Who Goes Camping?

Wease

I mean, out in the woods, going for a hike, in the middle of nowhere, and camping for the night in a tent? I've been thinking of doing it for a while now, but I haven't been camping since I was a kid. So I want to know who goes and where do you go. I also would want to bring my dogs with me, I have two very well behaved Yellow Labs. So wherever I go, it has to be safe for dogs and dog friendly. I really don't want to go anywhere that I'm going to see a lot of other people camping either. But I'd like to stay somewhat close to home (Delaware). So who can give me advice on this? :)

i do, i heart camping. last september the girlfriend and i went to the smoky mountains(Tenn.. 6-8hr drive), hiked around and on the AT for 3 days, got to the highest point of the park(clingmans dome) and spent another three days outside of the park. seeing NC and camping where we found was a blast...plus nothing like tent sex. This summer we are heading up to the Northern tip of the lower peninsula in MI(9hr drive) for sanddunes, island hopping, kyaking, and a couple of day hikes. Ive hiked& canoed in colorado, new mexico, utah West Virgina and all over ohio

And as far as dogs go, i wouldnt do it..hiking atleast. they make good side dishes for bears. camping with K9 companions in ohio is ok, but i would assume it would not be plesant unless you had a trailer. i cant immagine 2 dog and you in a tent to be a good time.

Looking to stay in ohio ther are several state parks. Some down by old mans cave off of 33 are great in the fall, and even summer. decent hiking for day trips. The islands on lake errie are awesome for the summe time(if its not to hot)

there is a park down 71s about an 45min off the the waynesville exit. camping next to a decent size body of water. and nice during the weekdays and even fridays. sundays the place fills up early with anyone who has a boat, so dont look to sleep in.

Wayne Nat'l. Wildcat Hollow to be exact. There are miles of old gravel and dirt roads that are/or once were used to maintain oil rigs. They are state roads and an average truck or even car can make it to most locations. It's secluded and NO ONE is around. Also, there is Burr Oak State park/lake near by for your hiking pleasure.

Guest MissTypeS

I recommend Lake Hope (kind of down by OU). It's absolutely gorgeous, and you have the option of camping in tents at a campground with other people and bathrooms, or the option to camp at a site that is so remote that you have to use a canoe to get there. Not a chance of seeing anyone else for a while. Lovely.

+1 for not taking the dogs. There's too much risk involved for their safety, IMO. It can be hard enough taking care of yourself, but what happens if one of them gets in trouble or injured? At Lake Hope you'd have a very, very long canoe ride back to civilization to get them help. Just a thought.

-kristen

google red river gorge.

They have designated campgrounds/hostels around if you want to go that route, or you can just drive into the forest, park in one of many little gravel "lots", hike to your spot and do your thing. There are some great scenic views there as well, some of which you have to drive to. I dont know if the park is "dog friendly" or not. A couple people die there each year by slipping and falling over an edge, so you would probably want them on a leash.

Boundary waters canoe area in Minnesota. Basically you canoe across a lake, carry the canoe to another lake, paddle, carry, paddle....then you are 1/2 mile from BFE.

Here are the photos from my last trip there. -->

http://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=photos.view&catid=388&viewusername=AkulaShark&journalname=Isabella%20SEPT2005

He said he would like to stay near home and you guys are pointing out different states, lol.

There is a state park in Delaware that is pretty nice, and I believe you can camp there if memory serves me right.

Camping = teh win. Bring a cooler full of beer, start a fire, can't beat it.

He said he would like to stay near home and you guys are pointing out different states, lol.

There is a state park in Delaware that is pretty nice, and I believe you can camp there if memory serves me right.

Granted red river gorge is in KY, but its only 2 hours past Cinci. Thats still close to home in my book.

Exactly, I'm looking for something in Ohio, preferably within an hour or two drive of my house in Delaware. I was thinking maybe something down near Hocking Hills or Wayne National Forest as well. Thoughts on that area? :confused:

I'll try to answer your original question. (Though I'm not sure of the dog scenario). We used to camp all the time, every summer! Where - the absolute best & our family favorite / Salt Fork State Park off rt 70 exit at Cambridge, Oh. Approx a 2 hr drive from Delaware. Nice camping spots, secluded & secure. Campers have their own sandy beach on the huge lake there. There are many hiking trails & loads of wildlife. Indoor pool at parks lodge open for the campers too. You can't beat it really -

I'll try to answer your original question. (Though I'm not sure of the dog scenario). We used to camp all the time, every summer! Where - the absolute best & our family favorite / Salt Fork State Park off rt 70 exit at Cambridge, Oh. Approx a 2 hr drive from Delaware. Nice camping spots, secluded & secure. Campers have their own sandy beach on the huge lake there. There are many hiking trails & loads of wildlife. Indoor pool at parks lodge open for the campers too. You can't beat it really -

Thanks, that place looks good. I looked at a few other parks online, but when they talk about "campsites", they mean actual campsites where people will be around. I want to be off the beaten path with no one around, not at a designated "camp site." You know what I mean? Do the parks allow that? For you to camp where you want, within reason? I was looking at this park, and on the map, there looks to be a good trail out of the way, the #5... :)

that type of camping, while it may be found is going to be hard to find in ohio. 99% of ohios state parks have campsites and are usually pay per night sites. You may be able to find a trail in the wayne national forest that allows trail side camping. You may also be able to camp somewhere along the buckeye trail. I'm not sure how that all works because I'm not really into hiking, but I do know the state parks, state forests, and the wayne national forest. The WNF has very few pay per use sites and has alot of primitive sites. IE no water, electric, or bath houses. you can find alot of these in the WNF along St. Rt 26 near Marietta. Thats about 2.5 hours from delaware. If your into driving and scenery that would be a great area.

Evan

Ohio power lands south of Zanesville. It's free and if you go on a weekend that is not a holiday it's pretty easy to find a spot off by yourself. Also my buddy used to take his dog with us all the time and we never had a problem.

Ohio power lands south of Zanesville. It's free and if you go on a weekend that is not a holiday it's pretty easy to find a spot off by yourself. Also my buddy used to take his dog with us all the time and we never had a problem.

Sweet! I'm researching this right now, looks good so far! :)

What's it's like there? Are there lots of hills? I've never been out there before... :)

Mostly rolling hills, pretty secluded. If you like to fish there are lots of ponds but the best ones are the ones that are the hardest to get to. It's all primitave so there is no power or running water available but they do have outhouses and if I remember right they have some of those old hand pumps around to bring up water from wells. Once and awhile they drop off big piles of scrap wood from a nearby lumber yard for firewood but you better have a chainsaw or something because most of the pieces are 10 to 15 feet long.

I've been camping there for years mostly at area C dunno why we just seem to end up there. We've partied pretty hard at times and we have never had anyone say anything to us, come to think of it if I have ever seen a park ranger its only been once or twice. Just make sure if you want to camp on a holiday weekend you get there in the middle of the week because it gets packed.