How to get the stupid cover off an xbox

Buck531

I think theres six screws on the bottom. The real question is if you cant get the cover off should you really be doing anything to it on the inside?

I've been a PC tech since '95. I'm sure I could figure it out. :rolleyes:

6 allen head or torx secure head bolts. 2 are under labels.

Ya.. got all those off. Took the ROM out to find out it's a different setup for the power than the normal 4 wire.

I did some searching and found out that "your disk may be damaged or dirty" sign is saying just to get a new one. I just got one from Ebay for $28 bucks.

Wish I woulda found this thread earlier.. I mod xbox's in my spare time.. Know them inside and out..

You dont' have an extra xbox DVD rom lying around do ya? :).

The bastards on ebay said it would take 6-12 days to get it to me.

Guest HyperBurn
Ebay would've been your best bet, What kind of drive did you get?? The thompson drives don't read very well. If you get a samsung, those are the best.

Ebay would've been your best bet, What kind of drive did you get?? The thompson drives don't read very well. If you get a samsung, those are the best.

I need to fix my XBOX too, getting the same error. Should I get something like this? Will it work and is it hard to install? http://cgi.ebay.com/Laser-Len-Lens-4-MS-XBOX-Samsung-DVD-Rom-Drive-NEW_W0QQitemZ8281027695QQcategoryZ20385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Samsung drive I found was ~$70, while the Thomson ones are going between $20 and $30??

Guest HyperBurn
you can do it that way, but it's a pain in the ass. After you install that you will have to align the laser and that could take an upwards of 2 hours to do. You have to adjust, start a game, if it doesn't read, take it apart, adjust, etc.... Then after you get it to read, there's fine tuning it. You'd probrobly be better off just getting a drive.

A PC tech who doesn't now how to use google apparently.......

Lick

My

Taint.

I already got the new rom in and installed it. Suck it trebek, suck it long, suck it hard.

Apparently I'm that good. I got to keep my job yesterday and avoided getting riffed.