URGENT READ! clutch issues?

Berto

Well i'm having issues with the corolla.

on the way home what I thought the Clutch master cylinder went out completely.

I push the clutch in and I can't put it in gear unless i smash it in. I got home and looked at the slave cylinder, master cylinder, and I see no leaks, and the clutch fluid reservoir is full.

WTF is going on? time to scrap the corolla?

TIA

I had the same thing happen with the honda. I unscrewed the bleeder and stuck the air hose into the reservoir at low pressure. A bunch of black shit came out and then clean fluid. I wouldn't suggest this necessarily but I said what the fuck, its already broke. And tried it and to my amazement it worked.

I had the same thing happen to my 85 Z28. Have someone push in on the clutch pedal while you look at the rubber boot on the slave cylinder. My (replacement) slave is plastic with a metal sleeve inside that the piston slides in. The sleeve is retained by a nylon ring, the ring split and the fluid was bypassing the piston and filling the rubber bellows(boot) that seals the rod with fluid. You might have to pump the pedal a couple times to get it full enough to see it.

If this happens it is because of a loss of line pressure. Probably because

1) Your very low on fluid or a line broke/leaking (If you have a rubber section of hose in the system inspect it closely. They do fail eventually.

2) The master cylinder has failed

3) The slave cylinder has failed

4) Not likely, but the pedal's linkage could be messed up or needs adjusted

Pretty easy to fix the problem, but until then just start it in gear to take off and then match the engine flywheel and trans speeds to shift gears. Pretty easy once you try it a few times. I once had to complete a trail ride that way in my toyota. That was an experience.

Evan

well i changed the slave cylinder and it wasn't the problem

the master cylinder was a pain in the ass! Its impossible to take out, the space between the firewall and the strut tower is nothing. everything now works ok excpt for I have a leak somewhere i need to track down.

thanks again