that we were going to throw away... 17 inch widescreen with a DVD player and surround speakers... sounds like a great afterhours toy if I want to watch a movie while working late :D

Guest compudaze

Macs are cool man. OSX is based on FreeBSD man. Man, *NIX owns all man. Mac is god man.

Man, fear what I have man. My windows machine man,

runs..

ready???

KERNEL32.DLL BITCHES!!!!

now go away.

I'm sorry for my stupid post, but reading this thread just made me a whole lot dumber.

Macs are cool man. OSX is based on FreeBSD man. Man, *NIX owns all man. Mac is god man.

Man, fear what I have man. My windows machine man,

runs..

ready???

KERNEL32.DLL BITCHES!!!!

now go away.

I'm sorry for my stupid post, but reading this thread just made me a whole lot dumber.

You didn't need that last sentence. I inferred the damage from your first few...uhhh...sentences.