Title question

Run the vin at the title office, see if you can contact the person that the title is still issued to. They can then get a title re printed and signed over to you.

If you cant find them, you can take it to a judge (probate maybe? ask your title office) and present him with the bill of sale, he can then order it titled in your name.

Guest powers
the person needs to go to the title office and have a title reprinted in his name. Until them you have no clue if he even owns the car or has liens on it.

the person needs to go to the title office and have a title reprinted in his name. Until them you have no clue if he even owns the car or has liens on it.

:nod:

I would NEVER buy a car without a title. No money would even change hands until they had it, be it the original copy or a reprinted one... :)

If he gives you the bill of sale and not a title, i think that you will most likely have to get the vehicle inspected by the Ohio Highway Patroll and title it as a self assembled vehicle... the process it self does not sound complicated but it might get that way... if he truly is the owner of the vehicle he should not have any problems getting a title from the BMV...

Andrew is correct on this one.

All you need is their information. BUT, I do not believe you need to see a judge. If I remember correctly the BMV will try to contact them for around a month's time, and if that times passes, they will issue you the title. I could be wrong though.

I think this could go either way. One time i bought a car really cheap from a guy and he ignored my calls and didnt give me the title. I went to the bmv and tried to get it but they sent me a letter about a month later refusing to give me the title. I guess the bill of sale wasnt good enough. Luckily I just left a few threats on his phone and payed him a little visit and ended up getting it :)