135MPH NHRA Rule

Mike C

For those that don't know, the NHRA changed their rules to now mandate a full 10 point cage, window net, firesuit/gloves/collar ETC at 135MPH. The old rule used to be at 9.99 or quicker but now it is 9.99 OR 135MPH.

I am just wondering what anyone's experience was at NTR this weekend, either in tech or after a pass, if they were on the cusp of the trap number? I don't know how many 135MPH "street" cars are going to want to have a full 10 point cage in their car :rolleyes:

Just another reason that I probably will never run my car at NTR anymore.

Where the fuck am I gonna put a window net?

Norwalk FTW.

This stipulation may only be in the "sport compact" rulebook and may not effect people like you. I'm really not sure though. I spoke with Jim Grashel about it and he did not think this rule applies to all models.

What will get weird is when do they actually "enforce" it? Will it only be an issue at a "sport compact" race or are they going to enforce it by specific model on a Friday night? How stupid :confused:

Guest Removed
the new rules also call for any car that has a NO2 system , must also have the fire jacket..GO to tech without the bottle in and just make make a pit stop in the pits and pop the bottle back in before you hit the staging lane's..

Guest Removed
This stipulation may only be in the "sport compact" rulebook and may not effect people like you. I'm really not sure though. I spoke with Jim Grashel about it and he did not think this rule applies to all models.

What will get weird is when do they actually "enforce" it? Will it only be an issue at a "sport compact" race or are they going to enforce it by specific model on a Friday night? How stupid :confused:

The NHRA will do it with every car! :(

the new rules also call for any car that has a NO2 system , must also have the fire jacket..GO to tech without the bottle in and just make make a pit stop in the pits and pop the bottle back in before you hit the staging lane's..

This rule is supposed to include all non OEM supercharged and turbocharged vechiles as well.

When I went through tech on Sunday, I told them that was running NX and he didn't ask me if I had a helmet or a firejacket.

I pulled this from another board, but don't have the actual rule book.

If the do enforce this rule, last sundays turnout would have probably been cut in half ;)

The NHRA 2006 Rule book now requires Fire Jackets for drivers of NON-OEM Blower, NON-OEM turbo, and NOS powered cars.

"10.00 and SLOWER; all E.T. non-OEM supercharged, non-OEM turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars with an OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory"

10.00 and slower cars without full OEM or .024 firewall: a 3.2A/5 jacket AND 3.3/1 gloves Mandatory.

other NOS, Turbo and Blower clothing requirements;

closed bodied cars 9.99 and faster with OEM or .024 steel firewall - 3.2A/5 jacket and panets, as well as 3.3/1 gloves

9.99 and faster closed bodied cars without OEM or .024 steel firewall - 3.2A/15 jacket and pants, gloves and shoes 3.3/5

This means that ANYONE who has a non-stock turbo by any means needs to have a firejacket in order to pass tech at the strip.

Guest Removed

very true, I'm sitting here reading the rulebook!

Over this past weekend , trails was not going to OVER tech the cars ...Opening day is way to bizzy for all that! flat out, they were bending rule's left and right over the weekend! Steve made 2 sub 13.99 pass's in the monte with no helmet, and really, his car should not even have passed tech...No driveshaft loop(he has cheater slicks on it), rear mounted battery with no fire wall! and way more then 6" of rubber hose over factory spec!

and no neutrel safety switch at all :eek:

yeah, they want to get all the money that they can.

and to think I rushed to get my loop installed on Saturday. haha :)

there were more people that came out this year than last year opening day.

hopefully next weekend will be better

I do this everytime at Trails.....FTW

Looks good man, A birdy told me, there is a but load load of spray on it..

what did you run?

Thanks, its setup for a 100 shot.

In "street trim" (on the 20's with tonneau + tail) I ran 14.9

on the Et street + some other tricks I ran 14.5

I didn't get to make a sprayed run due to a battery problem and the amount of people there.

either way, this are my best times at Trails (N/A)

I have ran 14.4 on stock 17's down at Rockingham, NC

or quit bitchen grow some balls and be safe out there. then when im there i dont have to worry about someone getting hurt when a axle breaks and they flip there car over. i hate waiting while they clean that shit up. lol. just my 2 cents. really though its good that they enforce these rulles. nobody and i mean nobody needs to die doing what they love. and there loved ones dont need that either. thats why im spending about 5,000 just to add some bars to a cage just to go 7.50s and slower. because of the rule change there. and i have to buy a complete new fire suit. yea it sucks but at least im safe doing what i love. my problem is tracks like marion where the tech is buy your way in and stage it. id like to know that the guy beside me ising going to break a drive shaft and not have a driveshaft loop and flip into my vehicle. hopefully im faster and dont have to worry about that but a 30.00 part could prevent that.

or quit bitchen grow some balls and be safe out there. then when im there i dont have to worry about someone getting hurt when a axle breaks and they flip there car over. i hate waiting while they clean that shit up. lol. just my 2 cents. really though its good that they enforce these rulles. nobody and i mean nobody needs to die doing what they love. and there loved ones dont need that either. thats why im spending about 5,000 just to add some bars to a cage just to go 7.50s and slower. because of the rule change there. and i have to buy a complete new fire suit. yea it sucks but at least im safe doing what i love. my problem is tracks like marion where the tech is buy your way in and stage it. id like to know that the guy beside me ising going to break a drive shaft and not have a driveshaft loop and flip into my vehicle. hopefully im faster and dont have to worry about that but a 30.00 part could prevent that.

agreed 100%