Good News for anti-illegal immigration

chrismindless

Despite the rain outside, this made my day and my birthday ...

http://www.cis.org/articles/2006/2006poll.html

This is a poll that outlines how americans feel and think about the issues of immigration and illegal-immigration.

Highlights are as follows:

2. OTHER POLLS OFFER ONLY 2 OPTIONS FOR DEALING WITH ILLEGAL ALIENS ALREADY HERE -- But voters soundly reject legalization when given 3 options

Zogby shows that when given 3 options, Americans reject legalization and far prefer the "3rd Way" of "attrition" for dealing with the 12 million illegal aliens already in this country.

The attrition method involves steadily increasing enforcement so that more and more illegal aliens voluntarily decide to go back home (meaning that U.S. taxpayers don't have to pay for them to return).

What a relief!

Most other polls have given voters a choice between (1) mass deportations of illegal aliens and (2) giving them a legalization path if they pay fines, learn English and obey other laws.

When presented with that choice, polls are clear that most! Americans are squeamish about the thought of millions of people being rounded up and shipped out over a short period of time.

Thus, most polls have shown small majorities of Americans choose the legalization option.

The problem is that the public almost never is told that there is a third option -- and that option is what the U.S. House passed in December.

Following are the percentage choosing each of the Zogby poll choices:

28% prefer the Senate proposals of "allowing the 12 million illegal immigrants in the country to earn citizenship, coupled with a doubling of legal immigration from 1 million to 2 million a year, and increased enforcement of immigration laws."

12% prefer "mass deportations and roundups."

56% prefer the House 'attrition' approach of "trying to reduce the number of illeg! al immigrants in the country by enforcing immigration laws, and making illegal immigrants go home over time, with no increase in legal immigration."

That makes 68% choosing one of the two options that involve only enforcement.

In another question, the likely voters were told that the House of Representatives has passed a bill to try to make illegal immigrants go home through the three following primary means:

by fortifying the border

by forcing businesses to verify that workers are legally in the country

by allowing greater cooperation by law enforcement

When those three main ingredients of H.R. 4437 were given to likely voters, they were asked what they thought of the bill. Their answer:

69% said GOOD or VERY GOOD idea

27% said BAD or VERY BAD idea

We have been working to distribute these results to all Representatives who voted for H.R. 4437 last December. We are t! elling them that despite one of the most lop-sided media efforts in history to demonize their bill, an overwhelming majority of Americans say they like what they did -- once those Americans are given a neutral description.

So, every time you encounter a Member of Congress, tell them that you support what most Americans support: the enforcement-only provisions of the House-passed H.R. 4437!

Please carry this message of the 3rd Option in letters you write to newspapers and in phone calls you make to talk shows.

Call up the news editors and the reporters on newspapers that you believe have provided unfair coverage of the debate. Explain to them that their stories should always include all three options and that they should note that the Attrition Option is by far the most preferred.

By the way, the Attrition option of the House bill includes deportations at a moderately higher level than we have today -- just not at the level of millions a y! ear required under the "mass deportation" option.

3. AMERICANS DON'T WANT INCREASES IN IMMIGRATION .... They want reductions!

The Zogby poll shows that on immigration generally, Americans want less, not more, immigration.

Only 26% said immigrants were assimilating fine and that immigration should continue at current levels

67% said immigration should be reduced so we can assimilate those already here.

While the Senate is considering various bills that would increase legal immigration from 1 million to 2 million a year, there is no sign that Americans see a need for any increase at all.

Only 2% of Americans believe current immigration is "too low."

Overwhelming rejection of the idea that we need more immigration could be found in every grouping of "likely voter" participants in the survey:

Hispanics, ! Blacks, Whites

Catholics, Mainline Protestants, Born-Again Christians, Jews

Democrats, Republicans, Independents

Conservatives, Moderates, Liberals and even Progressives

All income levels

All education levels

All regions of the country

All age groups

Married, Divorced/Separated and Singles

These results follow the pattern of other surveys asking a similar question, but they are more dramatic.

The difference is that before answering the question of whether immigration numbers are too high, about right or too low, likely voters were given some actual numbers. They were told that there are currently 37 million immigrants in this country and that current policy brings in 1 million new immigrants a year.

Once Americans are given a sense of the magnitude of current immigration, the! y have no stomach for increasing the numbers.

I suggest that we all use those two numbers as much as possible: 37 million and 1 million a year.

4. WIDESPREAD DISBELIEF IN OPEN BORDERS ARGUMENTS BY BUSH & KENNEDY

One reason the public does not like legalizations is that they are skeptical of need for illegal-immigrant labor.

77 percent said there are plenty of Americans to fill low-wage jobs if employers pay more and treat workers better

Just 15 percent said there are not enough Americans for such jobs

Is this in contradiction with polls that have shown the majority of Americans to say illegal aliens do jobs Americans won't do?

No.

Americans appear in other polls to be saying that the jobs as they now exist (pay, benefits, working conditions) are jobs that most Americans won't do.

But in this Zogby poll, they are asked if Americans WOULD DO th! e jobs if employers paid more and treated workers better.

It shows that nearly all Americans can see through President Bush's and Sen. Kennedy's rhetoric about our economy's dependency on foreign labor.

Another reason the public does not like Senate proposals to legalize illegals and double legal immigration is a lack of confidence in our government to ensure security and safety:

73% said they had little or no confidence in the ability of the government to screen these additional applicants to weed out terrorists and criminals.

This relates especially to NumbersUSA's efforts the past months through Congress and the media to warn of the ineptitude within the Department of Homeland Security.

The Center for Immigration Studies says that the "public also does not buy the argument we have tried and failed to enforce the law."

That is the argument we have heard so often from the ne! wspaper editorialists and columnists, as well as such apologists for i llegal immigration as Tamar Jacoby and Grover Norquist.

71% felt that past enforcement efforts have been "grossly inadequate"

Only 19 percent felt we had made a "real effort" to enforce our laws.

While the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Washington Post and Chicago Tribune repetitively say that past efforts at enforcement prove that there is nothing this nation can do to stop illegal immigration, most Americans believe we haven't really tried, yet.

This Zogby poll shows that the American people have been paying attention ...

... that the American people aren't at all fooled by the rhetoric of Big Media, Big Business, Big Labor, Big Academe and Big Religion that we need to flood this country with even more giant waves of immigration ...

... that we should be able to easily enlist a million Americans in our internet army to counteract! all the illegal-alien marchers.

Our immigration laws are not enforced!!!!! I have lost count at how many illegal's I have arrested and taken to jail only to see them again in a week. I impound the car and see it a few days later diving around. Most are for no ops or OVI. I wish they would get this shit fixed soon...

Our immigration laws are not enforced!!!!! I have lost count at how many illegal's I have arrested and taken to jail only to see them again in a week. I impound the car and see it a few days later diving around. Most are for no ops or OVI. I wish they would get this shit fixed soon...

Fucking A. I have nothing against Mexicans... unless they came here illegally and fail to respect our country's customs and laws. I've met some Mexicans that were cool as shit. They worked hard for what they had, and were here legally. On the other side of the spectrum, my family knows this guy who got busted for hiring illegal immigrants. Not only was he hiring them, but as part of their pay he gave them housing, cars, identification, etc. Fucking scum of the earth if you ask me. This shit pisses me off. I need a smoke.

HR 4437 is what you are both talking abuot ... the bill that is being protested ... it outlines hardcore measures to control the borders, gets rid of catch and release tactics, forces all businesses to prove the citizenship of current and future workers ... does not allow any benefits for illegals.

it doesnt deport ppl, it creates a situation where its almost impossible to cross the border and its near impossible to find work without a legit citizenship ... that alone will force ppl to leave and the ones we catch and send home will have a hard time getting back ...

thats what we're going for.

Most of the mexicans that made it all the way to columbus work hard. They have to come a long way to get here, therefore they are motivated and want what we all want. I have no problem with that, just pay into the same system I do.

If a guy hires an illegal he knows the SSN is fake so he withholds FICA from the illegals check and puts it in his pocket. These bastards should have to stop that and quick. I don't think that is good and the verification thing would help fix that, not solve it but help to fix it.