Need Opinions

Guest Hal

Lately I've been having reliability issues with my 330i. Nothing has been too big, just an alternator, some pullies, etc... Now once again I am having more problems. This time I have some electrical issues that I can't find, and both front lower control arms and bushings are bad. The money for all this is really starting to add up and I'm looking at trading it in, but, I haven't decided yet. I'm looking at an '03 cobra with about 10k miles on it right now. I would end up paying around $8k on it which isn't too bad. Now here's where I need your opinions, if you had an '02 330i paid off would you trade it in on a mustang that you'll owe $8k grand on? Also, from you '03-'04 cobra owners, how is the reliability? Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Kind of a long story, my grandma bought it for me. Yes I'll admit being spoiled before I get flamed too badly for it. My family recently lost a lot of money though so the spoilage has stopped, which I believe will be better for me in the long run.

That's what I can't decide, power or BMW. I think it's all going to come down to reliability.

Better for you in the long run. Lets face it, once you get out in the real world and have to struggle everyday just to survive you'll really re-think that statement. Theres nothing wrong with comeing from a wealthier family as long as you arent a douche about it. Make no excuses for your grandma buying you a car.

BMW are way pricey to get fixed.

the cobra ireally doesnt have alot of reliability issues if you jsut drive it, once you start modding anything though.. reliability starts to drop.

but there are alot of 500 rwhp cobras that are reliable and can be daily driven.

i really havent heard of anyone wiht an 03 cobra have any major problems... especially a stock one.

which will be gobs faster than your 330i

but paying on a car does suck, but for what youll probably end up throwing into the BMW would probably be your payment on the cobra.

but its all personal preference.

myself.. id get rid of the BMW and get the cobra.. but i wouldnt own a BMW in the first place. for the reason that thye can be unreliable and very costly to repair

Why not get something of equal value to your 330? I have no clue how much its worth, but I'm sure you can find something nice for a straight trade.

I could, but in trading a car that I absolutely love, I want to get a car that I will love just as much. Ever since I drove an '03 cobra I have wanted one. The $8k really isn't too bad as much as I work, I guess the money isn't too much of an issue when I think about it. I know insurance will raise, and I'll have the car payments; but I make plenty to cover all that. What I'm really worried about is reliability. That's the biggest thing making me even consider a trade. I can't afford to put tons of money into a car all the time even for small things. From everything I know, the '03-'04 cobras have great reliability, but I really need opinions from guys who own them, and hopefully from some guys who have somewhere around 500hp too.

Is the Cobra going to be your daily driver, even in the winter? If so, I'd reconsider. Personally, I'd never own a "nice" RWD sports/muscle car without having both a garage and a daily driver. But that's just me... :)

hal you know very well that you want a vr4... after all i told you... and oh yea my car is almost done... which means i might accidently accelerate fast next to you while you are accelerating fast... if you know what i mean... if u get a cobra i will be very jealous and i will have to mod my car more to keep up with you... and you will have to let me drive it... see you tommorow

matt

I didn't have a single issue with reliability in my 03 Cobra. Granted, it wasn't my daily driver (as I subscribe to the Wease school of car ownership; see above), so it didn't see "daily" wear. However, on the other hand, I drove the living piss out of it every weekend (e.g., dig to 140mph anyone?) for about eight months straight, and for four of those months I sprayed the shit out of the engine. Again, not a single reliability issue: no check engine lights, no squeaks, no leaks, nothing.

Hal: tough call man....if you weren't 18 it might be easier to tell you to keep the 330i.

side note: The control arms aren't as bad as you might be lead to believe. The bushings are cheap (<$100) and usually the only thing that needs replaced...the dealer will usually try to sell you the whole darn arm becuase it's a money maker for them. The lolli-pop bushings are cheap and easy to replace but you MAY require an allignment when they're done. I'm assuming your car is out of warranty so call Auto Assets and they should set you up in the event you decide to fix it. Other than that the 330 is a low maintenance motor...throw oil at it regularly and plugs every once in awhile and it should run forever. No timing belts or chains to replace, no valves to adjust, no nada...just drive it and do regular fluid changes. Heck sometimes I wish we still had our old 325ci...I really miss that car is it was the perfect daily driver....not really fast..but a great car.

Andy

I'd be torn on this too. I sold my BMW last year and miss many features of having one. My reason for selling was that I out grew the car. If you are looking for reliability and a daily driver I would say the BMW, however, it soulds like you have one that is problematic. The gas money differance alone for the Cobra would probably cover the cost of repairs on the BMW though. I like the Cobra's, but at 18, the BMW may be the car to stay with. My 2 cents.